Saw the Z2 today....

Search This thread

finoqq84

Oct 4, 2011
Today was the offical pre order for Z2 in Singapore. Was deciding to pre order one and to sell off my current z1.. The moment I picked up the Z2.. I was disappointed... The display was not as fabulous as what was reviewed.. Seriously, its slightly better then the Z1, Not as good as the Z Ultra. I can confirm that apart from the viewing angles that Z1 lacks, its almost the same as the Z2!! Infact sharper then the Z2! The camera wise, just the lack of 4K recording, the rest was infact the same as Z1 4.4... The Z2 still captures Superior Auto in 8Mp. Still No option to change the resolution in Superior Auto. Sad....
The trade in Price for Z1 here in Singapore is $450... The Z2 cost $998.... So its an additional topup of $540 to buy an additional 0.2" screen, Slightly better screen (Because of the Viewing Angles, but lost in Sharpness), an additional 1GB ram and a 4K recording software..
In the end I hesitated and walk off the shop, need to have a second thought.... So dear Bros, I have tried the display set and this is what I found out. Its up to u guys to see if its a worth upgrade.... Z Ultra's screen is still the best!!!

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Today was the offical pre order for Z2 in Singapore. Was deciding to pre order one and to sell off my current z1.. The moment I picked up the Z2.. I was disappointed... The display was not as fabulous as what was reviewed.. Seriously, its slightly better then the Z1, Not as good as the Z Ultra. I can confirm that apart from the viewing angles that Z1 lacks, its almost the same as the Z2!! Infact sharper then the Z2! The camera wise, just the lack of 4K recording, the rest was infact the same as Z1 4.4... The Z2 still captures Superior Auto in 8Mp. Still No option to change the resolution in Superior Auto. Sad....
The trade in Price for Z1 here in Singapore is $450... The Z2 cost $998.... So its an additional topup of $540 to buy an additional 0.2" screen, Slightly better screen (Because of the Viewing Angles, but lost in Sharpness), an additional 1GB ram and a 4K recording software..
In the end I hesitated and walk off the shop, need to have a second thought.... So dear Bros, I have tried the display set and this is what I found out. Its up to u guys to see if its a worth upgrade.... Z Ultra's screen is still the best!!!

Not even close to worth it. Z2 is such a minor upgrade to the Z1. And seriously, who has a need for 4k recording? Your SD card will fill up crazy fast for a difference that you will barely, if at all, be able to notice. Do you have a 4k TV to even view it on? Since 4K is useless marketing hype, all you really get is an extra gig of RAM and a slightly bigger screen, which in my opinion is a negative feature, not positive.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk

Jiyeon90

Nov 8, 2012
Well from what I have seen so far the Z2's screen seems to be one of the best out there, that being said I won't buy it coz I already have the Z1, it's better to wait for the Z3, it should come with 805 processor and 32 gb internal memory.

Sent from my Xperia Z1

Reactions: funky0308

Steve_max

Nov 20, 2011
Rio de Janeiro

The Z2 is definitely NOT meant for current Z1 owners. It's a reasonable upgrade over the Z, and a very solid upgrade for the previous flagships. Nobody expects you to buy a new phone every six months, not even every year. 18 months or 24 months is a more reasonable update cycle; and Sony's current cycle gives you a brand new (< 6 months old) phone to consider whenever you decide to upgrade, while others (Apple/Samsung/etc) may have an almost one-year-old phone as their current flagship.

The only problem is when people decide they must always have the newest, then the cycle may seem too short. But, when you realize your Z1 is still among the best phones out there (even after the Z2 is launched, and possibly after the Z3 is launched), you will calm down. I didn't even consider the Z2, as the Z1 still does everything I need.

BTW, taking 20MP pictures remove one of the major advantages of the Z1/Z2 camera, which is supersampling to reduce noise. It's the same technique used by Nokia on the 808 (still the best camera phone ever), the phone analyses all 20 million pixels and "filters" the high frequency part by resampling the image to a smaller resolution, which will remove random noise and make the image cleaner. This is a byproduct of techniques used by the oil industry in oil prospecting, it's a very well established mathematical mechanism that is now being applied to photographic imaging. I'm sure it cost Sony a lot to develop/license it, and they want you to use it since the resulting 8MP image will be better than the 20MP one in almost every single case. Actually, since most people will take pictures to upload to Facebook, the 3MP/2MP settings are much more useful than the 20MP one since they allow for much more effective supersampling (and Facebook will butcher the picture down to ~2MP anyway)

MohammedFurqaan

Mar 20, 2014
Hyderabad
it's all the hype

Z1 is a great phone and a huge improvement over the Z. Z2 is just Z1 with a few minor improvements And a design fail. Sony included the charging port and memory card under a single flap. Only fools would sell a z1 for a z2.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
The only feature I missing is when I watching youtube or gaming the dual front speaker. But not worth to sell my Z1 just for that.

KarimSalloum

Apr 24, 2012
Beirut

Don't know what you saw but the screen on the Z2 I tried out was out of this world, even brighter and sharper than the Note 3's.

Reactions: tomthedancingbug

finoqq84

Oct 4, 2011
Z1 is a great phone and a huge improvement over the Z. Z2 is just Z1 with a few minor improvements And a design fail. Sony included the charging port and memory card under a single flap. Only fools would sell a z1 for a z2.

