[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Search This thread

Sassanix

Jul 16, 2010
Thank you so much, been trying different fixes for the past 2 days and followed the first method and it worked.

If I knew you in real life I would hug you right now, and then I would get you drunk and feed you pizza! You're my hero egyptshun.

How I got the gps not showing up?

I had 4.0.4 and then I rooted it and I put a 4.2 rom on there. And then I decided it's time to try out stock 4.1 and see if my battery will get fixed.

I installed a different carriers stock 4.1 and that didn't show up with any of the gps, so I decided to do a stock root rom for 4.1 and that didn't work either. Tried all the gps fix aps and none of those worked. GPS icon wouldn't even show up and in the gps test no gps was in the view.

But your method was the only method that worked and I decided to use Kies to get my phones carriers latest stock rom and I flashed it to that and so far GPS is working on 4.1 as well. It's safe to say that GPS would be fixed on a custom rom but I'm too tired of fiddling with my phone.

This method worked on a Samsung Galaxy S III I747

norocelpopa

Oct 16, 2007
Samsung Galaxy A70
When I received the phone, it was with a stock Bell Rom on it and the GPS icon was not showing at all when i was trying to start it. I tried flashing a couple of other ROMs on it (rooted stock Bell and Rogers, stock Rogers, team Insomnia, Slim and a couple more I don't remember).

After about 2 days, I found out the name of the ROM that was on the phone and had a working GPS. It was Team Insomnia Bieber Fever - but, as you probably red in other posts, this problem can be caused by other Sprint variant. So, I flashed that ROM and, voila, my GPS was back. I've flashed a couple more ROMs since, and I didn't have any problems with GPS yet.

So, it seems that, if you flash the ROM that last had a working GPS, you will get your GPS back.

Good luck.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

xxScoobxx

Jan 13, 2013
adelphi
If i go back to stock to fix my GPS can I restore one of my custom ROMs that had the GPS not working or will I have to reflash the ROM clean???

ant_129

Nov 15, 2008
Finally I got it. Thanks for the topic and sticky! However like radtech777 posted the code didn't work for me either. I booted into recovery and tried a factory reset from there twice with no luck. On a whim I went to the settings menu, backup and reset and then did a Factory data reset. Reboot and Profit!

Yeah stay away from CM10.1M1. I have been on CM10.0.0 stable for the longest and wanted to give CM10.1 a shot. I Flashed and it had some audio issues so I went back down to CM10.0. Then I noticed GPS was dead. I am not sure which did it but I am back now. I may stick with TW for a bit. Doesn't really seem so bad after being away for a while. Also Titanium Backup as been a huge let down lately. For some reason it has only been saving part of my apps and only sometimes. Needless to say I have been getting pretty good at setting up my phone manually.

Warning: One of the steps I did above did delete data on the internal SD card. Luckily I have been making backups.

Last edited:

d_pez

Feb 16, 2012
LC, NM
I second this!

Finally I got it. Thanks for the topic and sticky! However like radtech777 posted the code didn't work for me either. I booted into recovery and tried a factory reset from there twice with no luck. On a whim I went to the settings menu, backup and reset and then did a Factory data reset. Reboot and Profit!

Yeah stay away from CM10.1M1. I have been on CM10.0.0 stable for the longest and wanted to give CM10.1 a shot. I Flashed and it had some audio issues so I went back down to CM10.0. Then I noticed GPS was dead. I am not sure which did it but I am back now. I may stick with TW for a bit. Doesn't really seem so bad after being away for a while. Also Titanium Backup as been a huge let down lately. For some reason it has only been saving part of my apps and only sometimes. Needless to say I have been getting pretty good at setting up my phone manually.

Warning: One of the steps I did above did delete data on the internal SD card. Luckily I have been making backups.

I had the same problem! I went from CM10 stable to CM10.1 M1 and when I restored my CM10 backup, GPS was dead. I then reflashed, cleared data and went through all the steps here and still nothing. I eventually just switched ROMs all together and I am now running TASK650 4.2.1 and my GPS is back up and running.

Do a lot of people have this issue?

Reactions: mymusicathome

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
I've bought a new Superman case and noticed it blocks GPS and NFC so take off your case if it gives general location just to see.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using XDA Premium HD app

mymusicathome

Dec 4, 2011
I had been running touchwiz based roms since 4.1.1 was released and all of a sudden last week I could not get my gps to work. I tried the root injected stock Odin tars for both ics and jelly bean and did not resolve. I tried apps and the gps fixes out and nothing would work. I had just about gave up and came to the realization my gps was a hardware issue until I decided to try a non touchwiz Rom.
Went back to AOKP and GPS works again.

