[1.1B0 13 Nov] Edit n/reading now/side btns/RecentApps+ActivityPicker+ForceOrient!!!!

Search This thread

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this app.

THIS IS SPARTA! (BETA)

NEW Distribution policy:
This mod provided exclusively on xda-developers as downloadable jars and app, please post link to this thread instead of copying files to other resources, so users will be able to track changes and report bugs in one place.
However, I allow distribution in the rooting/sideloading packages such as MinimalTouch, Nooters, etc..., but only if credit/thanks and link to this thread are given and I'm notified.

About http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18138068&postcount=2

What's new
Version (jars) 1.1-beta0
*** Jars updated to work with Nook 1.1 update

Version 1.0-beta2
* Force landscape orientation, every app (even stock B&N apps) will be in lanscape, B&N reader still shows text with hardcoded width tho.
*** If in portrait - force to landscape, app settings cannot override behaviour
*** If in landscape - return to default portrait mode, where if app request landscape it will get it.
* 4 Side hard buttons configurable in app
* Configurable recent dialog bottom button bar with "back", "home", "menu", "search", "Force orientation change"
* New action "B&N Quicknav" on n long click
* Clear dalvik-cache button
* Fix framework permissions button
Version 1.0-beta1
* Configurable quick nav, n button (short and long presses), reading now button actions
* Recent apps dialog
* Activity Picker

Version 1.0-alpha
Initial release with external recent apps dialog (NookTouchHomeButton app obsolete now.)

ToDo
* Fix issues if any
* TBD Add eInk refresh rate, etc.

Technical details http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18138076&postcount=3

How to:
* Device should be ROOTED
* Jars 1.1b0 are based on 1.1
* Jars 1.0b2 are based on 1.0.1 (but should work on 1.0.0)
* Download jars.zip, unpack
* Backup originals from /system/framework/android.policy.jar and /system/framework/services.jar (consider to backup full device)
* Copy into /media or /sdcard in your nook if you not planning to use adb
* Remount /system to read-write using one of the following:
*** adb: adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
*** remount program from market
*** Total Commander click on right most icon in bottom bar, click on + icon that appears on expanded bar, select internal command, click on >> button and select icon with 'rw', click OK/Apply, Navigate to /system in left panel and click 'rw' icon.
* copy downloaded android.policy.jar to the /system/framework using:
*** adb push android.policy.jar /system/framework/
*** adb push services.jar /system/framework/
*** Total Commander - select /system/framework/ in one panel and /media or /sdcard in other (click -> -> -> overlay to change panels), select android.policy.jar and services.jar by clicking on it's icons and copy (to system, not from of course) by clicking second icon (from left) in bottom most bar
* REBOOT Nook Simple Touch
* Install app
* Click fix permissions button
* Click clear dalvik cache button (Nook will reboot on success)
* Unlock after reboot and verify by:
*** Long-press n button - this should bring recent menu
*** Application NookTouchTools should have unlocked Configuration button

P.S. NookTouchHomeButton app is obsolete.
P.S.S. Developers interesting in process of patching are welcome to pm (I plan to open source patches/code, but no time right now).

Thanks to:
JesusFreke - for smali/baksmali
Cyanogenmod team - for the warning text

Attachments

• jars-1.0b2.zip
    613.8 KB · Views: 3,191
  • NookTouchTools-1.0b2.apk
    163 KB · Views: 5,613
  • jars-1.1b0_nook1.1.zip
    614.4 KB · Views: 4,565
Last edited:

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Features of mod
* Will return stock android go to home by short press of "n" button and recent apps dialog on long press (Configurable)
* All B&N quicknav buttons configurable, it even loads apps icons (after reboot)
* Reading now" button configurable
* Force landscape orientation
* Ability to simulate key event (system wide) without root from any app, developers PM me if interested.
* NOTE: Installation of the jars w/o conf will have stock B&N effect + recent apps

Features of application
* Implements Activity Picker, so any app (i.e. Launcher Pro) can use "Shourtcuts" dialog that B&N removed.
* Configuration UI for above mod
* Configuration UI for page (side) hard buttons

