[RECOVERY + HOW-TO] NEW/OLD ClockworkMod/TWRP/Stock Recoveries for 8GB/16GB NT

Search This thread

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I decided to create this thread as i haven't seen meghd00t around for some days now and Indirect han not updated his App to flash recovery (CWM {or} Stock)! Update (safety fixes) PLEASE DOWNLOAD! Thread because there is no internal build of cwm for this new version yet.

As many know the app to flash recovery by @Indirect and the one posted by @Goncezilla are for 16GB model only but many 8GB NT users have used it to flash CWM internal and soft-bricked their devices, so @meghd00t took the plunge and compiled a version for CWM that works for both 8GB and 16GB model that way we expect to have less bricked Nook Tablets.

IMG_20120827_133630.jpg

@meghd00t for internal/sdcard version of CWM and now TWRP for both models
@succulent for internal version for both models
@indirect for the recovery flasher applications
@romanbb for the first CWM build
@fattire for helping with development even though he doesn't own a Nook Tablet

Download Link:

Link 1 - My FTP Nook Tablet folder
Link 2 - My mediafire Nook Tablet folder

ftp_recoveries.JPG

Explanation:

Pay attention to the name of the package, i'll proceed to explain the different tags:

sdcard: micro sdcard version
emmc: internal version
tools: it has @meghd00t's tools for repartition and format baked in.
-------------------------------
CM7-9: Is proved to work on both, BUT in CM7 when you attempt to reboot into recovery it will boot to emmc instead so you must do it manually by pressing POWER+VOL UP when the "N" screen shows up while rebooting.

CM7-SR: One of the first CWM recovery released for the 16gb model, work with CM7 and B&N stock rooted ROMs.

CM9-10: The new recovery by @meghd00t, work on all CM9 and CM10, if you attempt to flash a CM7 or B&N stock rooted ROM it will freeze so you must flash an appropriate recovery before flash those ROMs.

CM9: @Chris CWM recovery for his CM9 ROMs, this version correspond to the CM9 v0.05.1 ROM but it works with his other CM9 versions and the CM9 ports. This version also work with CM7 and possibly stock rooted too but you will not be able to reboot into recovery automatically so i suggest you to use an appropriate recovery for those ROMs.

B&N_Stock: These versions belongs to B&N Stock ROMs only and not Stock rooted ROMs.

Apps: The apps versions within Apps folder are CWM recoveries that can be flashed on Stock rooted and CM7 ROMs.

Instructions:

For Windows users:

FLASH RECOVERY INTERNAL (emmc):

- Download a flashable CWM/TWRP/Stock recovery you need (The ones that start with flash_ tag)
- Copy the .zip to both internal/external sdcard
- Reboot into CWM/TWRP recovery
- Go to flash zip from sdcard >> Choose zip from sdcard/internal sdcard and flash the internal recovery

ADVANCED:

- You can flash CWM on internal emmc and copy TWRP_sdcard as altboot.img in /bootdata and cyanoboot can start anything you want!

screenshot-1347651840164.png

NOTE: You can also flash an internal recovery from CWM sdcard (see below) if you don't have one already installed.

- Simply copy the .zip to the CWM sdcard you create and flash normally

files.JPG

CREATE CWM/TWRP SDCARD:

i. CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard & CM9-10_TWRP_v2.2.2.0_8-16gb_tools_sdcard

- Uncompress, rename cwm_6012_sd.img to recovery.img
- Uncompress, rename twrp_2220_sd.img to altboot.img
- Drop them to the root of your sdcard ("/sdcard")
- Access recovery.img from SD Card Recovery option in cyanoboot
- Access altboot.img from SD Card Alternate option in cyanoboot

ADVANCED:

- If you are using cyanoboot on the sdcard then place MLO, uboot & flashing_boot.img + cwm as recovery.img and/or twrp .img as altboot.img on a sdcard and twrp as altboot and you will have the best of both worlds.

ii. CM7-9_CWM_v5.5.x_8gb-16gb_tools_sdcard

WARNING: This will completely erase your microSD card. Make sure to back it up first!

- Power off your NT and remove sdcard
- Put your sdcard into a microSD card Reader/Adapter (preferably)
IMG_20120713_124955.jpg

- Format your sdcard with SDFormatter (recommended) or any other but not windows native.
- Download latest Win32DiskImage-binary.zip from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download (v0.5 recommended)
- Download CWM/TWRP recovery for sdcard from the Download Links above
- Unzip both files
- Run Win32DiskImage.exe - Right click "run as administrator"
- Click the folder button and navigate to select the CWM/TWRP .img file you just downloaded and unzipped.
- Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
- Press Write. When it finishes, press Exit.
- Safely eject/remove your sdcard and put it back to your NT
- Power on your device, enjoy!

NOTE: To return your micro SDcard to it's original size simply format it again with SDformatter. You can then restore your files from the backup you made at first back to your sdcard.

