HTC One S - YouTube Links

Search This thread

sherifone

May 29, 2009
Update As it turns out there is an Apple lawsuit that forced HTC to implement the App Associations in US ROMs. This breaks a lot of link functionality in Android, but there is a workaround if you are rooted. HTC had to put an app that intercepts all taps, and redirect you to the app you've chosen in settings. Its as simple as moving/deleting the offending HTCLinkifyDispatcher.apk

Anyone else run into an issue with YouTube links? It seems that all weblinks are handled by the chosen browser, be it Chrome or "Internet".

The behavior on my Galaxy Nexus was that I would tap a YouTube link from an app, or webpage and it would present me with the option to load it in a browser OR the YouTube app.

On the HTC One S (T-Mobile), no matter what I do, I cannot get it to present the option to take me to the native YouTube app (which is a better experience). I've changed the streaming settings around, cleared all app defaults and I still get taken to m.youtube.com rather than having an option to tap the YouTube app.

This is totally frustrating, and I hope I am not missing something obvious! I assume this is related to Sense 4.0 "app associations". Any way around this?

Last edited:

majalo

Sep 29, 2010
Boston
Anyone else run into an issue with YouTube links? It seems that all weblinks are handled by the chosen browser, be it Chrome or "Internet".

The behavior on my Galaxy Nexus was that I would tap a YouTube link from an app, or webpage and it would present me with the option to load it in a browser OR the YouTube app.

On the HTC One S (T-Mobile), no matter what I do, I cannot get it to present the option to take me to the native YouTube app (which is a better experience). I've changed the streaming settings around, cleared all app defaults and I still get taken to m.youtube.com rather than having an option to tap the YouTube app.

This is totally frustrating, and I hope I am not missing something obvious! I assume this is related to Sense 4.0 "app associations". Any way around this?

I've noticed the same thing, but haven't really understood or made the connection that you have. And I also haven't tried finding a work around. I assume you're correct that it's a sense "feature" (ha), but don't know of a solution. Sorry to not be of more assistance. :/

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
I've noticed the same thing, but haven't really understood or made the connection that you have. And I also haven't tried finding a work around. I assume you're correct that it's a sense "feature" (ha), but don't know of a solution. Sorry to not be of more assistance. :/

Had the same Sense feature.....annoying

lcg1519

Dec 18, 2009
OK good! At least now I know I'm not the only one. I'm still looking for a work around. This does seem like a Sense 4 issue.

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
Well that's not all... If you have another email client installed aside from Gmail and click an email link, it automatically opens Gmail rather than prompting you to make a choice. I find that very annoying.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using xda premium

couchmonkey

Mar 30, 2011
Coming over from the Rezound forum, been running into this with Sense and their new setting in settings called App Associations. haven't found a workaround yet.

gregdreg

May 12, 2012
I am having the same issue with you tube, maps, yelp, TripAdvisor my phone will not prompt me to "complete action using" at all, it takes me straight to the mobile site instead of the app.

Sep 29, 2010
I'm having the same problem with youtube . . . Extremely frustrating . . . I hope there's a workaround or a patch in the works

DigitalMonk

Sep 15, 2010
Check the App associations in Settings for the email and maps stuff. The YouTube one I think is so HTC doesn't violate the Apple lawsuit situation.

Sent from my HTC One S