Last edited:

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Some technical details
* Patched android.policy.jar:
*** Injected home button code from AOSP, with configuration check between goto home and b&n quicknav toggle
*** Fixed recent apps dialog with configuration check to launch recent apps dialog or configured app launch
* Patched services.jar
*** "Reading now" button check for configured launch value (possible values: Home, Back, Menu, Search, Long Search, Custom App, B&N default)
*** All quicknav buttons configurable and will load icons (once, onCreate) possible values same as above.
* ActivityPicker - B&N removed default activity (usually in Settings.apk) to serve ACTION_PICK_ACTIVITY requests, so I added it back to the app and now able to add shortcuts/edit doc shortcuts in Launcher Pro...
* Configuration - All above configurable values stored in Settings.System so both system jars and Conf app can access it.
*** executes as root following code and reboots
Code:
busybox rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache/*

*** executes as root:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
chown root.root /system/framework/*
chmod 644 /system/framework/*

Last edited:

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
To make it simple (I guess), using root explorer (can't get adb to run on my computer):
- download android.policy.jar
- backup original copy of the same file from /system/framework
- make directory writeable
- put new copy in the same directory
- fix permisssions (what sort of permission? 755?)
- make directory non-writeable
- Install apk
- boot
- PROFIT?

What the heck? Nook STR color screen? New nook to fight Amazon Fire?

Last edited:
Reactions: cymoze

domi.nos

Jan 5, 2011
Warszawa
Ok, so i installed it without problems. What i see is:
1. I don't see ant profit in having home, back, search in that window ;/ everyone will still use button savior.
2. It should be bigger.
3. Instead of those home, back buttons maybe add those from stock n button app? it is hard to access library in instance.
Would you?

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
What the heck? Nook STR color screen? New nook to fight Amazon Fire?
Lol, it's screenshot man, do you think screenshot is coming from eInk itself?

Ok, so i installed it without problems. What i see is:
1. I don't see ant profit in having home, back, search in that window ;/ everyone will still use button savior.
2. It should be bigger.
3. Instead of those home, back buttons maybe add those from stock n button app? it is hard to access library in instance.
Would you?
Great, some feedback.

1. That's you, I love to have screen as clear as possible, but this could be configurable, right?
2. This could be configurable as well.
3. Goto 1

Last edited:

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
At the moment I still have access to the B&N home via the 'n' key. I then use ButtonSavior and NookButtonMenu for the apps menu, that way I still have the B&N menu.

I wonder if this might be better.

Happy to see lots of handy apps. I wonder if CM7 port might be more of a catch-all

Reactions: UomoNero

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
At the moment I still have access to the B&N home via the 'n' key. I then use ButtonSavior and NookButtonMenu for the apps menu, that way I still have the B&N menu.

I wonder if this might be better.

Happy to see lots of handy apps. I wonder if CM7 port might be more of a catch-all

First,
I'm not using any of the b&n apps because of the lack of the russian books.
So QuickNav (this is name from the code) is completely useless for me.

Second,
Home button is the native android feature and I don't like to have even that small button savior button (and cause it's small it's difficult to click on) while I have other options to utilize unused resources (reading not and n buttons).

Third,
I would not count on CM, as using cm7 for a 1/2 year on captivate - it's battery hog, but best/smoothest experience.
Honestly, I don't care of silk smooth (even if it can be 100% performance boost) performance and other cm7 features, but I do care of partial refresh and battery life.

Reactions: densets

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Wow, Thanks for your work in making this app. I'm going to leave it on and see how I feel about it. I have a feeling I'm going to miss being able to access my library but we'll see. Just wondering how difficult it would be to keep the original popup menu but replace the B&N functions with your functions? I hope I'm making sense. Ryan

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, thanks for the great work. Now the N button has a real function. I got to switch between apps in portrait and landscape mode, each one keeping its orientation. I also get to program in RFO basic, using the manual just by switching apps in ezpdf and the program itself.
And I even get to keep button saviour minimized, so I get to type "P" and zero, which were partially covered by the off button!
Once again, thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

BTW, the back button, the one that looks like a list and the zoom/search button shows a popup "Not rooted?". The home and orientation buttons work fine.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
BTW, the back button, the one that looks like a list and the zoom/search button shows a popup "Not rooted?". The home and orientation buttons work fine.