For Linux users:

- Use dd command to "burn" the image file (.img) to your sdcard

FAQ:

Q: I've tried several times and my Nook still does not boot from sdcard, what else should i try?
A: It's known that some Nook Tablets have a little bug and the only way to make it boot from sdcard is by powering off the device and plugging it to the power or PC with an USB cable.

Q: OK i did the trick above but still my Nook Tablet does not boot from sdcard
A: Try with another sdcard

Q: Alright i tried with a different microSD card but still nada :'(
A: I'm sorry to hear that but seems you're out of luck, eather try with another sdcard and make sure you follow the steps to the "T"

~ Veronica

Last edited:

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
Nice work! This will hopefully do as you say and lead to less soft bricks and panicked nook owners.

Now we just need to get indirect or someone else to update the app to have this new recovery in it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Reactions: madlove02

Cubanluke88

Nov 18, 2011
Connecticut
I just tried flashing this via terminal emulator for ****s on the off chance it'd work but no dice; image file too large.

Hopefully someone can get an internal one to work.

Sent from my NookTablet using Tapatalk

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008

This links to the source. Can you please provide a link for the compiled version?

Edit: Ok, nevermind, 'View Raw' allows me to download what appears to be the correct file.

Edit2: Confirmed working on 8gb NT. Turning device on while holding Power + N. 'Reboot to Recovery' from within CM9 also works.

Thank you meghd00t! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: lavero.burgos

old_fart

Dec 8, 2011
it never rains here
This links to the source. Can you please provide a link for the compiled version?

Edit: Ok, nevermind, 'View Raw' allows me to download what appears to be the correct file.

Edit2: Confirmed working on 8gb NT. Turning device on while holding Power + N. 'Reboot to Recovery' from within CM9 also works.

i was poke'ing at it too and came away mystified, but you figured it out ! ! ! um, if it's succulent's git... goes that mean that he made it ?

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011

Thanks for test I'll update op with direct link for faster download.

Edit : OP Updated

~ Veronica

Last edited:

lost101

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 30, 2008
Out of curiosity; does this replace the stock recovery? and if so, is it possible to revert back?

Edit: Apologies, I just realized Indirect's Nook Tablet Recovery Flasher App does just that.

Last edited:

ferryco

Jul 30, 2009
installed this cwm on internal and now my nook tablet wont boot CM7, it's always booting cwm recovery, tried other ROM but no luck, man, i need the stock recovery to flash it via cwm please

ferryco

Jul 30, 2009
same problem after flash the file... it can't even boot from SD now what's wrong? all it does is enter in cwm recovery every single time!

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
same problem after flash the file... it can't even boot from SD now what's wrong? all it does is enter in cwm recovery every single time!

I have to ask, what did you do before you flash the recovery? What did you flash it with?

flash_clear_bootcount.zip only reset the boot count in bootdata. You should still be able to boot from sdcard. I feel like you formatted bootdata partition or something.

Give us more details. What NT version do you have?

This file is tested on 16GB version of NT, it replace partition 1-4 and 6. It's enough for you to do factory restore. That is if you didn't mess up your partitions.
http://www.mediafire.com/?z2n5h3k81a0nsy8

Reactions: ferryco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I decided to create this thread as i haven't seen meghd00t around for some days now and Indirect han not updated his App to flash recovery (CWM {or} Stock)! Update (safety fixes) PLEASE DOWNLOAD! Thread because there is no internal build of cwm for this new version yet.

As many know the app to flash recovery by @Indirect and the one posted by @Goncezilla are for 16GB model only but many 8GB NT users have used it to flash CWM internal and soft-bricked their devices, so @meghd00t took the plunge and compiled a version for CWM that works for both 8GB and 16GB model that way we expect to have less bricked Nook Tablets.

IMG_20120827_133630.jpg

@meghd00t for internal/sdcard version of CWM and now TWRP for both models
    @succulent for internal version for both models
    @indirect for the recovery flasher applications
    @romanbb for the first CWM build
    @fattire for helping with development even though he doesn't own a Nook Tablet

Download Link:

Link 1 - My FTP Nook Tablet folder
    Link 2 - My mediafire Nook Tablet folder

ftp_recoveries.JPG

Explanation:

Pay attention to the name of the package, i'll proceed to explain the different tags:

sdcard: micro sdcard version
    emmc: internal version
    tools: it has @meghd00t's tools for repartition and format baked in.
    -------------------------------
    CM7-9: Is proved to work on both, BUT in CM7 when you attempt to reboot into recovery it will boot to emmc instead so you must do it manually by pressing POWER+VOL UP when the "N" screen shows up while rebooting.

CM7-SR: One of the first CWM recovery released for the 16gb model, work with CM7 and B&N stock rooted ROMs.

CM9-10: The new recovery by @meghd00t, work on all CM9 and CM10, if you attempt to flash a CM7 or B&N stock rooted ROM it will freeze so you must flash an appropriate recovery before flash those ROMs.

CM9: @Chris CWM recovery for his CM9 ROMs, this version correspond to the CM9 v0.05.1 ROM but it works with his other CM9 versions and the CM9 ports. This version also work with CM7 and possibly stock rooted too but you will not be able to reboot into recovery automatically so i suggest you to use an appropriate recovery for those ROMs.

