i wanna root my sg3... is it worth it?

Search This thread

Shibby87

Mar 13, 2012
Pry your GS3 from the iron grip of Verizon and ROOT!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

bcurtiswx

Dec 20, 2012
I've found the whole process to be confusing because there are a ton of things that you can do. I think no matter what (and please correct me if I am wrong) that you should root your phone. Do your research and make sure that you are confident on what needs to be done, because you don't want to end up with a brick.

Then you need to choose what type of changes you want to make to your phone. Each ROM will do something different.

I'm a Clockwork and Cyanogen person.

malo1m

Jul 9, 2012
@ first I was very apprehensive about rooting my s3.
Now with All the tweaks I absolutely love my phone. I just keep finding new great tweaks. Xda forums really helps slot too. You must read read read again if you want smooth rooting experience

dems86

Nov 3, 2012
Sacramento
The first thing I thought after finally rooting my s3 was... why the hell didn't I do this sooner!!!! I've become a flashaholic now I've never looked back.

pcar1947

Jul 3, 2010
Atlanta
The first thing I thought after finally rooting my s3 was... why the hell didn't I do this sooner!!!! I've become a flashaholic now I've never looked back.

When i 1st rooted my thunderbolt i was apprehensive. I m now a full fledge flasholic n when i got my S3 i couldnt wait to root it. Speed, better battery life , backup capability free wifi tether are some of the benefits. My wife has an iphone 5 and she iz content 4 me it has to be a droid!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Chris123NT

Nov 12, 2012
Malabar, FL
I was apprehensive at first, but I decided to take the plunge and root and I couldn't be happier. Especially with how fast AOSP roms are on the S3.

fizzyness

Nov 6, 2012
Nashville
It is definatly worth it. I could not have imagined having any modern android smartphone without root. Galaxy S3 for sure because there are so many developers and options.

Stupifier

Jun 8, 2010
Here's what I did:
1. Open S3 box
2. Pull out phone
3. Plug Phone into computer
4. Root phone

I didn't even glance at my S3 before it was rooted.....

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Here's what I did:
1. Open S3 box
2. Pull out phone
4. Root phone

I did the same thing however thats what i ACTUALLY did. so because of that my GPS radio wasn't able to activate itself because it must first be done on the stock rom. I reflashed stock and fixed it of course, but that is something that should be kept in mind. i had to fix it on both of our phones.

fstbusa

Jan 6, 2011
Like everyone said, read up in what it is and whether or not you have a reason to do it. Then don't freak out if something happens and your phone won't boot. 99% of the time your phone is fixable.

I just upgraded from my old gs1 to the gs3 and love it. Already rooted/unlocked and running cm10 nightlies...... It isn't for everyone but for the ability to backup your phone alone it's worth it.

Reactions: Wizard Prang

OaklandZoo

Dec 28, 2012
Rooting and unlocking your device is really simple and safe. There is really no reason not to do so. Just do it in case you want to use a root only app or flash a rom in the future.

eldog

Jun 14, 2011
I was very apprehensive about rooting as well. After 6 months of debating, I went for it. I am very happy. I did ask I see that it unlocked many great features that you don't get out of the box.

Sent from my Executioner SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Stupifier

Jun 8, 2010
I did the same thing however thats what i ACTUALLY did. so because of that my GPS radio wasn't able to activate itself because it must first be done on the stock rom. I reflashed stock and fixed it of course, but that is something that should be kept in mind. i had to fix it on both of our phones.

You misunderstand....I ACTUALLY did this. At Verizon, the rep there already grabbed my phone and set all that GPS stuff up prior. She then put my phone back in its packaging and gave the box to me. So....I did ACTUALLY do what I said.

Hans5849

Apr 11, 2012
Here's what I did:
1. Open S3 box
2. Pull out phone
4. Root phone

Me too. Rooting is awesome, improves on the phone experience dramatically.
Honestly though, I'm waiting for the Rom's for 4.2.1 to mature some before making the switch. That's not to say they're not stable or will mess up your phone, I just prefer a finished product.

Eclipsed SIII

TomThom

Nov 26, 2012
Glendale
Here's a good site with tutorials and video on everything you need to root your s3, www.galaxys3root.com. this person pretty much has a site for all the newest Samsung devices for all the carriers. Good luck and happy rooting!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You don't need to root to get a stock jellybean release on your phone. You would use a program called odin and put your phone into download mode and it will flash the system on your phone. If you don't like it or need to warranty your phone you just odin back to a official verizon release.

You can follow this guide, you would need 1,2,and 8. Then just follow the steps included. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974114

Rooting is something you would do if you wanted to run apps or alter system files that require special privileges to access, read or write. A good reason to root is flash a custom recovery. The custom recovery will allow you to make backups of your phone. If something breaks on your system you can simply restore a backup in like 10 mins and its good as new :D

If you want to flash a rom then you will need to rooted AND have your bootloader unlocked. Its a pretty easy process to do everything as long as you pay attention. I.e. don't flash a rom meant for another carriers S3 or the international S3 cause you will hard brick your phone and have to mail it to someone with like $60 to get it fixed :p A good rom to try first would be CleanRom imo. There are many guides around this forum, just read em and reread em then go at it. If you are unsure about something then ask before you do it.

P.s. Backup your imei...... here is a great guide on how to do everything... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1762709
    I just recently had to make the same decision! Finally, after a good bit of research and youtube video watching, I decided to go ahead with the root process and couldn't be happier! Especially with Verizon being so far behind right now.
    So worth it!!! Root it!!! There are plenty of Step-by-Step guides in the developers forum that makes it so easy...but please read all the steps first then do them....
    Do your research so you fully understand how root works and how to do it then go for it. It opens a whole new world for those who like to tinker and always have the newest firmware.
    Like everyone said, read up in what it is and whether or not you have a reason to do it. Then don't freak out if something happens and your phone won't boot. 99% of the time your phone is fixable.

I just upgraded from my old gs1 to the gs3 and love it. Already rooted/unlocked and running cm10 nightlies...... It isn't for everyone but for the ability to backup your phone alone it's worth it.