Mar 5, 2009
Denver

Welcome to my guide on how to transform your one S

from that ugly grey and blue to a nice clean black and red finish

Things covered in this guide:
  • Where to get parts to do conversion
  • what parts to get to do a proper conversion
  • The steps I took to do the conversion

WARNING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DAMAGING YOUR PHONE WHILE TRYING TO DO THIS MOD. ANYTHING YOU CHOOSE TO DO TO YOUR PHONE IS JUST THAT...A CHOICE.. SO REMEMBER YOUR CHOICE IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING IT'S NOT MY FAULT

I would like to preface this guide. When I bought my Tmobile One-S it was in hopes the One X+ would come to T-Mobile.. Since this is not happening I have decied to just do the full case conversion to the black and red edition with the hTC branded screen.

Where I started:
  • Found the parts I needed
  • Watched some youtube vids for taking the screen out of the unit
  • Had some experience working with small electronics / cell phone repair before

Things you will need for this project:
  • Torx T5 screwdriver
  • Small phillips Screwdriver
  • A plastic case pry tool (should be avail from the place that sells my parts)
  • Housing
  • Midframe < that part is KEY for not having to do HEAVY modification to the tmobile midframe
  • Camera ring (the red one)
  • speaker cover and Sim cover in black
  • Adhesive strips (SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!)

Where I got these parts:
I use this site because when I worked at a cell phone repair shop this was our parts provider and the seller is a great one to work with and is local to the USA (fast shipping times)

Where to start:
I first started by watching a few youtube videos on how to replace my screen so i could get a feel for how hard it would be to actually dissasemble the phone. I will post a detailed picture guide once i shrink the pics and highlight the needed steps in them (dont be scared to use a hairdryer to get the glass of your screen nice and warm to the touch this will make the adhesive easier to seperate and lowers the risk of breaking your glass)

I started by popping off the sim cover and removing the 2x torx screws at the top of the frame and setting them aside.

1000305f.jpg

then i ran a pry tool to loosen up the adhesive on the bottom plate and it unclipped from the bottom of the frame

1000307e.jpg

Then in the spot i had removed the bottom clip from i unscrewed the 2x phillips screws and set them aside. I then ran a pry tool around the casing between the grey and black to seperate the midframe from frame

1000308x.jpg

once seperated I flipped the midframe over and heated up the battery slightly and then used my pry tool to pull the batter off the adhesive

1000313g.jpg

Once that was done i then unscrewed the phillips screw to the top left of the battery and undid the ribbon connections for volume touch and lcd

1000314n.jpg

i then heated up the screen and proceeded to run the pry tool around the edge of the screen VERY SLOWLY while keeping some heet on it

1000315v.jpg

i set it aside

I then turned the frame to its side to remove the volume buttons i applied a small ammount of heat and used the pry tool to loosen the adhesive (WARNING) they didnt make this a sealed thing so be sure you actually get behind the volume buttons

1000316ug.jpg

I then moved down to where the "chin" was and used a VERY small flathead to pop it off and i tried to be gentle with it as much as possible

i then applied heat to the buttons at the bottom of the frame and used the pry tool to take them off their adhesive

1000318o.jpg

just so you know these are attached to the board at the bottom

1000319s.jpg

it took some wiggling but i got it through the slide hole for it..

i applied some heat to the board that had the vibrator on it and used the pry tool to take it off the frame

1000320e.jpg

then i put the soft keys on the new midframe

1000321iq.jpg

1000322k.jpg

then i put the volume buttson on and the lcd back on

1000330d.jpg

1000323y.jpg

the only problem i ran into is the blue plastic that covers the top of our board was approx 2mm too thick for the EU frame

so i had to hack it up pretty bad to get the cover to fit

1000334k.jpg

1000335v.jpg

i know shes dirty i got my hands all over while putting stuff back together

total time on project: 2 hours. Total invested by choice: 105$ ... had to buy my screen cuz i broke the old one: 168$

Enjoy guys and gals and Happy modding :D

-Zarboz

Last edited:

MadJoe

Jul 18, 2007
Boston
Thanks for the write up and links.