Don't say that bro, I am jusy nearly to sell and upgrade to the Z2.. Heart hurting words.. Lol..:D:D

kantk20111

Feb 26, 2011
I've been saying from the beginning that straight on the Z1's screen is one of the best. It appears 'washed out' because it is not oversaturated like almost every other phone screen out there, and is extremely realistic and color accurate. The Z2 seems to have lost some of that accuracy in favour of 'looking better', but I'm OK with that.

You can't possibly be serious. Even though I despise OLED and prefer IPS LCD / TFT displays, the N3's screen is really gorgeous. It's much brighter than the Z1's. It's the only thing I miss since selling my N3 and buying the Z1.

Are you sure about that? I'm 99.999% sure AMOLED screens are still nowhere near being as bright as LCD screens.

Source. The Z1's screen is actually really bright, 495 nits which is the highest of an Android phone in 2013! The Note 3 is pretty disappointing in the brightness category actually.

acervenky

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 25, 2012
Mumbai
POCO M2 Pro
Xiaomi Mi 10T / 10T Pro
I've been saying from the beginning that straight on the Z1's screen is one of the best. It appears 'washed out' because it is not oversaturated like almost every other phone screen out there, and is extremely realistic and color accurate. The Z2 seems to have lost some of that accuracy in favour of 'looking better', but I'm OK with that.

Are you sure about that? I'm 99.999% sure AMOLED screens are still nowhere near being as bright as LCD screens.

Source. The Z1's screen is actually really bright, 495 nits which is the highest of an Android phone in 2013! The Note 3 is pretty disappointing in the brightness category actually.
Agreed,Z1's screen shows more accurate colours.
Btw,I still own a Xperia P Its Awesome even under bright Sunlight (Max 935nits:cool:)
Regards,
acervenky,
XPT

depperly

Aug 29, 2008
I will be upgrading if for no other reason than Sony included the LTE bands that I need. I have never been able to put my hands on a 6909 at a reasonable price until a month or so back and by then the Z2 was getting to close to justify the replacement of my 6903 just for LTE.

One things for sure, it's a testament to how much I like this phone when I will put up with no LTE...

raziel123

Apr 29, 2010

the colours are more vibrant and the blacks are solid black though, no dark greyishness.

theres upsides and downsides to both though, IPS and TFT screens are much brighter especially outdoors in sunlight, colour productions are more natural etc.

regards

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
Still people out there who fall for the OLED oversaturation trick I see.

Practically everyone, to the average consumer natural colors=washed out

Just a few days ago my uncle was wondering why Plants vs Zombies looked so "lifeless" on my phone, and compared it to his S3

So i can see why Sony bumped up the colors

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

chesterr

Nov 27, 2010
Galle
You can clearly see that Z2 is really good when it comes to display and you just saw it inside of the store and maybe a night time.
So I think that they might have reduced lots of white/greyish colour for sure.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The Z2 is definitely NOT meant for current Z1 owners. It's a reasonable upgrade over the Z, and a very solid upgrade for the previous flagships. Nobody expects you to buy a new phone every six months, not even every year. 18 months or 24 months is a more reasonable update cycle; and Sony's current cycle gives you a brand new (< 6 months old) phone to consider whenever you decide to upgrade, while others (Apple/Samsung/etc) may have an almost one-year-old phone as their current flagship.

The only problem is when people decide they must always have the newest, then the cycle may seem too short. But, when you realize your Z1 is still among the best phones out there (even after the Z2 is launched, and possibly after the Z3 is launched), you will calm down. I didn't even consider the Z2, as the Z1 still does everything I need.

BTW, taking 20MP pictures remove one of the major advantages of the Z1/Z2 camera, which is supersampling to reduce noise. It's the same technique used by Nokia on the 808 (still the best camera phone ever), the phone analyses all 20 million pixels and "filters" the high frequency part by resampling the image to a smaller resolution, which will remove random noise and make the image cleaner. This is a byproduct of techniques used by the oil industry in oil prospecting, it's a very well established mathematical mechanism that is now being applied to photographic imaging. I'm sure it cost Sony a lot to develop/license it, and they want you to use it since the resulting 8MP image will be better than the 20MP one in almost every single case. Actually, since most people will take pictures to upload to Facebook, the 3MP/2MP settings are much more useful than the 20MP one since they allow for much more effective supersampling (and Facebook will butcher the picture down to ~2MP anyway)

You can't possibly be serious. Even though I despise OLED and prefer IPS LCD / TFT displays, the N3's screen is really gorgeous. It's much brighter than the Z1's. It's the only thing I miss since selling my N3 and buying the Z1.

Not even close to worth it. Z2 is such a minor upgrade to the Z1. And seriously, who has a need for 4k recording? Your SD card will fill up crazy fast for a difference that you will barely, if at all, be able to notice. Do you have a 4k TV to even view it on? Since 4K is useless marketing hype, all you really get is an extra gig of RAM and a slightly bigger screen, which in my opinion is a negative feature, not positive.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking about the m8, but the duel camera looked a bit gimmicky. Plus 4 ultra pixels? Hmm
    It's supposed to be good in low light, but a bit ordinary in good light.
    It was a tough call between the M8 and note 3. Hopefully I made the right choice.

A shameless plug of my own blog; http://jmcomms.com/2014/03/30/htc-one-m8-camera-images-part-two-the-model-village/ shows that the One M8 camera is quite good in good light, and especially close up - but the lack of pixels also shows on landscape shots, and the exposure can also be a bit off too.

One good thing is the speed of which you can focus and shoot, but the Z1 isn't slow if you repeatedly press the on-screen shutter, or use one of the burst modes etc.