Unable to enable multiple languages in Samsung keyboard

Search This thread

wickdc

Apr 15, 2010
Has anyone been able to enable a second language in the Samsung keyboard? I was able to add a second language by
going to "language and input"
Click the cog wheel next to the Samsung keyboard
Click "+ select input languages"
Select the check box next to an another language
Back

However, I do not see the arrows on the space bar to switch languages. This works fine on my wife's note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

wickdc

Apr 15, 2010
Bumping.

Is this working for everyone else? Can anyone try enabling a second language on the samsung keyboard and switching by swiping the space bar?

Thanks for trying.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

TheDude1966

May 31, 2012
Same problem here on the international version. For some strange reason word prediction does show two languages even though spacebar says English. Anyway that works more or less although I prefer a single language. Hope Samsung fixes this.

Dovigoldberger

Feb 21, 2012
Monsey
Is this what you mean?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1397371591819.jpg
    1397371591819.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 487

TheDude1966

May 31, 2012
Is this what you mean?

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Yup, I don't have the arrows on the specebar, while I did select both English and Dutch. Unfortunately resetting doesn't help and have yet to find the process to empty cache and clearing data.

Update: found the Keyboard process and emptied cache and cleared data...to no avail. I think it stores language settings somewhere else since Dutch appears back in the samsung keyboard language list immediately after opening the cockwheel button.

Last edited:

ecksor

Jan 26, 2011
NYC
Yup, I don't have the arrows on the specebar, while I did select both English and Dutch. Unfortunately resetting doesn't help and have yet to find the process to empty cache and clearing data.

Update: found the Keyboard process and emptied cache and cleared data...to no avail. I think it stores language settings somewhere else since Dutch appears back in the samsung keyboard language list immediately after opening the cockwheel button.

As a workaround, and if you want to keep Samsung keyboard, rather than adding a second language to it, try installing a completely new keyboard with Dutch as a default language (any stable keyboard app will do). The switch between keyboards will appear in the phone's notification area, instead of Samsung keyboard's space bar.

I actually prefer it this way: the space bar thingy is finicky, and the notification area's one is super clean and easy.

TheDude1966

May 31, 2012
Thanks, that's one way at least partially getting around the issue. There are plenty good alternative keyboards available, however I like the extra row with numerical keys Samsung offers. For me a real time saver.

Since the problem doesn't occur with all S5's I assume there is rogue app causing this problem in the first place.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
Thanks, that's one way at least partially getting around the issue. There are plenty good alternative keyboards available, however I like the extra row with numerical keys Samsung offers. For me a real time saver.

Since the problem doesn't occur with all S5's I assume there is rogue app causing this problem in the first place.

while I had the keyboard open I pressed and held the key with the settings icon on it (lower left side) and then selected settings again - once I did this - I saw a screen saying new languages were avaiablle - I selected several - went back to the keyboard and saw "English" in the spacebar - when I pressed and held the space bar, I could scroll right or left to choose from any of the languages I had selected.

I think it allowed me to select up to 5 or so - but I may be wrong and there might not be a limit - I didn't go that far into it - I personally only need english - I was just trying to see if I could figure it out -

hope this helps.

Reactions: u1988

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

while I had the keyboard open I pressed and held the key with the settings icon on it (lower left side) and then selected settings again - once I did this - I saw a screen saying new languages were avaiablle - I selected several - went back to the keyboard and saw "English" in the spacebar - when I pressed and held the space bar, I could scroll right or left to choose from any of the languages I had selected.

I think it allowed me to select up to 5 or so - but I may be wrong and there might not be a limit - I didn't go that far into it - I personally only need english - I was just trying to see if I could figure it out -

hope this helps.