decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Words with Friends *Dark Mod* v4.01

Updated 08/17/2011
v4.01
-No Ads Version
-Facebook dark themed

For some odd reason, I wanted to theme the Words with Friends app.
I didn't want to include this in the subject, but as an added bonus this is a version with the ads stripped away. I wouldn't post this if there was a paid version available on the market...but there's not.

I did the theming, not the smali magic of redirecting to avoid the ads. As soon as I remember/find who did the smali work, I'll give them credit.

There are still a few areas for improvement, e.g. the Settings screen, background of the game board, Chat area, News button (black text).
But most of the most commonly used screens look nice. I didn't want to mess with the tiles just yet, so most of those colors are the same.

Screencaps
..oops.. that's how often I change themes :)

4.01 Screencap
screenshot-1313616618631.png
screenshot-1313449163749.png

screenshot-1313449235101.png
screenshot-1313556614806%252520%2525282%252529.png

Installation Instructions
1. Uninstall previous version (preferably with Titanium.. and make a backup).
Note: All of your games are stored on their servers-- not your device. When you log in, it retrieves all of your info automagically.

2. Install normally with a file explorer (e.g. Astro, Root Explorer.. or adb install).
App is signed.

DOWNLOAD Words with Friends Dark Mod v4.01 (No Ads)

DOWNLOAD Words with Friends Dark Mod v3.52 (No Ads)

Enjoy!

Last edited:

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Looks great and works great. Any chance at modding the newest version?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I'm gonna take a look at it later today. I don't like the facebook integration in it and have heard it slows down the app. Do you have that experience?

Either way, I probably will. 90% of the mods were png edits, so most of the work is already done :)

steindog99

Aug 28, 2008
Janesville
I don't have any slow down in the newest version. Seems the fastest yet actually. I really am liking your version, just missing the FB portion of it...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

iwould4adollar

Dec 31, 2008
Looks Great

This looks really good, I made a couple (one black for me and one pink for my wife) with a "few" extra words in the lexicon, but I couldn't get the drawables.xml file to take. Every time I modded it, it would FC when opened. Any chance of letting me know how you got that one to work? :eek:

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
This looks really good, I made a couple (one black for me and one pink for my wife) with a "few" extra words in the lexicon, but I couldn't get the drawables.xml file to take. Every time I modded it, it would FC when opened. Any chance of letting me know how you got that one to work? :eek:

Hm - I haven't had any problems with the drawable.xml specifically -- are you sure it's not the extra words that caused the FC problems? I would imagine it would compare those lexicon xmls with some kind of database to verify.. (but maybe not?)

Which version were u working on? I know from 3.52 to 4.00 (and 4.01) they've added a line at the bottom of the drawables.xml (I think dark_grey). I'd love to see screen caps :)

Did you by any chance find the location of the board background (that light blue color) in between the bottom of the tiles and the tile rack (zynga logo over it on the right). I can't find it anywhere... guessing it's a smali mod.

iwould4adollar

Dec 31, 2008
Hm - I haven't had any problems with the drawable.xml specifically -- are you sure it's not the extra words that caused the FC problems? I would imagine it would compare those lexicon xmls with some kind of database to verify.. (but maybe not?)

Which version were u working on? I know from 3.52 to 4.00 (and 4.01) they've added a line at the bottom of the drawables.xml (I think dark_grey). I'd love to see screen caps :)

Did you by any chance find the location of the board background (that light blue color) in between the bottom of the tiles and the tile rack (zynga logo over it on the right). I can't find it anywhere... guessing it's a smali mod.

They don't verify the words online only locally, I've played "f*ck" just to test it out. It scrores and shows properly on facebook and android :D. The light blue bellow the game board I was sure was in the drawables.xml as was the light blue above the board as well......I thought, but I saw you had that one recolored. Any time I decompile it FC's on open, I had to extract it then put the .png's back in the APK. so anything in resources.arsc and classes.dex is off limits for me. :confused:

F.png

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Haha that's so awesome. I don't know if you've tried this, but this is how I do it.
Decompile original, make xml and or smali edits, compile, N to system apk, N to replace pngs, then open the unsigned apk in Place here for modding, replace the original pngs with the modded ones (using 7zip), save, close, then sign the zip, then install.
If that's not what you're doing, might be worth a try.

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .

iwould4adollar

Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, that's what I did. Lol I think I'm just gonna steal yours, 'cause at least you got the space above the board.... :p better than mine :p . All the dictionary entries are in \res\raw named "words_(letter).txt" I edited them with notepad++ and you can add any words at all. Reinsert like the .png's.

EDIT*
Nope that one doesn't have the top colored any differently, it must be my screen resolution (EVO 3D) so its the same. Ah well watcha gonna do. Thanks for the awesome base to work with.

Last edited:

decalex

Apr 21, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, that's what I did. Lol I think I'm just gonna steal yours, 'cause at least you got the space above the board.... :p better than mine :p . All the dictionary entries are in \res\raw named "words_(letter).txt" I edited them with notepad++ and you can add any words at all. Reinsert like the .png's.

EDIT*
Nope that one doesn't have the top colored any differently, it must be my screen resolution (EVO 3D) so its the same. Ah well watcha gonna do. Thanks for the awesome base to work with.

Totally, have at it! :)

OP updated btw, to 4.01 with caps.

folkland

May 13, 2006
Love the mod and the no-ads - thanks!

I haven noticed that the remaining letters text in the lower left ends up being really hard to read. Any change we could get that with better contrast?

Thanks in advance..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Words with Friends *Dark Mod* v4.01

Updated 08/17/2011
    v4.01
    -No Ads Version
    -Facebook dark themed

For some odd reason, I wanted to theme the Words with Friends app.
    I didn't want to include this in the subject, but as an added bonus this is a version with the ads stripped away. I wouldn't post this if there was a paid version available on the market...but there's not.

I did the theming, not the smali magic of redirecting to avoid the ads. As soon as I remember/find who did the smali work, I'll give them credit.

There are still a few areas for improvement, e.g. the Settings screen, background of the game board, Chat area, News button (black text).
    But most of the most commonly used screens look nice. I didn't want to mess with the tiles just yet, so most of those colors are the same.

Screencaps
    ..oops.. that's how often I change themes :)

4.01 Screencap
    screenshot-1313616618631.png
    screenshot-1313449163749.png

screenshot-1313449235101.png
    screenshot-1313556614806%252520%2525282%252529.png

Installation Instructions
    1. Uninstall previous version (preferably with Titanium.. and make a backup).
    Note: All of your games are stored on their servers-- not your device. When you log in, it retrieves all of your info automagically.

2. Install normally with a file explorer (e.g. Astro, Root Explorer.. or adb install).
    App is signed.

DOWNLOAD Words with Friends Dark Mod v4.01 (No Ads)

DOWNLOAD Words with Friends Dark Mod v3.52 (No Ads)

Enjoy!