Hardware difference between FLO and DEB

Search This thread

skrypj

Jan 17, 2011
I have been searching for a teardown of DEB but cannot seem to find one. Does anyone know the differences in the hardware between FLO and DEB besides the obvious, one has a sim card and one doesnt.

Is the LTE capability integrated into the SoC on DEB but not FLO? If not, is the LTE chip located on the main board with the SoC or is it on the daughter board at the bottom of the tablet where the sim-card plugs in? Any help is appreciated.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I have been searching for a teardown of DEB but cannot seem to find one. Does anyone know the differences in the hardware between FLO and DEB besides the obvious, one has a sim card and one doesnt.

Is the LTE capability integrated into the SoC on DEB but not FLO? If not, is the LTE chip located on the main board with the SoC or is it on the daughter board at the bottom of the tablet where the sim-card plugs in? Any help is appreciated.

It's my understanding that Deb is relatively the same as Flo with the exception of data and full GPS capabilities. Many have flashed Flo ROM's on Deb devices and they will work but will not have data and full GPS capabilities, which defeats the purpose of having a Deb. An actual Deb teardown I have not done though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: blueberry.sky

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
I don't remember seeing it anywhere, but can I flash Deb roms on my flo? Theoretically, it should be fully functional (the flo, that is...), but I haven't had the guts to try as yet.

I'm only stating what I've heard people doing. Trying is at your own risk.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I've flashed deb roms onto my flo in the course of doing testing: yes it will flash and boot fine.
I forget if it would work without bugs (testing mainly consisted of making sure it boots and nothing major is broken, like wifi, screen, or touch)

Obviously you wont magically get cellular support, it'll be like how it already is: the rom will simply see a radio that cannot connect/sense any type of network.

The biggest hardware difference is obviously the lack of the modem, it's an external module like on all S600 devices.

Software wise there isnt that much major differences:
  • They use the same bootloader
  • They use the same kernels
  • At launch they had the same basebands (flo's never gets updated though info on wiki)
  • The actual drivers and roms are not identical though, at the very least they're built in both 'deb' and 'flo' configurations, at the very least they have different names inside the drivers

douger1957

Jul 31, 2010
Fort Wayne

My experience is that some ROMs will work between the "Deb" and "Flo" models but others won't. Some are even advertised as being bisexual. :silly:

It's entirely possible for the hardware on both models to be exactly the same, with some deeply rooted firmware switch to activate LTE. I'd think from a manufacturing and inventory management point of view, it'd be cheaper to build one version due to less tooling and inventory holding costs.

Reactions: blueberry.sky

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I'd think from a manufacturing and inventory management point of view, it'd be cheaper to build one version due to less tooling and inventory holding costs.

Regardless of if the modem is in flo or not, there's no sim card tray on flos.
They could hypothetically use deb boards that otherwise work 100%, except somehow recieved a faulty modem chip,
but without a sim tray you wouldnt be able to do much with just that.

Many old tegra 2 based tablets had a PCI-E mini slot (PCI-E mini can do either PCI-E and/or usb, only the latter was actually available and that was what was used) where the modem went, you could likely solder in a slot on the wifi model and get the same modem elsewhere, but you'd need to also get a sim slot and tray to actually make it useful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've flashed deb roms onto my flo in the course of doing testing: yes it will flash and boot fine.
    I forget if it would work without bugs (testing mainly consisted of making sure it boots and nothing major is broken, like wifi, screen, or touch)

Obviously you wont magically get cellular support, it'll be like how it already is: the rom will simply see a radio that cannot connect/sense any type of network.

The biggest hardware difference is obviously the lack of the modem, it's an external module like on all S600 devices.

Software wise there isnt that much major differences:
    • They use the same bootloader
    • They use the same kernels
    • At launch they had the same basebands (flo's never gets updated though info on wiki)
    • The actual drivers and roms are not identical though, at the very least they're built in both 'deb' and 'flo' configurations, at the very least they have different names inside the drivers
    I'd think from a manufacturing and inventory management point of view, it'd be cheaper to build one version due to less tooling and inventory holding costs.

Regardless of if the modem is in flo or not, there's no sim card tray on flos.
    They could hypothetically use deb boards that otherwise work 100%, except somehow recieved a faulty modem chip,
    but without a sim tray you wouldnt be able to do much with just that.

Many old tegra 2 based tablets had a PCI-E mini slot (PCI-E mini can do either PCI-E and/or usb, only the latter was actually available and that was what was used) where the modem went, you could likely solder in a slot on the wifi model and get the same modem elsewhere, but you'd need to also get a sim slot and tray to actually make it useful.

It's my understanding that Deb is relatively the same as Flo with the exception of data and full GPS capabilities. Many have flashed Flo ROM's on Deb devices and they will work but will not have data and full GPS capabilities, which defeats the purpose of having a Deb. An actual Deb teardown I have not done though.

My experience is that some ROMs will work between the "Deb" and "Flo" models but others won't. Some are even advertised as being bisexual. :silly:

It's entirely possible for the hardware on both models to be exactly the same, with some deeply rooted firmware switch to activate LTE. I'd think from a manufacturing and inventory management point of view, it'd be cheaper to build one version due to less tooling and inventory holding costs.