Really Slow Internet Speeds In LTE Market.

Search This thread

icemanscion

Jun 30, 2010
So I live in Chicago, IL and have a skyrocket from ATT with the rooted 2.3.6 stock rom. I have however never gotten anywhere near the LTE speeds others rave about. The highest speed I have ever had was 6m d 2m up and that was RARE. I usually get 3m up 1m down. I wonder however if it could be from my sim card as the guy at att just took my Galaxy s2 sim and put it in the skyrocket. Any help would be much appreciated. And I am always in the city or in the suburb which houses O'Hare international airport so I think I should be doing fine signal wise.

jedah

Jun 10, 2008
So I live in Chicago, IL and have a skyrocket from ATT with the rooted 2.3.6 stock rom. I have however never gotten anywhere near the LTE speeds others rave about. The highest speed I have ever had was 6m d 2m up and that was RARE. I usually get 3m up 1m down. I wonder however if it could be from my sim card as the guy at att just took my Galaxy s2 sim and put it in the skyrocket. Any help would be much appreciated. And I am always in the city or in the suburb which houses O'Hare international airport so I think I should be doing fine signal wise.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you seeing the 4G LTE icon? Or just 4G?

I also exchanged an S2 for an SR, and they also just swapped my SIM. LTE recently soft launched in LA, and I've gotten speeds between 8 to 19Mbps (before I usually hovered between 2 and 3Mbps).

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com

Chicago was one of the first LTE markets and with 10 million people in the city and suburbs...it's bound to be a little slower than some of the smaller citys.

I live in Naperville and usually get 10-15 down and occasional 25-30 down....I am sure the city of Chicago is probably less.

DRamer77

Aug 13, 2010
Hagerstown,MD
yea thats way low for LTE no matter how many people are on the network.. have you tried restarting the phone and see if it is better ?

this is the best ive seen locally on HSPA+

388513_10150526398169388_750869387_10880624_752429466_n.jpg

00mred00

Aug 11, 2010
Princeton Tx
When you press menu.settings.about phone.status

What is listed next to network type.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

shaggyskunk

Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2011
IDK
I AM in Ottawa, Canada and LTE speed is great.... IF you are in the pretty narrow band of coverage.
Some people have reported issues, with not being able to make calls when the LTE icon was displayed..
LTE may have been up for a few months, but it seems that maybe the carriers rushed, just to be the first?

Sent from my SGH-I727R using XDA App

haroonie

Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL

this is the best I've gotten in the Chicago area.

LTE speeds in chicago stink and are no where near what others are getting in other LTE markets.. the max i've ever gotten was 25 down and 10 up right outside chicago. i live in the northside of chicago and commute 20 miles to the nw suburbs and still dont get eye popping speeds nor consistent 20 meg speeds, only in orland park and naperville.. but everywhere else i average around 10 down and 10 up, which isn't bad, but is ok.

here's a thread i started when i first got the skyrocket and an article detailing as to why speeds in chicago may be slower. i hope the crank up the speeds soon or i may be considering Verizon LTE or Tmobile's faux-g.

XDA: Why AT&T LTE is fast in select markets but slow in others incl. Chicago
PC Magazine: Why is AT&T LTE Fast In Houston, Slow In Chicago?

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
Even though I am in Houston (which is supposed to have better speeds), I have never gotten anything higher than 29 Mbps down. Usually, it just stays under 10 Mbps.

MakAttak

Oct 12, 2011
Dallas
Even though I am in Houston (which is supposed to have better speeds), I have never gotten anything higher than 29 Mbps down. Usually, it just stays under 10 Mbps.

Everybody, PUHLEESE!

Look it is simple math. At 25.6Mb/s(ATM25) it will take about 10-11 MINUTES to blow past your 2GB limit with AT&T. Even at 50% overhead it still runs to the limits in about 15 minutes. Really? Seriously???!?!?!

All we seem to be doing is running OOKLA for bragging rights which is fine, I GET IT!

If you were to actually USE that bandwidth on AT&T for any length of time it would either get throttled, or even worse they would enforce the 1GB extension cost for every GB you go over.

Ten minutes??? cmon, lets get serious.

I am MUCH more interested in CM9 or ICS for Skyrocket than I am the speed - It is like a drag strip, you throw it into 1st, stomp on the gas, and before you can get it run up in 3rd you are shutting it down at the end of the track. That is what the 2GB limit is like on a phone that can push up into the 50-75mb/s ranges. Of course I used to love to get my Z28 down in the track in 12 seconds... ;)

Ookla for me in DFW is 22.35mb/s <- not too shabby...

Last edited: