[Q] Full access to WindowsApps under Windows RT 8.1

Search This thread

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
Hi folks, I've never tried editing anything in WindowsApps under Windows RT 8.0 but now when I use version 8.1 I feel like playing with modern apps. From what I read in Windows 8 it was(is?) possible to fully access it by taking ownership of that folder. I did the same, changed owner from trustedinstaller to my user account and while under permissions it looks like my user has full access to all files I still can't edit anything, only read, execute and delete, no write. Is it possible to edit anything in WindowsApps under RT 8.1 or was it blocked since RT 8.0 or in both Windows RT and 8 and I just misread something?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Taking ownership allows you to edit the permissions. Editing the permissions enables adding the Write (or Full Control) permissions.

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
Taking ownership allows you to edit the permissions. Editing the permissions enables adding the Write (or Full Control) permissions.

"under permissions it looks like my user has full access" - I've enabled full contol already and still I can't write anything, that's why I made this thread, to ask if it's possible at all.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Did you enable it for subfolders, etc.? Can you create a new folder directly under WindowsApps? Have you applied the permissions change yet?

Reactions: wardh

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
Did you enable it for subfolders, etc.? Can you create a new folder directly under WindowsApps? Have you applied the permissions change yet?

Yep, I've enabled it for subfolders, gave full access to all users, unticked read only flags, changed owner... i've tried everything I could. And yes, I can create a new folder directly in windowsapps but not in applications subfolders where I can't perform any modifications except deleting.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I'm not currently using RT 8.1, but something is off, here. You're sure you have privileges on the subfolders (individual app folders), not just the WindowsApps folder? Each one has their own permissions.

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
I'm not currently using RT 8.1, but something is off, here. You're sure you have privileges on the subfolders (individual app folders), not just the WindowsApps folder? Each one has their own permissions.

Yes, I'm 100% sure that I have full control set for all subfolders. Strange thing is that I tried some random files in random app folders and some files are writeable and some are not, even in one folder. I think that MS did it on purpose to prevent users from modifying/cracking apps. All I wanted to do was to edit one xml file in Asphalt 7 folder to enable some graphical enhancements that are disabled for Windows RT and are stored in this xml as presets but no matter what I do I can't edit this file and believe me, I tried everything.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
There are things I'm sure you could do - for example, opening a file or folder with FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS lets you completely bypass ACLs, assuming you have the SE_BACKUP permissions (Administrators and other members of the "Backup Operators" security group).

One other possibility, that in fact sounds quite likely from your description: are you sure that the apps aren't *running* in the background? 8.1 makes apps suspend, not close, by default even if you do the swipe-to-bottom-of-screen gesture. Obviously, if the files are locked, you won't be able to edit them. That should give you a different error, but you never actually said what error you're getting.

bartekxyz

Aug 15, 2011
There are things I'm sure you could do - for example, opening a file or folder with FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS lets you completely bypass ACLs, assuming you have the SE_BACKUP permissions (Administrators and other members of the "Backup Operators" security group).

One other possibility, that in fact sounds quite likely from your description: are you sure that the apps aren't *running* in the background? 8.1 makes apps suspend, not close, by default even if you do the swipe-to-bottom-of-screen gesture. Obviously, if the files are locked, you won't be able to edit them. That should give you a different error, but you never actually said what error you're getting.

I know that apps are tombstoned in 8.1 so you can fast resume like in WP and to fully close you need to swipe to bottom and hold unless tile flips but that's not the case as I tried that on fully closed apps. And the error is just typical "you need permission to perform this action". It looks like things are locked and impossible to access without some special trickery. So that's why in modern apps many crucial files like licenses or in-app purchase settings are stored in human readable files like xml, if there is no way to edit it, why encrypt? Either article that stated that you can gain full access to windowsapps wasn't exactly accurate or something has changed in 8.1, I don't have 8.0 so can't check.

callmechewy

Nov 20, 2012
I'm running into this issue as well in 8.1, and I had no issues in 8.0.

Anyone made progress? I have tried right after a reboot, without opening any apps (this is a store app), so the app shouldn't be running or in use.

jessenic

Sep 9, 2010
I can confirm this. Even with full permissions I get "More permissions are needed to perform this action" when I try to create a new file. I can delete (move to trash) files just fine though, can't edit anything. Will investigate further later.

P.S. C:\Program Files>icacls windowsapps /t /c /q /reset seems to fix issues if your metro apps stop starting ?

Last edited:

oddMLan

Dec 20, 2012
I can confirm this. Even with full permissions I get "More permissions are needed to perform this action" when I try to create a new file. I can delete (move to trash) files just fine though, can't edit anything. Will investigate further later.

P.S. C:\Program Files>icacls windowsapps /t /c /q /reset seems to fix issues if your metro apps stop starting ��

I'm running into the exact same problem, in Windows 8 I could write and edit files in the Windowsapps folder without any hassle (obviously with the correct permissions set), in Windows 8.1 this is not possible. Guess Microsoft toughened up the protection in this particular folder after the WSService Tokens Extractor was being used for turning trial apps into full versions :D

DEV_AKA

May 1, 2015
The apps are protected but if you make an new folder and move the files and rename you have full control hover for the apps to run need the unknown account which execute the program

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.