No micro-sd slot, why bother (for most)?

Search This thread

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
Unless planning on only using as an ereader and web device, the less than seven gigs of total usable storage between apps and data/media storage kind of makes the device pointless.

Why bother? Especially people that dwell in these forums.

atoy74

Oct 22, 2007
I dont know, I'm more of a "glass is half full" person. Considering the price point and Amazon's excellent return policy, I dont see the harm in getting it into your hands and deciding then.

Mama Luigi

Aug 4, 2010
I for one do not use a huge amount of storage space. I don't keep music or movies on my phone. But the SD card is still useful for backing up my apps and data. I'm mostly concerned about how the lack of an SD card is going to impact your ability to hack stuff.

As long as I can hack the thing to run stock Android, I don't care about the lack of an SD card.

snokarver

Jun 30, 2011
I think it's best to think of the built-in storage as cache. Amazon is trying to everything on its cloud. Books, videos, music... all stored on their cloud. When you need it, it'll cache it locally.

Same goes for backup. No need to backup to a SD card because it'll automatically be backed up to their cloud.

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Err..

I think there is a certain missed point here that the author felt was going to be picked up. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

First, you can only keep AMAZON purchases in the cloud.

Second, while the processor is impressive.. they ripped out a lot of "nice" things which would have been cool to have.. I mean if it didn't have dual core 1ghz processor.. it would just be another "value tablet" or hell it would be frowned upon more than that due to the lack of bells and whistles.

So, the problem we have.. Is if you plan on doing anything besides ereading you are out of luck.. (and lets be real here.. if this was only being looked at as an ereader, it wouldn't have a forum here.)

Since you can't load whatever you want to the cloud, your stuck with 8 gigs which might be "ok" if it was *ONLY* an ereader.. However, honestly.. by the time you root it.. install the latest version of Cyanogen and possibly load a few songs on there.. most of your space is done.

Aside from that, the fact that it has no optional SD card slots may complicate the rooting/unrooting process. I would buy a Nook Color for 50$ more, because I can run CM7 from an SD card and not void my warranty since I could dual boot it. Especially if the kindle fire ends up unable to go back to stock.

Reactions: cymoze and fortunz

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside
Aside from that, the fact that it has no optional SD card slots may complicate the rooting/unrooting process. I would buy a Nook Color for 50$ more, because I can run CM7 from an SD card and not void my warranty since I could dual boot it. Especially if the kindle fire ends up unable to go back to stock.

Except with new nook colors on the way, the original isn't going to cost more than the fire anymore. I can imagine new condition original NCs going for $150 or less over the holidays.

The fire is a sweet tab at a nice price and I've been eagerly awaiting details all summer, but for some folks the slot is going to be important. I boot my TP2 android build from the SD card, and I like the low risk nature of it. Not sure if with a NC I would go nand or sd, but I like having the option.

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Honestly for 150$ i'd probably grab the Nook Color..

unless the lenovo A1 was priced the same and had equal dev support.

I'm definitely holding off on kindle to see what else comes out... I am wondering if others are going to try to beat kindle to the punch.. or if they are going to think it is worth it..

I mean it is hard to compete if amazon takes a loss on hardware in hopes of making it up in software.

shadow65781

Jan 11, 2009
willard
Unless planning on only using as an ereader and web device, the less than seven gigs of total usable storage between apps and data/media storage kind of makes the device pointless.

Dwelling.......... Here.

sent from my Infuse at Tranquility Base.

Last edited:

yashmack

May 20, 2011
Ive got a Viewsonic gTablet which has around 16GB of internal space
Ive run Cyanogen and it takes up maybe a half a gig of room, that would leave around 7GB of storage
most of the apps I use are installed on and stored on the internal parition which is around 2GB, so that leaves around 1.5GB of usable space of which my apps take up about 500MB
out of the 14GB I have on the second parition of the 16GB onboard SD card I have 9.3GB free, and its storing all my ROMs...
I use less than 5GB for storage, so 8GB seems like plenty to me for now

I wont be keeping terabytes of video and music on this tablet so it doesnt matter to me personally

even with my gtablet I use less than 8GB, I stream most everything I watch on it as well
wouldnt be any different for the Kindle Fire...

