[Q] Soft Bricked sgh-i337m. Please Help

Search This thread

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
Please lend a hand to help me rectify a problem.

Started earlier today by CF-Auto-Root my New Rogers SGH-i1337m, installed without incident via Odin 3.07, followed up with TWRP 2.7 install, again via Odin, without incident, then created NANDROID backup to ext sdcard.

First issues started cropping up, but culminating in what appears to be soft bricking:

1st) Could not mount internal memory (was attempting to browse in Windows) via TWRP. Every time I would select internal memory it would mount the sd card contents only. Weird, but pales compared to further issues.
2nd) Was preparing to install Custom ROM, boot into TWRP, attempted factory reset but this just constantly restarted TWRP. Thought this was strange so I figured Id use Goomanager to update TWRP, occurred without incident and I went back to attempt to factory reset, but then trouble started.
3rd) Boot looping, could not boot back into the OS. Decided I would attempt to restore my Nandroid backup, TWRP loads fine but restore didn't work. Figured Id try flashing back to stock rom (obtained RWC-I337MVLUEMK6-20131125124040 via links in other comments. This is where things got out of control:

A) Restore via Odin 3.07 failed, device restart failedbut loaded the "Firmware Upgrade encountered an issue..." screen.
B) Attempted redownloading the stock rom, new usb port, new oem cable, reinstalled drivers, and with each Odin would fail as follows:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I337MVLUEMK6_I337MOYAEMK6_I337MVLUEMK6_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> boot.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> system.img.ext4
<ID:0/004> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
C) Briefly TWRP would not load, so I reflashed 2.7.0.1 for openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-jfltecan without incident, TWRP reloaded fine, could now do factory reset, but often end up getting could not mount /system. Now using TWRP to restore theNANDRPID from earlier seemed to rebuild the partitions and said it was successful, and the device will boot to a static Samsung screen, but after 20 mins of waiting, would not boot farther.
D) At this point tried to reflash w Odin 3.07 the stock, but still get that error.

So here is where I'm at, with what appears to get me the closest to booting/flashing with stock:

1) Reflashed openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.1-jfltecan.tar with Odin 3.07, immediately following this:
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> recovery.img
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/004> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/004> RES OK !!
<ID:0/004> Removed!!
<ID:0/004> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)
..and the device hangs @ "Samsung Galaxy S4" black screen, letting that sit for 15mins without any change (didn't expect it to, but may as well be complete).
2) TWRP is bootable (load screen says Recovery is not SEANDROID ENFORCED and Set Warranty Bit: recovery) and functional, rebooting recovery states "No OS installed, are you sure you want to restart? ". Interestingly with 2.7.0.1 now installed, i can factory reset but with errors "E: unable to mount '/system". In TWRP, i have tried restore of my NANDROID backup, it completes successfully and appears to rebuild the partitions, but even after completing the restore and rebooting, still end up hanging at the static Samsung screen for >20mins without a change. I could transpose the entire log from the restore if needed.
3) At this point I would try Odin 3.07 with the above stock image, and the failure when attempting to write system occurs again.

Ive been searching for hours and hours and attempting to reflash but not making any headway.

Could anyone help point me in some better directions? I just finished attempting KIES emergency restore, but it too failed when it tried to upload to the device.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
You've done all the right things. The only other thing I can think of is using a different firmware version in Odin.

Sent from my Nexus 5

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
You've done all the right things. The only other thing I can think of is using a different firmware version in Odin.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Perhaps I should try flashing a custom rom? Maybe something like CM 10.2?

I think the problem lies with a possible permission problem with the system partition, but I don't know how to go about checking those permissions, let alone correcting a possible fault.

Thoughts?

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
Did you factory reset in stock recovery before you installed twrp?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I believe so, but it has been several iterations of different attempts to fix things that I cannot be certain any longer.

Let's pretend I didn't, for arguments sake. Implications?

Furthermore, I have created some life back into the device; however, still having problems.

1) Using ODIN 3.09, I successfully flashed TWRP back on to the device.
2) With TWRP, I successfully flashed CM 10.2. The device loads completely into the OS--the only thing I cannot confirm yet is full telephone functionality as my backup phone is what was reconnected to ROGERS. So.....there is life in this thing yet.
3) With TWRP, I have successfully created NANDROID backup of the device under 10.2 and used it to restore after a few failed attempts at getting to stock.

So here's a problem for right now: No matter what source stock ROM I have been using, I337MVLUFNC1_I337MOYAFNC1_I337MVLUFNC1_HOME.tar.md5 or I337MVLUFNC1_880525_REV06_user_low_ship_MULTI (both are what were claimed to be stock 4.4.2 for sgh-i337m ROGERS), it consistently fails in ODIN when flashing system.

I can easily then reflash TWRP (because the ODIN flashing the above stock breaks the recovery image), get into TWRP and restore the CM10.2 NANDROID, and at least back in business there.