B&N_Stock: These versions belongs to B&N Stock ROMs only and not Stock rooted ROMs.

Apps: The apps versions within Apps folder are CWM recoveries that can be flashed on Stock rooted and CM7 ROMs.

Instructions:

For Windows users:

FLASH RECOVERY INTERNAL (emmc):

- Download a flashable CWM/TWRP/Stock recovery you need (The ones that start with flash_ tag)
    - Copy the .zip to both internal/external sdcard
    - Reboot into CWM/TWRP recovery
    - Go to flash zip from sdcard >> Choose zip from sdcard/internal sdcard and flash the internal recovery

ADVANCED:

- You can flash CWM on internal emmc and copy TWRP_sdcard as altboot.img in /bootdata and cyanoboot can start anything you want!

screenshot-1347651840164.png

NOTE: You can also flash an internal recovery from CWM sdcard (see below) if you don't have one already installed.

- Simply copy the .zip to the CWM sdcard you create and flash normally

files.JPG

CREATE CWM/TWRP SDCARD:

i. CM9-10_CWM_v6.0.1.2_8-16gb_tools_sdcard & CM9-10_TWRP_v2.2.2.0_8-16gb_tools_sdcard

- Uncompress, rename cwm_6012_sd.img to recovery.img
    - Uncompress, rename twrp_2220_sd.img to altboot.img
    - Drop them to the root of your sdcard ("/sdcard")
    - Access recovery.img from SD Card Recovery option in cyanoboot
    - Access altboot.img from SD Card Alternate option in cyanoboot

ADVANCED:

- If you are using cyanoboot on the sdcard then place MLO, uboot & flashing_boot.img + cwm as recovery.img and/or twrp .img as altboot.img on a sdcard and twrp as altboot and you will have the best of both worlds.

ii. CM7-9_CWM_v5.5.x_8gb-16gb_tools_sdcard

WARNING: This will completely erase your microSD card. Make sure to back it up first!

- Power off your NT and remove sdcard
    - Put your sdcard into a microSD card Reader/Adapter (preferably)
    IMG_20120713_124955.jpg

- Format your sdcard with SDFormatter (recommended) or any other but not windows native.
    - Download latest Win32DiskImage-binary.zip from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download (v0.5 recommended)
    - Download CWM/TWRP recovery for sdcard from the Download Links above
    - Unzip both files
    - Run Win32DiskImage.exe - Right click "run as administrator"
    - Click the folder button and navigate to select the CWM/TWRP .img file you just downloaded and unzipped.
    - Click on the disk drive letter label on the right, and choose the letter that corresponds to your SD card.
    - Press Write. When it finishes, press Exit.
    - Safely eject/remove your sdcard and put it back to your NT
    - Power on your device, enjoy!

NOTE: To return your micro SDcard to it's original size simply format it again with SDformatter. You can then restore your files from the backup you made at first back to your sdcard.

For Linux users:

- Use dd command to "burn" the image file (.img) to your sdcard

FAQ:

Q: I've tried several times and my Nook still does not boot from sdcard, what else should i try?
    A: It's known that some Nook Tablets have a little bug and the only way to make it boot from sdcard is by powering off the device and plugging it to the power or PC with an USB cable.

Q: OK i did the trick above but still my Nook Tablet does not boot from sdcard
    A: Try with another sdcard

Q: Alright i tried with a different microSD card but still nada :'(
    A: I'm sorry to hear that but seems you're out of luck, eather try with another sdcard and make sure you follow the steps to the "T"

~ Veronica
    None of this works.

EDIT: Figured it out

Easiest way to install the latest CWM to internal memory (FOR 16GB USERS! Untested on 8gb):

1.)Download meghd00t's latest emmc recovery here (I used 6.0.1.3)
    2.)copy over img file to sd card renaming it recovery.img
    3.)Using root explorer copy recovery.img to the root of file system "/" using mount R/W
    4.)Open terminal explorer and use these commands:
    Code:
    su
    dd if=/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    5.)If it works you will see it successfully copied the file
    screenshot-1347019633927.png

6.)Power down tablet then power back on and hold the n for cynoboot
    7.)Boot into internal emmc recovery
    8.)Success

Thanks to meghd00t for recovery files and Cubanluke88 for terminal explorer instructions
    Updated CWM Recovery 6.0.1.2

OK, I have a Nook Tablet again, and so here goes .. updated recoveries both CWM and TWRP using the latest jellybean kernel

CWM 6.0.1.2 for emmc
    http://mir.cr/LYNHL5XT

CWM 6.0.1.2 for SD
    http://mir.cr/T2DOMXDT

TWRP 2.2.2.0 for EMMC
    http://mir.cr/QGAXEFZK

TWRP 2.2.2.0 for SD
    http://mir.cr/1HFFQDTW

I have tested backup, restore, wipe, install zip, adb, sgdisk and parted. All looks OK on my 16GB device, Please test on a 8GB and provide feedback.
    Just a question...

20319044.jpg

Oh, I kid.