You are welcome.
Not rooted for that buttons is only because it's the buttons required root, home and orientation done usual legal android way.
I've seen the same with latest Superuser denying root commands for no apparent reason. Will have to play with it.
Anyway try to reboot, then bring up the menu and make sure to select check box to always allow root to this app and click allow.

Will see, if I move app to the policy jar and framework res itself it will not require root anymore as injectKeyEvent available inside system jars.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Didn't work. Still showing the "not rooted?" popup.
Just didn't figured where I can find the checkbox to always allow root - superuser app list doesn't show nook button app, or shows a way I can add an app to its list.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Didn't work. Still showing the "not rooted?" popup.
Just didn't figured where I can find the checkbox to always allow root - superuser app list doesn't show nook button app, or shows a way I can add an app to its list.

Reboot unplugged from USB (otherwise it will overlay root request dialog) long press n button and if dialog shows to allow root make sure to select checkbox.

I'll take a look today to request root over and over if one failed.

EDIT: Just removed root privileges from my app manually and after reboot it failed siletly, will take a look. Try uninstall then reinstall, works here.

Last edited:

deepdusky

Mar 13, 2009
Good afternoon. I ask to forgive for the bad English, it for me not the native.
It would be desirable to learn, whether probably to reassign short press for a call app launcher and long press for a call recent?
Thanks.

unattached

Jul 23, 2009
works like a charm!

the long press takes a little bit too long for my taste, half the time would be enough, i think..

thanks!

tebra

Dec 8, 2010
it's a very nice hack of the nook touch.
The "long presse" is a little too long and the window menu a little too smal

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, updated superuser, and re-registered all programs that needed rooted android, and the buttons came back to life.
And I do agree that long press should be called very-very-long-press. If you can fix, better. If not, it won't be a couple of seconds that's gonna make it a bad app.

XorZone

Jan 19, 2009
Walnut Creek, CA
Well, updated superuser, and re-registered all programs that needed rooted android, and the buttons came back to life.
And I do agree that long press should be called very-very-long-press. If you can fix, better. If not, it won't be a couple of seconds that's gonna make it a bad app.

Usual android show dialog immediately, in order not to package it inside policy jar right now, I'm sending broadcast from policy, then handle it in broadcast receiver in app and show dialog - this is the cause of delay. It will be solved once app moves to the policy.jar itself.

I'm thinking of leaving old quicknav menu for short press, but make it configurable, e.g. Configured apps instead of Library, Shop and Settings and if possible leave search as search button (short search and longpress search).

That do you think?
Also, do you need home, back, menu and other buttons on the bottom of the dialog?

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, I liked the duo short press/home x long press/recent apps. But making short/long press configurable for original style nook / new style nook (with selected apps) / recent apps / home / back would be good too - would just think twice regarding menu with selected apps, all the rest would be plain good

D

dorino1

Configurable would be great. As is, this is a great little app and it beats the hell out of the n-button's normal functions if you don't actually use the B&N stuff.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAMER and WARNING: I'm not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or the current economic crisis. Please do some research if you have any concerns about this app.

THIS IS SPARTA! (BETA)

NEW Distribution policy:
    This mod provided exclusively on xda-developers as downloadable jars and app, please post link to this thread instead of copying files to other resources, so users will be able to track changes and report bugs in one place.
    However, I allow distribution in the rooting/sideloading packages such as MinimalTouch, Nooters, etc..., but only if credit/thanks and link to this thread are given and I'm notified.

