Want to flash Chameleon OS in my Kindle

Search This thread
I have a rooted KFHD 7" (2012 model) and I have 2nd bootloader and kinology flashed in it. It's getting glitchy so I am intending to remove kinology and try another rom, and I found Chameleon OS in a thread in here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2414026

It says it is for KFHD, and I can probably figure out how to remove kinology and flash it from the threads in here, but I have an issue figuring out which file I should download. I'm still a new member so I can't ask directly to that thread, but I can't figure out the download links that are attached. I am supposed to find my device from their site's download list but I only see Kindle Fire (otter) and I'm getting the feeling that this is the previous gen so I don't want to mess with my kindle too badly, I had already bricked it once.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it, thanks!

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I found the Tate builds. http://goo.im/devs/ChameleonOS/roms/tate/

I really really really don't recommend flashing this ROM for a very simple reason. Look at the dates of those ROMs that are posted. Since that time period there have been a ton of bug fixes and we are on kk builds of android now and the kindle runs faster now too. Not putting the ROM down but if those are the only flashable zoos for the ROM then they are quite dated.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Reactions: YuriPan
Hmmm, you think I shouldn't? I noticed now, I was going through the comments on the thread and it does indeed seem somewhat dead. It's a shame cause it looked like a really nice rom. Well, I really need to replace Kinology though... I liked it at first but it's getting really, reaaaally glitchy right now... It delays in really simple stuff for no reason, I'm leaving on purpose at least 2GB of the internal storage free (since I've noticed it's going really slow when I put too many things in it), but it's still quite annoying.

I plan on buying a new tablet eventually, but at the moment I'm saving money and keeping an eye for any offers...

So what rom do you think is best? I really messed up the first time I tried to flash a rom, so I'm somewhat scared of trying it again (I do have a factory cable though if I brick my kindle). I want a rom that lets my KFHD run smoothly and I need the kindle reading app to work, either from KFHD's launcher, or from the app icon (since in Kinology I need to get back to the original launcher to open books)

Can I ask you one more thing? I still haven't made enough posts to be allowed to post in the development forum, so I can't really ask them in the thread. How exactly do I pick the latest stable version? I'm not a tester, so I don't want to accidentally come across a glitchy version, but I want the latest that I can get. Both in Chameleon and in this one, I am not quite sure which version I'm supposed to download and flash... there are so many...

Ph0enix_216

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
I couldn't even fj d the downloads, I ran into a folder with all the Devs folder and didn't know which one was the dev to choose from there...

I've tried this one, and I can never get to boot past the boot animation. I prefer CyanogenMod as my ROM of choice.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

Does it work smoothly? I need a rom that lets me use my kindle as a normal tablet on the most part... Oh, and something else. If I run CM, do amazon apps still run in the background anyway? Does the kindle reading app work properly? Is it even installed or do I have to download it from the playstore? :confused:

I couldn't even fj d the downloads, I ran into a folder with all the Devs folder and didn't know which one was the dev to choose from there...

I am not quite familiar with all the terms you used. I dunno what you mean "fj d" and I'm not sure what you mean by "dev" either... Sorry :( Don't worry about it though, I'm thinking of going for plain CM since it seems too much of a mix up to get involved with less well known roms... If I decide to flash this one I'll go ask in their thread, I'll reach 10 posts soon so I'll be able to ;)

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Fj d was my autocorrect failing at the word "find".... Devs means developers(aka the people that make and port ROMs).

Oooh. Hahaha, silly me, I could have figured out devs >.<

Yeah, I came across this too, I browsed through them and there was one saying "pacman" I picked that and then "tate/" but then there were far too many options. A folder saying "nightly/" another saying "release/" and another one saying "stable/". (I would have sent you the direct link but the site won't let me post outside links just yet...) And each folder has a bunch in it, so I can't figure it out. Actually I'm not quite sure what nightlies are so that's my biggest problem. Especially this folder has too many files... :eek:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Nightlife are autobuilt every night and can (and usually do) contain bugs because it's just a build of the latest commits made to the source code. I would go with stable or release. The files usually are dated in some manner. If it us in the filename or listed next to the duke somewhere I recommend just grabbing the most recently dated one. If you get cm11 then just grab the m7 snapshot from cm's site.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Ooooh, I see. Makes sense that they're buggy, that's all they talked about in PacMan's comments... It's all about new bugs they get with nightly versions. I'll wait a bit longer in case they answer to me there about which is the latest stable version, cause now they say there's a 4.4 version too and I'm feeling pretty dumb not being able to see it (I'm afraid it's one of the nightlies, not a stable or released one) and I'll probably test it out and if I don't like it I'll go for CM 11.

Oh, hey, that tablet UI patch that you've made... it doesn't go as far as CM11? What are the differences, I couldn't find any screenshots..

Ph0enix_216

Ooooh, I see. Makes sense that they're buggy, that's all they talked about in PacMan's comments... It's all about new bugs they get with nightly versions. I'll wait a bit longer in case they answer to me there about which is the latest stable version, cause now they say there's a 4.4 version too and I'm feeling pretty dumb not being able to see it (I'm afraid it's one of the nightlies, not a stable or released one) and I'll probably test it out and if I don't like it I'll go for CM 11.

Oh, hey, that tablet UI patch that you've made... it doesn't go as far as CM11? What are the differences, I couldn't find any screenshots..

It doesn't work with CM11. Tablet UI was removed in Android 4.3 I believe.

>>>Sent from my homebuilt TARDIS running Android 4.4... or maybe it's a Kindle Fire HD running Cyanogenmod 11<<<

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
It was googles decision, and it was removed in 4.4, my patch only worked for cm 10.1, there was a cm 10.2 version not made by me but it wasn't public so there's no links to it. Hopefully someone will recode 4.4 to have that feature added back in, I miss it too because I hate using two thumbs to reach for the softkeys.

I'm used to using both thumbs, on a 7" screen it's easy(ish) anyway, but it'd be a nice change not to have to do so. I think I'll go for 4.4 anyway though (yes, I still haven't flashed anything, only updated TWRP cause mine was outdated), to see what's new there.

I don't think I've ever seen what's past 4.2 in my devices. My cellphone can barely be called a smartphone, and having kindle as my first tablet is making it quite difficult. I think I'll go for something somewhat cheap but Samsung next time, Galaxy Note 8.0 seemed good, the resolution could have been better but I can live with that. It certainly seems to have more potential than my good old kindle.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found the Tate builds. http://goo.im/devs/ChameleonOS/roms/tate/

I really really really don't recommend flashing this ROM for a very simple reason. Look at the dates of those ROMs that are posted. Since that time period there have been a ton of bug fixes and we are on kk builds of android now and the kindle runs faster now too. Not putting the ROM down but if those are the only flashable zoos for the ROM then they are quite dated.