[Q] Problems with Nandroid advanced restore

Search This thread

paperskye

May 12, 2009
Detroit, MI
www.instagram.com
I actually have two questions here.

I'm trying to do an advance restore of the data from a previous backup using CWM. recovery 5.0.2.7 and having some problems.

In recovery, when I click on 'advanced restore' I am told there are no files. I then choose the regular 'restore' option and it shows the files to choose from.
I can then go back one screen and select 'advanced restore' again and it will now display the list of backups. When I select a backup and try to restore the data, I get a MD5 mismatch error. This happens when I try to do an advanced restore with any of my backups, not just a certain one. Also, I can do a normal restore without any problems.

I tried this:
http://www.geekdevs.com/2011/10/solved-md5-mismatch-error-on-clockworkmod/

Then this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1606047

I've read several threads but most of them seem to be solved after trying one of the above methods. I also haven't seen any that describe the backup list not displaying at first.

Secondly, I found this problem because I'm running Pyr'o'Ice ICS Desensed 1.1.3 and stupidly tried to tether with wifi and my phone got stuck in a reboot loop. I want to restore the userdata via Nandroid recovery, but will that also restore the tether setting that causes that bug?
My main issue is with the Nandroid recovery, but I thought someone reading this might also know the answer to that question also.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Emmanuel U

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
Chi-Town Suburbs
Edit: (didn't read whole post)
1. Open your sdcard on pc (usb mounted)
2. ensure there is a folder in clockworkmod/backup (ex: 2011-08-10.02.40.28)

if your sure the nandroid isn't corrupted and you want to restore it anyway, you can modify the md5sum.
1. go get a md5sum checker
2.With your phone mounted on your pc...go into the clockworkmod/backups/(yourbackups folder)
3. md5 sum all the images in there (write it down somewhere)
4. open the nandroid.md5 with a text editor
5. replace the md5s with the ones you wrote down
6. Try restoring it again

Last edited:

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
This doesn't appear to do anything

if your sure the nandroid isn't corrupted and you want to restore it anyway, you can modify the md5sum.
2.With your phone mounted on your pc...go into the clockworkmod/backups/(yourbackups folder)

I'm having exactly the same problem as the OP, and I'm not sure how this will help as all md5sum does is give the md5s listed in the nandroid.md5 file. Using this method, all one is doing is putting the exact same md5s over what is there in the nandroid.md5 file.

I really need a method to make the Nandroid Advance Restore work in order to get back my data after updating to 1.63.531.2.

Any other suggestions? --
--
KingCheetah

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
y do u guys need to advanced restore...just restore

Heh, well, in my case, I'm trying not to have to restore my phone from scratch after updating to 1.63.531.2, as well as keep the update. A straight restore will just take me back to DS Mod 1.55.531.3. Advanced Restore would allow restoration of data without overwriting the boot.img, system, etc.

So, no further methods to try to address this error?
--
KingCheetah

Emmanuel U

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 29, 2011
Chi-Town Suburbs
then take the system.img from the 1.63 update and put in replace of the nandroids one....then redo the md5 checksum for the system.img like i had showed before

Reactions: KingCheetah

paperskye

May 12, 2009
Detroit, MI
www.instagram.com

The md5s are already the same.
That also doesn't address the issue why I am told that there are no files found when I try the advanced restore option without first going to the regular restore and backing out.

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
Investigation ongoing, but an idea to help

That also doesn't address the issue why I am told that there are no files found when I try the advanced restore option without first going to the regular restore and backing out.
This may have something to do with the way in which CWM 5.0.2.7 saves the majority of data to tar files instead of img files. This behavior of CWM is part of the discussion in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1624516

Yogi2010 made the suggestion of using the Modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery for backups that can be successfully used with Advanced Restore. I believe Modaco's AR works because it saves all data to img files.

I'm going to attempt an update to 1.63 using Modaco for backup and then AR of data afterward. If successful, we know that Modaco is the key for utilizing AR due to the file type it uses for data storage.

Why CWM 5.0.2.7 behaves as it does regarding AR remains an open question.

I'll report back to this thread with results after my update attempt --
--
KingCheetah

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
Modaco functional with Advanced Restore

I used the Modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery for my backup prior to updating to 1.63, then followed with an Advanced Restore of data afterward, which successfully restored my phone environment. So AR is functional with Modaco, but not CWM 5.0.2.7. I don't know for certain if the fact that CWM uses tar files has something to do with its inability to execute AR, but it certainly seems like this is a contributing factor.

I'm going to Google this and see if I can come up with any further info on CWM that might explain its behavior.