I think replacing the screen is a little overboard, but to each their own. If you don't replace the screen or the camera cover (strangely I prefer the blue), it saves you $167, so not a bad price to spruce this thing up a little. Too bad there's no way to stuff more memory into it while it's open.

Sent from my H1S using XDA Premium.

O_G

Retired Senior Moderator / Retired ET Admin
Jul 8, 2007
Thread Cleaned

This has got way out of hand, lets keep discussion to the OP title, there is no need to make this personal. Now respect each other and keep on topic without bickering.​

BUILDER88

Aug 30, 2008
Sounds like an idea I could similarly apply....

I'm looking for the grey housing. Mine came with quite a buckle but I was too happy about getting my new device so I never sent it back.
Where can I buy it? Shipment to Germany should be possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
Sounds like an idea I could similarly apply....

I'm looking for the grey housing. Mine came with quite a buckle but I was too happy about getting my new device so I never sent it back.
Where can I buy it? Shipment to Germany should be possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

Doesn't the EU body come in grey????? i could have sworn looking at parts i saw a EU grey *housing*

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Genuine-Housing-Repair-HTC/dp/B008MRADHI

or you could do white im sure

if you would like to purchase my old housing it is 3 weeks old and is in fair condition and i do paypal

The place i order form is USA based so shipping might take a while to germany. Might want to look for a hong kong based seller.

you SHOULD be able to do the same thing with the grey and blue housing

i am uploading 100+ pictures right now guys So standby :D

Last edited:

iheartn1

Mar 20, 2010
cool mod, comes out to less than $60 if people dont replace their screen which i dont recommend from sky star trader. i work at a cell phone repair shop and sky star trader by far has given us the highest amount of bad digitizers so we completely stopped using them. one time we even ordered a digitizer for a rezound and the light and proximity sensor ports were so tinted the phone kept thinking it was next to an ear. theyre just poorly made and should be avoided

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
cool mod, comes out to less than $60 if people dont replace their screen which i dont recommend from sky star trader. i work at a cell phone repair shop and sky star trader by far has given us the highest amount of bad digitizers so we completely stopped using them. one time we even ordered a digitizer for a rezound and the light and proximity sensor ports were so tinted the phone kept thinking it was next to an ear. theyre just poorly made and should be avoided

I ordered mine from amazon to be honest for that reason

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

Kamilr97

Sep 9, 2012
Do you have any problems with reception? The T-mobile version has plastic on the bottom for the radio but the EU one doesn't. Does it affect anything?

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
Do you have any problems with reception? The T-mobile version has plastic on the bottom for the radio but the EU one doesn't. Does it affect anything?

That piece is just plastic the antenna runs from the main board down the right side of the frame to the bottom board

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
See nothin there

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350781904495.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350781904495.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 607
  • uploadfromtaptalk1350781915983.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350781915983.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 561

Zarboz

Known Scammer
Mar 5, 2009
Denver
This black wire is the antenna

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350782189317.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350782189317.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 551

jandari

May 3, 2011
Im interested what quality is the new black body. Can you post some pictures of the top, the usb port and the beats audio logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Welcome to my guide on how to transform your one S

from that ugly grey and blue to a nice clean black and red finish

Things covered in this guide:
    • Where to get parts to do conversion
    • what parts to get to do a proper conversion
    • The steps I took to do the conversion

WARNING: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU DAMAGING YOUR PHONE WHILE TRYING TO DO THIS MOD. ANYTHING YOU CHOOSE TO DO TO YOUR PHONE IS JUST THAT...A CHOICE.. SO REMEMBER YOUR CHOICE IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING IT'S NOT MY FAULT

I would like to preface this guide. When I bought my Tmobile One-S it was in hopes the One X+ would come to T-Mobile.. Since this is not happening I have decied to just do the full case conversion to the black and red edition with the hTC branded screen.