I would prefer some kind of external storage option, but thats ok, its not required

drumking

Apr 20, 2010
A SD slot would be nice but not that big of a deal. I already have my on
pre-order. Most Rooting and Roms can be done with out a removable SD
card, the Nexus S 4g doesn't have a removable SD. I have rooted and gone
back and forth from stock to custom works just fine.

Reactions: s0m3f00l

s0m3f00l

Jul 18, 2010
Jersey City

Exactly.... Why would you want the ROM on the SD card? I guess its to keep stock on your phone? But I thought we were the ones that didn't care about stock and were pushing the envelope... Well I came in at Droid 1... We didnt have SD card option back then. You either voided your warranty or you did what Verizon told you too. So I ask you this... When you your own Admin on your own phone... can't you write your own Warranty?

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Exactly.... Why would you want the ROM on the SD card? I guess its to keep stock on your phone? But I thought we were the ones that didn't care about stock and were pushing the envelope... Well I came in at Droid 1... We didnt have SD card option back then. You either voided your warranty or you did what Verizon told you too. So I ask you this... When you your own Admin on your own phone... can't you write your own Warranty?

Er.

I will push the envelope. I have CM7 on my captivate.. The issue is I can odin to stock.

There isn't always an easy way to go back to stock. And if I'm going to get a kindle fire I am going to use it as a full on tablet.

I already have over 8 gigs in play on my phone a lone :/

I have no problem flashing, rooting or anything else. If I completely break my device and it is my fault, I'm not going to make someone else pay for my mistakes.

On the other hand, I always want a way to go back, in case of faulty hardware which does happen time to time.

So even though it isn't dual core..if your going to flash anyway.. it makes the nook color a bit more appealing.. especially since it will probably get a price drop soon :/

s0m3f00l

Jul 18, 2010
Jersey City
Hey, to each his own. you know? We don't have to agree I hope the Nook works out for you brother. Personally, I am going with the fire I don't have a need to return faulty hardware and if I do I will figure it out when I do.

G

geek_riot

Err..

I think there is a certain missed point here that the author felt was going to be picked up. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Where did you get this information from? I have been searching for an answer as to whether non Amazon content can be stored and I don't see any indication that it can't be. Currently you can store non Amazon content in their cloud. I hope that holds true for the fire.

Sep 30, 2011
Ventura
A micro SD card slot would have been nice.
But for $199 I'm not going to complain. It has superior hardware compared to some of the tablets priced in that range.

FloridaPhil

Jul 17, 2011
Tampa Bay
Dropbox will give you another 2gb cloud storage for free and you can get tons more cheaply if you need it.

Since I stream everything, I don't get what the fuss is about no SD card.

Same as the people fussing over the lack of cameras, mic, bluetooth and 3g. I have a phone to take care of those things plus I'll just use my phone's 4g wifi hotspot to get online if I need to.

The KF will be just perfect for instant on email checking, light web browsing and some book reading. For $199 it's great value.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Oct 7, 2007
Amazon has their own storage service that they want to sell you a subscription to. Also, having no SD card makes a little more difficult to hack. No doubt Amazon watched the NC get hacked and not used to buy B&N products and want to ensure they get additional revenue for the subsidizing the cost of the Fire.

Snow_fox

Jun 6, 2010
OnePlus 7 Pro
Where did you get this information from? I have been searching for an answer as to whether non Amazon content can be stored and I don't see any indication that it can't be. Currently you can store non Amazon content in their cloud. I hope that holds true for the fire.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-C...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321696462&pf_rd_i=507846

Cloud Storage Free cloud storage for all Amazon content

Says nothing about non amazon content. I could be wrong, really seems to me like thus far they are doing whatever they can to prevent hacking and limiting the cloud usage would be a pretty good way to do it.