So far, it's Modaco FTW. Itz on my fone, reestoring my data :D --
--
KingCheetah

paperskye

May 12, 2009
Detroit, MI
www.instagram.com
Did you use this to get Modaco? I noticed it says you must have s-off but in your thread you said you have s-on.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179125

My problem is that with the data I want to restore, my phone gets stuck in a boot loop. I am thinking that I might be able to install Modaco, restore the data where I can't start up my phone and then do a Modaco backup while still in recovery. Then restore a functioning backup (so my phone boots up) and finally do an advanced restore where I only restore the data I need from the bootloop backup.

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
Did you use this to get Modaco? I noticed it says you must have s-off but in your thread you said you have s-on.
That's the original thread Paul (Modaco's creator) posted. I downloaded my copy via Blue's invaluable Developers Reference: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=17384145&postcount=7. Scroll down to the Recovery section, and under Clockworkmod 4.0.0.9 Recovery there's a download link; but it's the same file.

As to being s-off, I think that's how things used to be. Obviously, all you need now is the bootloader to be unlocked so you can fastboot flash the recovery img file. Otherwise, I couldn't have been doing all the monkeying I've been doing recently. ;)

My problem is that with the data I want to restore, my phone gets stuck in a boot loop. I am thinking that I might be able to install Modaco, restore the data where I can't start up my phone and then do a Modaco backup while still in recovery. Then restore a functioning backup (so my phone boots up) and finally do an advanced restore where I only restore the data I need from the bootloop backup.

My experience is limited, but from your description, I'm not sure if the Advanced Restore option will be the smoking gun for your problem. The way I understand it, ClockworkMod recovery--of which Modaco is an unofficial flavor--takes the equivalent of a disk image of your phone while the OS is inactive (like many disk imaging programs for the PC). If you've got some ratty data causing the boot looping, that data is going to be stored along with everything else in the snapshot during backup. It will also be restored using regular restore or Advanced. So, I'm not certain how using a different recovery module will accomplish your goal of stopping the boot loop. Also, remember that any backups made with CWM 5.0.2.7 will be incompatible with Modaco recovery since it uses only img files.

This definitely needs to go to someone more experienced in troubleshooting Android, I think. Maybe you could edit the title of this thread to reflect the boot looping problem. This will hopefully get someone like Blue involved to help out. Sorry not to have a definitive answer for this. I suppose you could flash Modaco (same as you flashed CWM 5.0.2.7) and see if it does what you're hoping it will do. Best advice I can give.

Apologies for not having a concrete solution, and best of luck --
--
KingCheetah

IBtokin

Aug 28, 2011
Chicago
Same problem, with ANY restore

I'm running cwm 5.0.2.7 and can't restore any previous backups. When I run restore it restores a few things, but then it just stops and cwm recovery seems to abruptly reset. After that I get stuck on the splash screen after rebooting.I verified the md5s in the backup folder, also. All match.

I DID change the backup filename so I could find it easily in my backup folder, but it was doing the same thing even before I changed it.

Anyone else have the same issue?:confused:

Also, is there a way to restore the images through adb/fastboot, even though they were created by cwm recovery?

KingCheetah

Feb 6, 2012
Lynnwood
A small suggestion

I'm running cwm 5.0.2.7 and can't restore any previous backups. When I run restore it restores a few things, but then it just stops and cwm recovery seems to abruptly reset. After that I get stuck on the splash screen after rebooting.I verified the md5s in the backup folder, also. All match.

I DID change the backup filename so I could find it easily in my backup folder, but it was doing the same thing even before I changed it.
Check your backup filenames and make sure they don't have any spaces. If that isn't an issue, you might try reflashing CWM and see if that resolves its difficulties. CWM shouldn't be behaving as you describe if it has been installed properly. Only other thing I can think of is looking into any item installed on your phone that could possible not play nice with CWM. I don't know of any myself, but it's a possibility.

Also, is there a way to restore the images through adb/fastboot, even though they were created by cwm recovery?
Not that I know of; hopefully someone with more CWM knowledge will chime in on this thread.

Purrs --
--
KingCheetah

Reactions: IBtokin

blackknightavalon

Feb 1, 2009
Somewhere in NYC
Hmm...I'll have to check to see if the old fastboot method can still be used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nope. Nandroid used to save the files in .img format instead of the current one. This means no fastboot restore.

Sent from Spaceball One.

Last edited:
Reactions: IBtokin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

then take the system.img from the 1.63 update and put in replace of the nandroids one....then redo the md5 checksum for the system.img like i had showed before

A small suggestion

Check your backup filenames and make sure they don't have any spaces. If that isn't an issue, you might try reflashing CWM and see if that resolves its difficulties. CWM shouldn't be behaving as you describe if it has been installed properly. Only other thing I can think of is looking into any item installed on your phone that could possible not play nice with CWM. I don't know of any myself, but it's a possibility.

Not that I know of; hopefully someone with more CWM knowledge will chime in on this thread.

Purrs --
    --
    KingCheetah