Now going back to any touchwiz Rom... stock or custom I can not lock a gps.

go figure :s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747M

Last edited:

xhozt

May 20, 2007
dallaS
LG V40
Just a monkey wrench to throw in here.. what if this happens on a NEVER rooted stock JB phone ... any ideas to the cause ?

dsixda

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 1, 2007
Ottawa
Earlier today my GPS had stopped working (i.e. no GPS icon, no satellites shown) after flashing the Task360 AOKP 4.2.2 ROM. After pulling my hair out all day, I fixed it by flashing Bell Canada's ICS ROM and then inputting the dialer code *2767*3855#. I tested it by enabling GPS and running Google Maps.

Just remember guys, as it says in Step 1-3 of post #1, use an *ICS* stock firmware, not Jelly Bean. Otherwise the dialer code will generate an error and your GPS won't get fixed this way!

Then I flashed my stock Jelly Bean firmware from Rogers and all was well again with my GPS in JB. I think I'll stick to TouchWiz from now on....

Here's a link to a quick download to the Bell ICS ROM:
http://filecloud.io/74kmysqr

EDIT: Credit should go to this post from Nov. 8th 2012 (user TheLovableDoodleBear). I'm unable to thank the post for some reason.

Last edited:

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
@egyptshun

I came across and interesting thing while having a gps disappearing issue again. This was my second issue with GPS and I posted my first one earlier in the thread.

So this worked when I did it. I didn't follow your guide. I hope you can add this to the OP to help others out.

When I lost gps on flashing a ROM, I tried wiping everything and flashing my restore again and no gps in my restore.

Here is what worked. I flashed a different ROM and of course the GPS didnt work with no symbol. I then did a factory reset in settings. After a factory reset it worked. I then flash my restore of a saved ROM that I backed up I tried before and I still had my working GPS.

Here is what I think happened and i think is a new way or possible way to fix GPS.

If you had the gps symbol before in a latest stored restore, you can use it to to help fix GPS on the go.

Flash a new rom to see if GPS is working....

If not, factory reset from in settings.

Then you can reflash your restore.

I hope this make sense in some way. I know the directions in the op say to wipe the phone completely so you lose a recovery and root. They way I proposed keeps your root and recovery.

Last edited:

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear :good: . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.

Reactions: Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee

Jan 20, 2011
Ohio
plus.google.com
Tbh I have tried that and it is not a guaranteed method, I had about 0-10% success rate and it didn't last long when it did so I would have put that up there but I think it is too easy for people to mess up and get wrong then flame on here for posting a low success rate thing that isn't quick. People like flaming. flame. underwear. flaming underwear :good: . so yeah, if they want its not a big thread to look through but I don't like when people drop their coffee because of something I wrote.

Oh I didn't know you had already tried that. Good to know. If you think it's necessary I will edit the post if you would like so no one gets confused. Thanks for getting back to me with input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

GabrielOspina

May 22, 2012
Orlando Florida
IT WORKS

after weeks of trying to get it fixed....last stop was xda forums and it worked

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
3. profit

Try that out

TY dude

kangi26

Retired Forum Moderator
Nov 8, 2006
Seattle
Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again :( ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next

AtoZ0to9

Jul 27, 2007
OnePlus 5T
OnePlus 9
Just my own personal observations.
It doesnt seem to happen to me while "running" a ROM, it mainly happens while flashing OR just after flashing anew ROM(it hasn't mattered which ROM). I did notice that(I just lost the symbol again :( ) I did a factory reset, and upgraded ROM's yesterday, and I noticed that when it was restoring My Playstore Apps, the battery got REALLY hot. I've noticed this on 3 or 4 different occasions after upgrading, the battery got hotter-n-hell, and the GPS symbol was later gone. Now, I dont use the GPS a whole lot, so I dont see it's gone right away, but those are just what I'm thinking.

Just re-flashed back to stock LEM, did your magic trick to get GPS back and have updated to a custom ROM, so we'll see what happens next

FasterFix and GPS Test are what I use... FasterFix to set it to North America server, and GPS Test to clear and update the A-GPS data, and with GPS Test open, enable GPS... It locks in seconds indoors to 10+ satellites... Part of my setup routine...

Last edited:

droidmakespwn

Sep 11, 2010
McGuire AFB
Thanks so much. I just bought a GS3 for my wife off swappa and I'm pretty sure the guy knew about the phone having the problem because he sold it to me at a great deal. Sent a couple bucks your way because you saved me from ripping my hair out. Thanks again!

Reactions: egyptshun

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
    (OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
    1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
    (Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
    2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
    3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
    (IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
    4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
    5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
    6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
    7. reboot the phone
    8. Update google maps (very important)
    9.reboot for safe measure
    10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
    11. boot up maps
    12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
    1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
    2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
    3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
    2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
    3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
    GPS fix Back Permanent I747

if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
    becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
    i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
    wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

now check your GPS from gps software...

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....
    Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
    OP updated with new info.
    Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app
    I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.