[Concept Art] HTC HD3 running WP7 & HTC Sense 3 (2010-07-31)

Should I send this to HTC?

• Why not!

Votes: 665 88.4%
  • You're joking, right?

Votes: 87 11.6%

• Total voters
Search This thread

_LeCiel_

Sep 10, 2009
lukebasarab.deviantart.com
If you want to use my image on your website or blog, please LINK BACK to this threat.

DO NOT remove my contact information.

If you mentioned my work, please post a link in this thread or send it via PM/E-Mail. Thanks in advance!

2010 © Luke Basarab, all rights reserved. Modifications and commercial use prohibited.

If the images are misplaced, change the View > Zoom option in your Browser to 90%

Let the GIF file load. You'll get to see how landscape scrolling would work.

Click the image for high resolution (2419 x 1252 px).

This is my second HD3 Concept. I made the first one (link) in February 2010 - back then people didn't knew much about Windows Phone 7. I thought it's going to be similar to 6.5.x and that - at some point - we'll be able to flash it on our current devices.

That's why I came up with a phone running Windows Mobile 7 and which looked like a kitchen knife (and what's with that huge weather animation?! :eek:).

The Concept got some attention and was mentioned on several websites and blogs all over the world. That's when I learned that Google Translate has no problems translating "What an ugly phone!" from Russian and Turkish to English. :rolleyes: Although I designed it for my graphic novel which takes place in 2015, my futuristic HD3 specifications were taken seriously :confused: so I was heavily criticized for the hardware.

Now, a few months later, I present to you my latest HD3 Concept.

Since everyone would like to see different specs I've decided to give you guys a chance of writing your own. I will update the threat with realistic specifications written by someone who knows what he/she's talking about.

As you can see, my new HD3 has two Build-in Speakers on both sides of the screen (I really liked that about my previous concept), a front facing Camera, HDMI output and a Micro-USB port. There are 6 hardware buttons (Power, Volume Up and Down and 3 WP7 buttons). You can come up with the rest.;)

I decided to make WP7 more customizable so I skinned it with Sense 3 (do you REALLY think HTC would release a phone without Sense? I know Microsoft claims that all WP7 devices should use Metro, but Sense is HTC's trademark). Of course you could still change the wallpaper:

hd3wp7s3wall.jpg

Finally, before you start complaining about the hardware buttons, he's an alternative version with buttons that would give actual feedback (though I think they make the phone look ugly:p):

hd3wp7s3alt.jpg

Took 15 hours to complete. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

intimidatorx31

Jun 8, 2007
Glendale
I was hoping someone would come through with a vision i had.

Surely yours is wayyyyyyy better than what i imagined but i said a while back

win phone 7 could look decent if it had some photoshop and glossy eyecandy icons.

Your concept just blew my mind away because it fulfilled the glossy eyecandy look but youve managed to do subtle things that i didnt even think of.

Great work. Great concept.

Windcape

Jun 22, 2010
Stockholm
It's a bit over the boundaries of what's possible with the tiles. Also I think changing the default circle buttons is a very bad idea, as it destroys the uniform layout of the entire platform.

The design language for WP7 is not just for the home-screen, but also applications, which is important to take in consideration for a custom layout.

dzatara

May 30, 2010
hmm on 1st two images there is soft keys below but on the last they look pretty hardware :confused: ...

_LeCiel_

Sep 10, 2009
It's a bit over the boundaries of what's possible with the tiles. Also I think changing the default circle buttons is a very bad idea, as it destroys the uniform layout of the entire platform.

The design language for WP7 is not just for the home-screen, but also applications, which is important to take in consideration for a custom layout.

Looking forward to your design:rolleyes:

hmm on 1st two images there is soft keys below but on the last they look pretty hardware :confused: ...

You wouldn't be ":confused:" if you'd take the time to read the first post.

Windcape

Jun 22, 2010
Stockholm
Looking forward to your design
The point is that it's NOT a good idea to make a home-screen that's not using the design language of the rest of the platform.

Designing isn't about fancy colors, gradients, and bevels. It's also about usability, uniformness, and easy recognition.
Anyone can do a fancy layout, but it's few who can create a overall design language for a entire platform. And this is why Sense UI doesn't make awful lot of sense on the WP7.

havox22

Oct 2, 2008
The point is that it's NOT a good idea to make a home-screen that's not using the design language of the rest of the platform.

Designing isn't about fancy colors, gradients, and bevels. It's also about usability, uniformness, and easy recognition.
Anyone can do a fancy layout, but it's few who can create a overall design language for a entire platform. And this is why Sense UI doesn't make awful lot of sense on the WP7.

im not sure how his concept would be less easy to recognize, but even if it is o well it looks great, id rather have black tiles then any of the colors they provide anyway

Windcape

Jun 22, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, the black/yellow theme is likely the option HTC will go with as default.

But I'm more explicit thinking of the circular buttons used for navigation and the application bar. It's preferable if they stay as a single stroke color used for the vector graphics used everywhere else on the platform.

Because the thing is, opposed to previous phones, HTC can't make a "Sense" theme apply so deep into the phone, as the otherwise would, as most buttons are vector graphics directly in XAML, and not replaceable images, and most Hubs are applications, and not style-able widgets.

_LeCiel_

Sep 10, 2009

You're taking this far too seriously. I'm obviously not working for HTC and I wasn't payed to create your vision of how WP7 and Sensu UI should look. Just like you or anyone else I have my own vision. The only difference is that I made the effort to make it "real" on some level and decided to share it with the XDA community. I think you're just being rude.

It's not like this is a preview of a real skin for WP7 that I'll be working on. :rolleyes:

Windcape

Jun 22, 2010
Stockholm
You're rather strange if you would consider 2-3 pages of praises to be a good response to your work. Criticism is the only way to improve, and being taught a bit about why the design language is important, from a application developers point of view, should help you think your layouts though, beyond what's just a fancy home-screen.

Nobody's denying it looks good, but looks is not even the half of it.