I'm about to try flashing (again, but likely fruitlessly) RWC-I337MVLUEMK6-20131125124040.zip from samsung-updates.com via ODIN 3.09. I don't have much hope that ODIN will get it onto the device.

Seems to me like perhaps ODIN can't get the stock roms onto the device for some reason!? Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps someone can point me to a stock 4.3 (or 4.4.2) ROM for ROGERS SGH-i337M that is known to work (or at least deemed reliable) that I could try? Perhaps ODIN is messed up for me?

I'm pretty frustrated as I would think if I can install via TWRP a custom kernel and custom ROM, I should be able to get the stock ROM/etc. back onto the device.

Perhaps I'm missing a step?

TWRP: Wipe> Factory Reset then wipe Cache.
Reboot into Download Mode
ODIN 3.09: Added!! --> AP Select my stock ROM (any of the above), only have Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time selected, start (then fail in my case).

Perhaps I should find another computer!? I have two OEM cables, tried both ports......

This is ridiculously frustrating.

theSpam

May 15, 2010
Toronto
Just wanted to say that I got burned by TRWP a few days ago due to the same issues.

1) Flashed a custom kernel days before. Was working fine but didn't like the performance of the new kernel so I decided to restore my backups of /boot and /system.
2) Did the restore. Cleared /cache and dalvik. Reboot.
3) Stuck on the Samsung Galaxy S4 bootloader screen.
4) Tried to reboot into TWRP, but didn't work. Would just cause phone to automatically restart and hang at the bootloader screen.
5) After many many reboots, was able to finally boot into TWRP.
6) Flashed a custom ROM based the original stock ROM I had installed and that got me up and running again. No data loss as I never touched /data with TWRP.

I'm currently experimenting with CWM and Philz. TWRP, never again.

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
Which bootloader are you on?

Uncertain at this point -- any way to determine that or just flash a known decent one?

Interestingly: CM10.2.1 everything works except for calls and any other sound on the device. ......this is ridiculous.

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
Uncertain at this point -- any way to determine that or just flash a known decent one?

Interestingly: CM10.2.1 everything works except for calls and any other sound on the device. ......this is ridiculous.

Upon more research, I guess I have a knox bootloader since I have a Knox 0x1 trip.

2Tone5

Oct 10, 2012
Toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4
Upon more research, I guess I have a knox bootloader since I have a Knox 0x1 trip.

Without knowing exactly, theres more trial and error ... so ill give you an example: you can't flash 4.2.2 firmware.tar.md5 over a 4.4.2 bootloader (which sounds like you may have )in odin anymore due to knox. What I can suggest to you that should work is go to sammobile.com and download the latest 4.4.2 official firmware for the 1337m and follow the instructions precisely on the download page.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Once you download it and its installed make sure to turn off your phone and boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset and if you really want to be clean flash the firmware again and all your problems should be gone

bzwick

Mar 15, 2014
Without knowing exactly, theres more trial and error ... so ill give you an example: you can't flash 4.2.2 firmware.tar.md5 over a 4.4.2 bootloader (which sounds like you may have )in odin anymore due to knox. What I can suggest to you that should work is go to sammobile.com and download the latest 4.4.2 official firmware for the 1337m and follow the instructions precisely on the download page.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Once you download it and its installed make sure to turn off your phone and boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset and if you really want to be clean flash the firmware again and all your problems should be gone

Ok, I'll give it a go and report findings as follows (decided to try a different computer to eliminate that fact too):

1) sammobile.com --> http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/3/?download=26590 - PDA - I337MVLUFNC1, CSC - I337MOYAFNC1, etc.
2) Downloaded and installed fresh 3.09 from sammobile per instructions.
3) Successfully flashed this firmware, phone returning back to normal as official kernel and official rom, knox warranty tripped still, but that's the way it goes.

SO: Moral of the story - ensure that not just using any kind of virtualization software to try and do flashing, use a proper PC. I hope somehow this finds its way to some other schlub that messes this up.

ROGERS is sending me a new phone anyway other problems involving sound and I was within 15 day return. Lucky me I guess...

I guess the next time around I'll need a closer look at avoiding knox tripping...

ocastelblanco

Jan 4, 2012
It works for me

[/COLOR]Once you download it and its installed make sure to turn off your phone and boot into stock recovery and do a factory reset and if you really want to be clean flash the firmware again and all your problems should be gone

Thank you!! It works for me. It's very important to do a clean flash. :good:

iodine.red

Jul 12, 2014
I am having a crazy issue I can't seem to fix with my i337. I am trying to revert back to stock and I ran odin I get a pass notification but when I reboot my phone prompts that I have unauthorized software on my phone an to contact AT&T. I can't seem to make this work and I can't boot into recovery. Any ideas on what may help. Feeling pretty lost at this point.