[Rom] CyanogenMod - Optimization is soooo last year [UPDATED 7/14 - v3.6.6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

firestrife23

May 3, 2009
How about adding a swapfile to the next version? This would help with browser reloading issues whenever you switch to another application and come back.

I was thinking the swapfile could either reside on /data (since everybody already uses apps2sd, there's plenty of space) or on /cache instead of the sdcard to save on wear.

Thoughts?

+1 I like your idea, dwang

@Cyanogen

Thank you for amazing build, dispute few minor quirks, I'm sure it'll all work out anytime soon. Just a suggestion, make disclaimer section and "experimental" bold red

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
How to go back to an ext2 environment?

Please read my whole post before you assume I'm an idiot and refer me to the first post. I've read it thouroughly and it did not help.

I know that 3.3.6 updates my partition to ext3. My question was how do I go back to using a rom that only supprts ext2? In cyan's first post he says it should work just fine, but it does not. I have tried the dudes 1.2b and jachero r1.4 and neither have recognized and mounted my ext3 partition. Do I have to format my partition with paragon and start over? Or is there another way? Any help would be appreciated.

here.david

Jan 6, 2009
Sonoma, CA
Steps for speaker sound in 3.3.6 (Ubuntu OS)

Thanks for everyones support...BTW, I read 'complaning' vs 'constructive' in any case, here is my input....

1. Copy services.jar from 3.3.5 (to many different systems to list 'how to') to your desktop
----It is located in system/framework---
2. Connect G1
# adb remount
3. Push to G1 - give full path to Desktop
# adb push /home/david/Desktop/services.jar /system/framework/services.jar
4. Goto G1 to reboot
# adb shell
5. I always reboot
# reboot
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you do not have adb setup in your path then use th "./" in front of adb
(# ./adb push /home/david/Desktop/services.jar /system/framework/services.jar)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steps for sound in 3.3.6 (Ubuntu OS)
1. Copy services.jar from 3.3.5 (to many different systems to list 'how to') to your desktop
----It is located in system/framework---
2. Go to directoy with adb
# cd android-sdk
# cd tools
3. Connect G1
# ./adb remount
4. Push to G1 - give full path to Desktop
# ./adb push /home/david/Desktop/services.jar /system/framework/services.jar
5. Goto G1 to reboot
# ./adb shell
6. I always reboot
# ./adb reboot

dwang

Nov 23, 2008
How about adding a swapfile to the next version? This would help with browser reloading issues whenever you switch to another application and come back.

I was thinking the swapfile could either reside on /data (since everybody already uses apps2sd, there's plenty of space) or on /cache instead of the sdcard to save on wear.

Thoughts?

Or maybe compcache support? I think jf may have already patched that into one of his builds.

http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

EDIT: Nevermind, from another thread it says it doesn't work.

Last edited:

nabzilla1990

Feb 11, 2009
wont install apps on a phone without ex2 partition keep getting installation error insufficient space anyway to fix this earlier you said it would work so there must be a way to get it to work on a phone without ex2 partition

insufficient storage error

I still have insufficient storage error when installing apps with version 3.3.6. I've installed 3.3.5 without wiping and then wiped and installed 3.3.5. Then I've upgraded to 3.3.6

Last edited:

bolmedias

May 3, 2009
Ipswich
I don't know if this is just me having problems, but for some reason the HTC keyboard is not showing under settings. Anyone else having this problem?

Also, what is this thing about a sound problem with 3.3.6? I can't see any problem.

cyanogen

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 4, 2009
Seattle
cyanogenmod.com
Or maybe compcache support? I think jf may have already patched that into one of his builds.

http://code.google.com/p/compcache/

EDIT: Nevermind, from another thread it says it doesn't work.

I thought about automatically activating swap if you have a third partition. Anything more than about 32M causes the phone to slow down, though.

I'm gonna try compcache from their Mercurial repository. Maybe it will work better than the 0.5.3 version that's posted from April.

here.david

Jan 6, 2009
Sonoma, CA
Everything seems to be working great Cyanogen! Thank you!

I thought about automatically activating swap if you have a third partition. Anything more than about 32M causes the phone to slow down, though.

I'm gonna try compcache from their Mercurial repository. Maybe it will work better than the 0.5.3 version that's posted from April.

