[Q] Why are the stock-based ROMs graphically smoother than CM7.2 on Defy+?

Search This thread

Goose-T

Apr 13, 2011
Budapest
There's a constant struggle in my mind. I have tried several CM7 builds, but all of it had problems with the GUI smoothness. I just could not reach that iPhone-like smooth operation like the stock ROM or MS2Ginger, not even with V6 SuperCharger and Nitro Lag Nullifier. Various scrolling cache settings and build.prop tweaks also did not help like playing with debug.performance.tuning, video.accelerate.hw, debug.sf.hw. But MS2Ginger has several problems CM don't: SD card corruption (can't be fixed with mmcfix, tried), random FCs. So I just can't decide which is better for me: choppy GUI with no SD problems or ultrasmooth GUI with rage sometimes. It would be good to combine smoothness with SD card fix.

I'm not quite familiar with Android development yet, but I would like to know what modules/drivers/binaries etc. are responsible for this GUI smoothness/choppyness, and is there a way to port these things from stock ROM into CM.

Last edited:

57op

Jun 9, 2011
Are you using ADWLauncher (which is the stock one in cm7)?
Try to use another launcher such as launcherpro, go launcher or adw launcher ex (not free).

I don't know why, but adw is very choppy indeed... it works well on lg p350 (cheap android device) of a friend of mine though.

Reactions: Glaux

Goose-T

Apr 13, 2011
Budapest
How do you do actual development inside a forum post? That doesn't even seem possible.

But anyways yeah, I installed CM7 a few days ago and had the exact same issue as the OP—replacing ADWLauncher with Launcher Pro solved it.

Launcher Pro is choppy too. My first task after installing CM is always to replace ADW with Launcher Pro, but LP is still smoother on stock/MS2Ginger than on CM7.

daede86

Oct 16, 2010
Milano
i'm using adw lancher ex on cm7.2 with supercharged and it's really smooth.. like you said, iphone-like!

brajesh.sharma87

Jan 27, 2011
Kolkata
Lots of performance and specially battery tweaks done in CM ROMs at the cost of better graphics. That's the case with every other brand mobile too. They all look graphically smoother on stock but a bit dull on CM.

sa3e1

Jan 18, 2010
Budapest
Can some choppyness come from deodexing a rom? I read somewhere that odexed roms (like stock ones) are faster, but I can't remember in which way faster... maybe just booting up faster?!

Sent from my MB525 using XDA

Glaux

Feb 20, 2011
OnePlus 5T
Google Pixel 6

lordyka

Feb 17, 2012
in my case, i have a defy+ with adw ex, old v6 (update8) is very smooth. launcherpro is too. stock launcher is sucks, so i dont use it. but other launchers works fine for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Are you using ADWLauncher (which is the stock one in cm7)?
    Try to use another launcher such as launcherpro, go launcher or adw launcher ex (not free).

I don't know why, but adw is very choppy indeed... it works well on lg p350 (cheap android device) of a friend of mine though.