About http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18138068&postcount=2

What's new
    Version (jars) 1.1-beta0
    *** Jars updated to work with Nook 1.1 update

Version 1.0-beta2
    * Force landscape orientation, every app (even stock B&N apps) will be in lanscape, B&N reader still shows text with hardcoded width tho.
    *** If in portrait - force to landscape, app settings cannot override behaviour
    *** If in landscape - return to default portrait mode, where if app request landscape it will get it.
    * 4 Side hard buttons configurable in app
    * Configurable recent dialog bottom button bar with "back", "home", "menu", "search", "Force orientation change"
    * New action "B&N Quicknav" on n long click
    Version 1.0-beta1
    * Configurable quick nav, n button (short and long presses), reading now button actions
    * Recent apps dialog
    * Activity Picker

Version 1.0-alpha
    Initial release with external recent apps dialog (NookTouchHomeButton app obsolete now.)

ToDo
    * Fix issues if any
    * TBD Add eInk refresh rate, etc.

Technical details http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18138076&postcount=3

How to:
    * Device should be ROOTED
    * Jars 1.1b0 are based on 1.1
    * Jars 1.0b2 are based on 1.0.1 (but should work on 1.0.0)
    * Download jars.zip, unpack
    * Backup originals from /system/framework/android.policy.jar and /system/framework/services.jar (consider to backup full device)
    * Copy into /media or /sdcard in your nook if you not planning to use adb
    * Remount /system to read-write using one of the following:
    *** adb: adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
    *** remount program from market
    *** Total Commander click on right most icon in bottom bar, click on + icon that appears on expanded bar, select internal command, click on >> button and select icon with 'rw', click OK/Apply, Navigate to /system in left panel and click 'rw' icon.
    * copy downloaded android.policy.jar to the /system/framework using:
    *** adb push android.policy.jar /system/framework/
    *** adb push services.jar /system/framework/
    *** Total Commander - select /system/framework/ in one panel and /media or /sdcard in other (click -> -> -> overlay to change panels), select android.policy.jar and services.jar by clicking on it's icons and copy (to system, not from of course) by clicking second icon (from left) in bottom most bar
    * REBOOT Nook Simple Touch
    * Install app
    * Click fix permissions button
    * Click clear dalvik cache button (Nook will reboot on success)
    * Unlock after reboot and verify by:
    *** Long-press n button - this should bring recent menu
    *** Application NookTouchTools should have unlocked Configuration button

P.S. NookTouchHomeButton app is obsolete.
    P.S.S. Developers interesting in process of patching are welcome to pm (I plan to open source patches/code, but no time right now).

Thanks to:
    JesusFreke - for smali/baksmali
    Cyanogenmod team - for the warning text
    Just dont make the launcher nook specific, but e-ink specific. That way it will work for the ereaders to come (sony prs T1 =p)

Lol, sure, it only specific to work on >= 600x800 resolution and android 2.1+.

Have very busy week, but made some progress, will report with screenshots tomorrow.
    See this response by Gabrial: Update and jars

XorZone's jars would not be compatible with 1.1 if I understand correctly.

Correct, it was not tested and will not work with 1.1.
    Once I'll have a bit of time - I'll update the jars based on the 1.1 release.
    Any luck figuring how to rename apps in the quick nav?
    Haven't really looked at it, see below.

Also, another suggestion. Can you add SPACE as a choice for the Side Buttons Options? Often space can serve as a pagedown in some apps.
    New version will add ANY valid key values.
    BUT do not expect it really soon as I'm working primary on Launcher now (will tease you soon with screenshots) and in business trip right now and another one coming...
    Features of mod
    * Will return stock android go to home by short press of "n" button and recent apps dialog on long press (Configurable)
    * All B&N quicknav buttons configurable, it even loads apps icons (after reboot)
    * Reading now" button configurable
    * Force landscape orientation
    * Ability to simulate key event (system wide) without root from any app, developers PM me if interested.
    * NOTE: Installation of the jars w/o conf will have stock B&N effect + recent apps

Features of application
    * Implements Activity Picker, so any app (i.e. Launcher Pro) can use "Shourtcuts" dialog that B&N removed.
    * Configuration UI for above mod
    * Configuration UI for page (side) hard buttons