:rolleyes:
Previously installed various ROM's and had HTC splash (htc_hero_1.0-signed)
DID everything suggested for sound, etc...THEN...what the heck...why not...
Re-format SD (1st partition fat32, 2nd Ext2 {500MB})
Wipe (ALT-W)
Reboot
HTC splash
Sign-in
Factory Data Reset (Menu/Settings/SD card & phone storage)
Install JFv1.51_CM3.2-ADP.zip (rename to update) Alt-S
Home+Back (reboot)
Now has Android splash
Hard reboot remove battery
start G1
Factory Data Reset (Menu/Settings/SD card & phone storage)
Home+Back (reboot)
Sign-in
Install update-cm-3.3.6-signed.zip (rename to update) Alt-S
Hard reboot remove battery
Install New Theme htc_hero_1.0-signed.zip (rename to update) Alt-S
Home+Back (reboot)
Installed apps

Looking forward to your next 'surprise'

question.com

Jun 26, 2006
providence, RI
www.twitter.com
i never used the phone after i updated to 3.3.6, so i couldnt test a few little things. today i needed speaker phone, and noticed it i couldnt select it. i know its been brought up in the past, just want to let the dev knwo about the bug.

ckessler235

Feb 26, 2009
BALTIMORE
Couldn't agree more. At the same time, constructive feedback on the experimental builds shouldn't be held back simply because they're experimental. Nobody will even know what the problems are with a build if nobody talks about them for fear of being branded a "complainer." I work on other open source efforts and the key is to report problems, but be nice about it. And, if you can report a problem along with some ideas as to the solution (or at least a good description of how it happens) it is even better.

ol' i agree, i know there has to be feed back i'm talkin about the ones that are blaming Cyan for corrupting sd cards and what not .... Those knuckle heads !

dwang

Nov 23, 2008

yeah I've been trying out the swapper application where I have a 32m swapfile and swappiness set to 10.

Its no magic bullet as swapping apps between memory and swapfile causes a significant pause, but what it does solve is the browser reloading pages every time you move to another application and back again.

Obviously the best solution is more memory and hopefully when tmobile comes out with the magic in the states, it will have 288 megs of RAM instead of 192 megs that the vodaphone magic has.

I'm wondering does having the swapfile as its own partition improve performance?

Last edited:

IamLugo

Apr 28, 2009
Currently running v3.3.6 and all is good. Only a few things I wanted to mention tho. All day when on the phone people keep telling me they can't hear me right and they keep hearing echoes when I speak. Don't know if its specific to this build but I thought I would put it out there. Also I'm not to fond of the Meltus sound mod that's packaged with this build. Way to low. I prefer the v2 louder settings. No big deal tho I can push that through adb. Great work all overall cyanogen the Rom is great.

Also assuming everything looks good below, I was wondering what is in my /system/intmem directory? I'm running apps2sd with no prob got about 150 apps installed and through settings>storage I show about 1300M's. Just wondering whats in that directory. I'm assuming its cache from apps etc cuz I cleared the market cache and it went down about 3mbs but only a few mins later it went up about 5m. I'm sure I can move this over to the sd but not sure what methods would work that won't disturb the current set up. If not its cool tho. Just wondering
http://twitpic.com/6or61/full

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Rom] CyanogenMod - Optimizing the crap out of Android 1.5r2 - CHANGELOG

CHANGELOG

Changes in v3.6.6
    * Pulled in cgroups support from Donut, added some extra code to support foreground boost
    * Added new mail app from MyTouch, includes "Work Email" with Exchange support
    * Optimized all zips and pngs with 7zip and optipng
    * Enabled some options in the kernel for serial debugging
    * Small enhancements/bugfixes to various apps (Calendar/Music)
    * Launcher drawer is 5x4 / 6x3
    * Rolled back wpa_supplicant to old version to correct WiFi issues
    * New default wallpaper by TheGreenJester
    * KNOWN BUG: Market->Settings->Notifications causes a force close. Still working on it.
    * KNOWN BUG: Exiting Camcorder causes a FC. The video still records. Push Camera.apk from 3.6.5 until the next release.

Changes in v3.6.5
    * Fix the API breakage that was accidentally introduced.

Changes in v3.6.4.1
    * Revert patch to libdvm.so that was causing force close city
    * Fix bad signature on SetupWizard.apk

Changes in v3.6.4
    * Fix shared userid problems that were causing boot loops
    * Sexy Hero-style transitions

Changes in v3.6.3
    * Fix weirdness with Contacts/Calendar/others
    * Launcher tweaks
    * Dalvik update

Changes in v3.6.2
    * Fix audio mixing issue
    * Lockscreen tweaks (Stericson)
    * Show provider name instead of "Android" (Stericson)
    * Added "Reboot phone" option to the power menu
    * Updated Settings app to not show false data for SD secondary when a2sd is disabled

Changes in v3.6.1
    * Minor kernel tweaks, might save some battery
    * Update wifi driver
    * Stericson's AmazonMP3 hack that allows download over non-wifi
    * Lockscreen tweak from Stericson that allows the statusbar to be pulled down (except if pattern is enabled)
    * Added PowerTop tool
    * Moved some stuff around to save a little space
    * Added firstboot script to cleanly upgrade camera/album when not coming from 3.4.6

Changes in v3.6
    * Revert Freetype and Bluetooth changes from 3.5.3
    * Kernel tweaks
    * Added mtdoops module for debugging kernel oopsen/panics
    * Lock screen tweaks
    * Add RPC support to BusyBox (requested)
    * Clean .odex files left by other ROMs off the SD card
    * STABLE!

