Ouch Ouch its burning

Search This thread

SpartanVissepo

Feb 26, 2011
Google Pixel 7
I was just curious to know if someone else's phone is over heating. Yesterday I was watching a boxing match on youtube with 4G on and it reached to a scary 121°. 4 hours later I was playing the nova demo with the screen at 45% brightness, played for like 20 minutes or so and it reached 112°. Just whanted to figure out if this is normal that personallyI think is not, and also if someone else it's experiencing the same issue. Thanks

Edit: Both of times I was indoorsjust in case someone is wondering.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

whatsitsnamenow

Aug 10, 2010
California
Mine can get much hotter than that but it pretty much hovers around the 120 range when I'm browsing the web.

I also get this message when charging and watching a video. I need to exchange it. Just need to find a Best Buy store that has one in stock.

Attachments

• SC20110918-204941.jpg
    SC20110918-204941.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

SpartanVissepo

Feb 26, 2011
Google Pixel 7
Woow thats amazing. Im guessing that those temperatures can be harmful to the phone right?

I use system info from the market to check my phone status very useful

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
I was just curious to know if someone else's phone is over heating. Yesterday I was watching a boxing match on youtube with 4G on and it reached to a scary 121°. 4 hours later I was playing the nova demo with the screen at 45% brightness, played for like 20 minutes or so and it reached 112°. Just whanted to figure out if this is normal that personallyI think is not, and also if someone else it's experiencing the same issue. Thanks

Edit: Both of times I was indoorsjust in case someone is wondering.

My phone was just laying in shotgun of my car with the car charger plugged in and the display on, then all of a sudden I picked it up and it was hella hot! 120° read SetCPU and I got shook, ripped the battery out and threw the phone in front of an AC but then I got worried that the extremities could possibly warp the board, so now Im thinking Im going to return my phone! In no way can this be good for the phone, I don't see how it can not get affect it when reaching 120, 130, 140 degrees!!! Im worried that in a week, a month, a year from now something will go terribly wrong and I really don't want to risk it, so I'm real close to returning this phone and just waiting for the Nexus!

LouieGrandie

Aug 14, 2011
I am amazed that a phone getting hot after heavy use is such a surprise to everyone. See any fans? see any ventilation? Here you are using a dual core 1.5 GZ processor, what were you expecting, ice water?

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
I am amazed that a phone getting hot after heavy use is such a surprise to everyone. See any fans? see any ventilation? Here you are using a dual core 1.5 GZ processor, what were you expecting, ice water?

Who mentioned anything about heavy usage and overclocking? CPU is 1.2Ghz stock buddy and I wasn't doing anything on my phone at the time it overheated...I have a Droid Incredible 2, and I run its CPU OC to 2.035Ghz and its never once gone over 105 degrees, so before you go getting all amazed, get your facts straight!

Last edited:

jromankvcc

Jun 29, 2011
Saint Louis. MO
I have noticed this too.

With the phone simply in my pocket, my leg would feel warm. I could grab the phone and the phone would feel quite hot. Not so hot that it would burn my ear, but warm enough that it would feel like there's some kind of problem. Usually, heat = battery getting drained. When I check to see if there's anything running, there's nothing...

Right now, have been listening to Spotify for over 2 hours, and it's cold as ambient temperature. Will try installing some monitoring program and report if I notice more heat issues. I know the Evo3D used to get "burns my ear" hot when using it as GPS while connected to the car charger. My guess was that if the screen is on, and there's power going to it, it'd always get hot. Maybe it wasn't supposed to and that was just my assumption. However, same thing happens to this one; watching netflix, or playing a game, or anything demanding, and if I'm plugged, it will get really hot, really fast. If not connected, it won't get as hot, but "normally" hot nonetheless.

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
I have noticed this too.

With the phone simply in my pocket, my leg would feel warm. I could grab the phone and the phone would feel quite hot. Not so hot that it would burn my ear, but warm enough that it would feel like there's some kind of problem. Usually, heat = battery getting drained. When I check to see if there's anything running, there's nothing...

Right now, have been listening to Spotify for over 2 hours, and it's cold as ambient temperature. Will try installing some monitoring program and report if I notice more heat issues. I know the Evo3D used to get "burns my ear" hot when using it as GPS while connected to the car charger. My guess was that if the screen is on, and there's power going to it, it'd always get hot. Maybe it wasn't supposed to and that was just my assumption. However, same thing happens to this one; watching netflix, or playing a game, or anything demanding, and if I'm plugged, it will get really hot, really fast. If not connected, it won't get as hot, but "normally" hot nonetheless.

That you know of, did they ever fix the issue on the Evo3D?

LouieGrandie

Aug 14, 2011
Let me put it another way. I don't see any process or feature that will cool down the phone when in moderate to heavy use. I expect it to get hot. I have always thought, how are they going to disperse the heat?

JungleJiujitsu

Sep 12, 2010
Westbury, NY
Let me put it another way. I don't see any process or feature that will cool down the phone when in moderate to heavy use. I expect it to get hot. I have always thought, how are they going to disperse the heat?

I don't know dude but what I do know is that I have the Incredible 2 overclocked to over 2Ghz!!! and my Xoom at 1.7Ghz and neither one of them has every gotten this hot before!!

doctor ladd

Apr 5, 2009
Boston
Mine got hot on day 1 from youtube and general setup but after a full nights charge it has been great for 2 full days, no heating up or anything weird.

But man did it get hot!

Edit: I turned off gps the night this happened. I have been using my phone alot and have not experienced this again.

Last edited:

gksmith

Dec 23, 2010
You need a dose of Penicillin and Cortizone. The burning sensations should clear up. In the mean time, stay away from strange phones and turn off the vibration loop - LOL

Sorry, but I've done quite a bit with my phone (videos, NetFlix, etc...) and it doesn't get warm enough to burn.

jromankvcc

Jun 29, 2011
Saint Louis. MO
An Intel CPU (i7, for example) can run at 200 degrees Fahreneheit. In fact, the roof is about 100 degrees Celsius. To protect the CPU, there are heatsinks, fans, water cooling, etc. Video cards can also go up to 70 degrees celsius before showing artifacts; some can do much better.

We're commenting a heat that is not nearly that much for a phone. IF the SOC gets to 100 degrees celsius, that's one thing; 100 degrees fahrenheit...that is the temperature in many places around here.

These SOC don't need such fans, heatsinks, etc, because they're not supposed to reach temps of 200 degrees. They should be self contained.

On my Evo3D, which I passed on to my father, I could smell like something was burning. It wasn't, but it smelled like if it were, around the battery. Yeah, it still gets hot when in use, and specially if connected.

I believe there's also comments that on all new phones, the first few charges, while the battery adapts, the phone may be hot. Of course it had been over 2 months on my Evo3D and it still gets hot.

The E4gT is doing better today, but I haven't thrown any video/games at it yet; nor has it been in my pocket.

I'd say give it a couple days. I know I've reported my own concern, and I'll be checking it to make sure the "hotness" is within reasonable limits.