Semi Bricked/Bricked Phone Needs Fixing

Search This thread

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
Hi Guys -
First time android user and attempted rooting using the odin method. I followed the instruction listed here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311194 to the "T" before starting. I was doing alright until after flashing the recovery-cwm-hercules.tar, then it gets weird. It didn't flash to recovery but just rebooted to the main screen (where I could see the background picture with the locker pattern), then it immediately shuts off and the cycle begins again.

The weird thing is that I can't even access recovery mode (hold vol. up+down+power), because I'll see the Clockworkmod logo then it flickers and reboot itself. This happens every time I attempted recovery mode.

My attempts to fix it:
1. I flashed the recovery, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1315390, to see if it makes any difference. The same story happens with loading to main screen w/locker then it reboots itself again and again. Sometimes I'll be lucky to input the pattern but before soon it will reboot itself again. Same thing with recovery mode as described above.
2. Flashing the stock kernel provided by http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1311229 to see if it does anything. Nope, same story for both recovery mode/home screen.
3. The insecure kernel, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1320946. Same story. nope, nope.
4. Tried these in all order and permutation. Nada.
5. Tried it both ways using samsung driver/kies.
6. Tried it both ways with/without SIM card.
7. Battery is fully charged when attempting any flashing.
8. All the above in my second computer to no avail.

I'm sorry if this might come across as long winded but I just want you guys to get the full picture. I would really appreciate it if you guys could offer any solutions or advice on how to correct this problem. Please be gentle with this first time android user haha, thanks in advance man.

Romanbb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
aokp.co
Manually boot into recovery (vol up/down keys) and make a backup (be sure to do this). Then try wipe data/factory reset through recovery. Sounds like a ROM issue not a hardware issue

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
First off, thanks roman for the quick reply. That's the thing I can't get to recovery manually with the button combinations. When I do that it gives me this message:

[Picture]White dropbox/mail box with a yellow arrow pointing to the Android

"Verifying internal mmc block
Checksum confirmation check (0)
No need checksum confirmation already exceuted
#manual mode#"

It would then reboot and goes to the screen with the locker then immediately repeats that cycle. It doesn't have any wipe options/restart now/etc.
No way to power it down except with battery removal. I've attempted what you suggested many times too to no avail.

Romanbb

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle
aokp.co
First off, thanks roman for the quick reply. That's the thing I can't get to recovery manually with the button combinations. When I do that it gives me this message:

[Picture]White dropbox/mail box with a yellow arrow pointing to the Android

"Verifying internal mmc block
Checksum confirmation check (0)
No need checksum confirmation already exceuted
#manual mode#"

It would then reboot and goes to the screen with the locker then immediately repeats that cycle. It doesn't have any wipe options/restart now/etc.
No way to power it down except with battery removal. I've attempted what you suggested many times too to no avail.

Ok, so if it actually boots into the ROM but reboots, try rebooting to recovery from adb -- "adb reboot recovery"

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
think it's a no go :(. i tried using adb recovery method and the same thing would occur, it would restart and seems to load into recovery mode but then I would only see the logo, then it flickers and restart itself.

then the vicious cycle of loading up to the screen-locker and restarting itself begins. guess this is the smartphone version of being friend-zoned.

reocej

Mar 14, 2009
Have you tried taking battery out then back in and while holding volume up/down plug it back into computer? That has never failed to get me into d/l mode. Man I hope you get it working.

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
Yeah I tried that and getting to download mode is not the problem. just that recovery mode doesn't boot properly in that it would restarts itself. and when i boot normally to screen, i would see the locker and background picture then within 3 secs, it would restart itself.

Guess last resort is to go to t-mobile store, play dumb, and get samsung on it. only problem is that i worry about the flash rom counter # since mine is like 10 already (my attempts to address this problem). Let's hope those tmobile reps aren't that tech savvy.

Thanks for all the help fellas, great early posting experiences so far.

kt0ce

Oct 31, 2007
I'm sorry I've read your post..and i'm confuse, if you're able to go into download mode, then why could you just start Odin and flash the recovery again. If its unsuccessful then check the MD5 to see if you have a bad download. I think you should download the recoveries files again add give Odin another shot..Good luck..
Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
I'm sorry I've read your post..and i'm confuse, if you're able to go into download mode, then why could you just start Odin and flash the recovery again. If its unsuccessful then check the MD5 to see if you have a bad download. I think you should download the recoveries files again add give Odin another shot..Good luck..
Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

I'm going to give it another try. I've been trying it with different files for a good 2 days now though.

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
are you able to go into CW recovery ?

if so, you can mount the USB, download a stock ROM, and then flash it using CWR

I understand that but that's the a big problem. If I could go to CW it would be a different story but I can't go into CW recovery. I would be able to see the logo CWR and the version number then immediately it shuts off again and reboot. Happens every time without fail.

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I understand that but that's the a big problem. If I could go to CW it would be a different story but I can't go into CW recovery. I would be able to see the logo CWR and the version number then immediately it shuts off again and reboot. Happens every time without fail.

did you let go of holding the vol+ & vol- buttons as soon as you see the blue text in CWR ?

it can easily reboot by accident when holding those buttons and hitting power, but the buttons are so responsive it selected the first option to reboot the phone by accident a couple of times on me

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
I'm positive that I held it properly and long enough. I never got to the blue text, just the CWR logo showing then turns off (like you shutting off a tv) and reboots itself. Trying to flash it again with Odin didn't work either and I tried the recoveries from different sources as well.

I went to the Tmobile store today and seems like they'll mail me a replacement then I'll return my current one to them. Only thing is stocking/processing fee but it's a small price to pay if it resolves everything.

reocej

Mar 14, 2009
Dude if you can get into download mode then it can most likely be fixed by flashing stock through odin. This would save you some $$. Just saying.

redlaws

Nov 3, 2011
Dude if you can get into download mode then it can most likely be fixed by flashing stock through odin. This would save you some $$. Just saying.

Dude, I understand that it should but it's not. I've flashed the stock recovery for more than 10 times and I still can't past the home screen. It would just reboot itself in less than 3 sec. And I'm positive I flashed it properly. Believe me I don't want to spend extra money if I don't have too.