Changes in v3.5.3
    * Dalvik patches from master - better memory usage
    * Update wpa_supplicant from master
    * Update Freetype to 2.3.9 (nicer font hinting) (being reverted for next release)
    * Multithreaded A2DP from master (should reduce skipping)
    * Minor kernel tweaks
    * Include AUFS as a module by request
    * Fix lock screen glitches and shrink battery icons

Changes in v3.5.2
    * Ditch SquashFS on /system/lib because of performance
    * Clean up the lock screen a bit, new icons, etc
    * Patch AlarmClock so it doesn't lose snoozes
    * If /system/sd/userinit.sh exists, execute it after a2sd setup

Changes in v3.5.1
    * Add missing netfilter kernel modules and apply backported ext4 fixes
    * Included Stericson's spiffy lock screen
    * Some settings enhancements- show mod version and don't allow SD unmount when A2SD is active
    * Switched to squashfs instead of cramfs
    * /system/lib is now on squashfs, saving TONS of space (first boot of system is a little slower though)
    * Tweak some cpufreq settings
    * Disabled camera noise in libcameraservice since the HTC camera does it internally.

Changes in v3.5
    * Kernel 2.6.29
    * Revert vold hack to default, for now.

Changes in v3.4.6
    * Revert Dalvik changes due to DNS resolution issues
    * Clean up old camera prefs
    * There is an issue with the vold change on Vista. Working on it for next build.

Changes in v3.4.5
    * Now includes the fully working HTC Camera!
    * Mounting SD over USB will now only show the VFAT partition
    * Some changes to a2sd startup to clean up symlinks if SD was removed
    * DalvikVM tweaks from master (for real this time)
    * Launcher now puts icons in the right place after a wipe

Changes in v3.4.4
    * Uses a combination of bind mount and symlinks for A2SD
    * Launcher now has 5 screens and obeys system orientation setting
    * Upgraded BusyBox to 1.14.2
    * Upgraded kernel to 2.6.27.25, anticipatory iosched, enabled multicast
    * Fixed Street View

Changes in v3.4.3
    * Back to 3.4.1 kernel
    * NO MORE AUFS - we now have automatic A2SD using bind mounts. It will even move your apps automatically for you
    * Settings app has been enhanced to show "SD Card Secondary" storage available/used (your ext partition)
    * Included newest Google Maps application
    * Don't mess with vfs_cache_pressure (sysctl.conf is still available, though)
    * There is an issue with installing protected apps in this version. Will be fixed for 3.4.4.

Changes in v3.4.2
    * Switch back to anticipatory iosched
    * Use tiwlan driver from android-1.5r2 instead of master

Changes in v3.4.1
    * Small kernel tweaks, add NFS client module
    * Fix racy A2SD startup that was causing all kinds of insanity for everyone (missing apps, force closes, etc)
    * Read /system/etc/sysctl.conf at startup
    * Added HTC Quickoffice
    * Moved shutdown/reboot services out of /system/init.rc because people seem to want to overwrite it.

Changes in v3.4
    * Minor kernel tweaks
    * Fix perms on /data/app in update-script
    * Include fix_permissions
    * Marking as stable

Changes in v3.3.7
    * No longer autoconverts to ext3. A script is included to do it from recovery mode (see FAQ).
    * Fix for USB headset no longer breaks other things (speakerphone works now)
    * Include Android VK with correct dictionary.
    * Updated volume profile from Meltus.

Changes in v3.3.6
    * Better mount options for AUFS
    * Enable K extensions for ARM6 in kernel
    * USB headset adapter fix for real
    * Meltus' V4 volume profile
    * Fix HTC_IME calibration

Changes in v3.3.5
    * Switch from UnionFS to AUFS
    * Use CFQ iosched
    * Tweak frequency scaling options for better responsiveness
    * USB headset fix
    * Permission fixes for A2SD

Changes in v3.3.4
    * Updated kernel to latest minor patchset (2.6.27.24)
    * Bump scaling_max_freq to 528MHz
    * Fix shutdown from inside applications (new system uses a service)
    * Make sure certain system directories that need to be on internal memory aren't created thru unionfs
    * Moved a2sd scripts so they don't get overwritten.
    * Apps2SD startup should be more reliable now

Changes in v3.3.3
    * Fix permission problems that can cause "insufficient space" errors in Market.
    This thread is CLOSED!!!!!
    Redirect all your ROM ONLY QUESTIONS in the new thread:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=537204
    The problem with the Exchange support in the Sapphire Mail app is that it requires the entire custom HTC version of the core Android framework. The same goes for the HTC Dialer. I'd rather keep the open-source version, since the source code changes that HTC has made to the core are not publicly available.
    what do you mean by the camera button force closes, like to take a picture?

Just click the trackball instead of the camera button in the Camera app to take a picture.
    Cyan, I love your work. One question though. I cannot get my Bluetooth to work anymore on my BlueAnt since the last three builds. Anyone got any suggestions on how to make it work?

Mark