A micro SD card slot would have been nice.
But for $199 I'm not going to complain. It has superior hardware compared to some of the tablets priced in that range.
Err.. I think this is subject to debate. I may be sitting around christmas going "Man wish I'd have pre-ordered earlier!" However, the Lenovo A1 is also coming out, there are probably going to be even more tablets now and they are going to be even more competitive.

Really.. the Amazon Tab is lacking. I mean I hate to invoke the name, because it seems to grant instant flame wars.. However, We crucify another brand which is very popular among the general population for these kinds of tactics.

I mean I really feel like all people are reading is "IPS screen, Dual core, 199$" which is a very compelling device.. however, it is a pretty hard sale.

Dropbox will give you another 2gb cloud storage for free and you can get tons more cheaply if you need it.

Since I stream everything, I don't get what the fuss is about no SD card.

Same as the people fussing over the lack of cameras, mic, bluetooth and 3g. I have a phone to take care of those things plus I'll just use my phone's 4g wifi hotspot to get online if I need to.

The KF will be just perfect for instant on email checking, light web browsing and some book reading. For $199 it's great value.

dropbox won't give you anything last I checked. It requires you to have however much space you want to use on the actual device.

To me 3g is a ripoff anyway I will admit. Camera's aren't something I require on every single device I buy.. and honestly.. blue tooth is cool but not a prerequisite.

I really just think expandable storage (especially on an 8GB device) would be highly beneficial. I mean If I am wrong and you can throw whatever you want on the cloud I may reconsider.

The other issue I have.. although not a deal breaker.. is it looks like no physical buttons.. I at least want a back, home and menu.. Admittedly I have that problem with nook too but, it's w/e.

Amazon has their own storage service that they want to sell you a subscription to. Also, having no SD card makes a little more difficult to hack. No doubt Amazon watched the NC get hacked and not used to buy B&N products and want to ensure they get additional revenue for the subsidizing the cost of the Fire.
It is funny how some companies are opening up to mods more, and others are shutting them down at the same time.

Ah well..

BigJayDogg3

Feb 6, 2009
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Fire-C...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321696462&pf_rd_i=507846

Says nothing about non amazon content. I could be wrong, really seems to me like thus far they are doing whatever they can to prevent hacking and limiting the cloud usage would be a pretty good way to do it.
With music, if youre a paying cloud drive member, you have unlimited space for music. I think as it stands you can still buy an album and get upgraded to the 20 gig plan.Which means you have 20 gigs of space for whatever it is you want.
I mean I really feel like all people are reading is "IPS screen, Dual core, 199$" which is a very compelling device.. however, it is a pretty hard sale.

Is it really? How much storage soace does the average person need? Not the person ripping in loss less, not the one ripping blue rays, but someone that rips 128 mp3s and just wants to bring them around? That is the group manufacturers need to cater to. Not us who will make virtually any device into whever we want it to be.

dropbox won't give you anything last I checked. It requires you to have however much space you want to use on the actual device.

Dropbox for mobile doesn't work that way.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Err..

Second, while the processor is impressive.. they ripped out a lot of "nice" things which would have been cool to have.. I mean if it didn't have dual core 1ghz processor.. it would just be another "value tablet" or hell it would be frowned upon more than that due to the lack of bells and whistles.

So, the problem we have.. Is if you plan on doing anything besides ereading you are out of luck.. (and lets be real here.. if this was only being looked at as an ereader, it wouldn't have a forum here.)

Since you can't load whatever you want to the cloud, your stuck with 8 gigs which might be "ok" if it was *ONLY* an ereader.. However, honestly.. by the time you root it.. install the latest version of Cyanogen and possibly load a few songs on there.. most of your space is done.

Yes. You are absolutely right - and why bother with those stupid Google Nexus phones. They don;t have SD cards either.