Where I started:
    • Found the parts I needed
    • Watched some youtube vids for taking the screen out of the unit
    • Had some experience working with small electronics / cell phone repair before

Things you will need for this project:
    • Torx T5 screwdriver
    • Small phillips Screwdriver
    • A plastic case pry tool (should be avail from the place that sells my parts)
    • Housing
    • Midframe < that part is KEY for not having to do HEAVY modification to the tmobile midframe
    • Camera ring (the red one)
    • speaker cover and Sim cover in black
    • Adhesive strips (SUPER IMPORTANT!!!!)

Where I got these parts:
    I use this site because when I worked at a cell phone repair shop this was our parts provider and the seller is a great one to work with and is local to the USA (fast shipping times)

Where to start:
    I first started by watching a few youtube videos on how to replace my screen so i could get a feel for how hard it would be to actually dissasemble the phone. I will post a detailed picture guide once i shrink the pics and highlight the needed steps in them (dont be scared to use a hairdryer to get the glass of your screen nice and warm to the touch this will make the adhesive easier to seperate and lowers the risk of breaking your glass)

I started by popping off the sim cover and removing the 2x torx screws at the top of the frame and setting them aside.

1000305f.jpg

then i ran a pry tool to loosen up the adhesive on the bottom plate and it unclipped from the bottom of the frame

1000307e.jpg

Then in the spot i had removed the bottom clip from i unscrewed the 2x phillips screws and set them aside. I then ran a pry tool around the casing between the grey and black to seperate the midframe from frame

1000308x.jpg

once seperated I flipped the midframe over and heated up the battery slightly and then used my pry tool to pull the batter off the adhesive

1000313g.jpg

Once that was done i then unscrewed the phillips screw to the top left of the battery and undid the ribbon connections for volume touch and lcd

1000314n.jpg

i then heated up the screen and proceeded to run the pry tool around the edge of the screen VERY SLOWLY while keeping some heet on it

1000315v.jpg

i set it aside

I then turned the frame to its side to remove the volume buttons i applied a small ammount of heat and used the pry tool to loosen the adhesive (WARNING) they didnt make this a sealed thing so be sure you actually get behind the volume buttons

1000316ug.jpg

I then moved down to where the "chin" was and used a VERY small flathead to pop it off and i tried to be gentle with it as much as possible

i then applied heat to the buttons at the bottom of the frame and used the pry tool to take them off their adhesive

1000318o.jpg

just so you know these are attached to the board at the bottom

1000319s.jpg

it took some wiggling but i got it through the slide hole for it..

i applied some heat to the board that had the vibrator on it and used the pry tool to take it off the frame

1000320e.jpg

then i put the soft keys on the new midframe

1000321iq.jpg

1000322k.jpg

then i put the volume buttson on and the lcd back on

1000330d.jpg

1000323y.jpg

the only problem i ran into is the blue plastic that covers the top of our board was approx 2mm too thick for the EU frame

so i had to hack it up pretty bad to get the cover to fit

1000334k.jpg

1000335v.jpg

i know shes dirty i got my hands all over while putting stuff back together

total time on project: 2 hours. Total invested by choice: 105$ ... had to buy my screen cuz i broke the old one: 168$

Enjoy guys and gals and Happy modding :D

-Zarboz
    Thread Cleaned

This has got way out of hand, lets keep discussion to the OP title, there is no need to make this personal. Now respect each other and keep on topic without bickering.​
    The official black HTC one s came out for T-mobile, won't be long until replacement housings end up on ebay
    http://www.etradesupply.com/htc-one-s-rear-housing-t-mobile.html

i think i found the black tmobile frame (just select black, there's 2 black ones in stock at the moment)
    http://www.etradesupply.com/htc-one-s-rear-housing-t-mobile.html

i think i found the black tmobile frame (just select black, there's 2 black ones in stock at the moment)

oh shizzle man, great find man.... I'm about to order one

Sent from my HTC One S using xda premium