Wi-Fi tethering - Amaze

Search This thread

cheaplikeafox

Feb 2, 2011
I tried this, and I am getting a "limited or no connectivity" message on my laptop. The signal, according to the laptop, is "excellent".

Same results using this method: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19830765&postcount=70

Loophole closed?

Just for S&G's, I fired up my HTC HD2 running CM7 on the SD card, enabled the hotspot, and I have internet connectivity on the laptop. The SSID is "AndroidAP".

Anyone else confirm that the loophole is closed? That's unfortunate...so then the HTC One S won't be able to go through the same loophole? Sometimes I got the same "limited or no connectivity" message on my laptop with my Defy. But then it was because someone was calling me at the same time I was tethering. Then it went back to normal.

Have you tried it again lately?

Thanks.

G

glacierguy

It depends on the ROM... Stock ROM doesn't appear to have free tethering (rooted or non) but most other ROMs allow free tethering as long as you change song :D

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Android Revolution HD

rasstar

Jun 23, 2008
It depends on the ROM... Stock ROM doesn't appear to have free tethering (rooted or non) but most other ROMs allow free tethering as long as you change song :D

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Android Revolution HD

I get WiFi tethering easily by changing the access point name. This was discussed a long time ago. I have not done any kind of modifications

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

G

glacierguy

I get WiFi tethering easily by changing the access point name. This was discussed a long time ago. I have not done any kind of modifications

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

I did that with stock rooted Rom and it didn't work for me actually... I also know it was discussed a long time ago. I've also done that on other roms and phones successfully. It wasn't working. It's not my first day at the forum

Sent from my HTC Amaze running Sense 3.5

G

glacierguy

Never mind. Idk what I did wrong, but I deleted my newly created GlacierWifi apn and made a new RubyWifi one and now it works... Both said epc.tmobile.com but whatever... It friggin works and I guess that's all that matters

Smh fml and thank you

Last edited:

a.benjamin76

Jun 5, 2011
tether

Just curious has anyone tried rooting their amaze, then installed the wired tether apk from the tytung hd2 builds? he has it as a separate download on his hd2 rom pages. thoughts?

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
Confirmed working just fine using the same method I used before ICS. Just delete everything out if the "apn type" field of the T-Mobile data apn. When you hit back to save there's no bullet next to it anymore which makes it look like its no longer active bit it is, and tethering works just fine =) took me all of two minutes to figure it out today. Also tested it on an unrooted Amaze running the update and it works just fine as well =)

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium

AndroidAutobot

Apr 5, 2009
Portland OR
Will this method work for the One S as well? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks

I dunno... Let me see...

...CONFIRMED working on the one S. Just create a new apn, named whatever you want, and make the apn field within the new access point elf.t-mobile.com.

This was verified with a one s I currently have access to. Here's a video for one's convenience -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_6OhVAar4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The screencast itself is done with my amaze but the steps are the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadJoe
G

glacierguy

Android Wifi Tether is now working on the Amaze! Thanks to the help of a few key individuals they got it working so far so good! Here is the link to the apk:

http://android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com/files/wifi_tether_v3_1-pre106.apk

It is still experimental, but it definatley works on mine. Make sure you choose Amaze in the device profile. Also you must enable "routing fix" as well.

For more info here is the link to the bug report that got it working:

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/issues/detail?id=1189&q=amaze

Was also posted 4 pages ago.

And its pointless. You don't need an app to tether. Would you download a speakerphone app when the built in speakerphone feature worked fine? :D

Sent from my HTC Ruby running Sense 3.6

cheaplikeafox

Feb 2, 2011
I dunno... Let me see...

...CONFIRMED working on the one S. Just create a new apn, named whatever you want, and make the apn field within the new access point elf.t-mobile.com.

This was verified with a one s I currently have access to. Here's a video for one's convenience -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml_6OhVAar4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

thanks for the confirmation!

IronSheik

Jun 23, 2007
SharkCity
Tethering & Mobile Hotspot: Settings>Mobile network>Access Point Names

just go into access point settings,. Reset default, then open up tmobile data, under "apn type" erase all (default,hipri,etc) and leave blank, save n it should work.
I get WiFi tethering easily by changing the access point name.

thx! doing both got it working for me on EnergyROM: ICS 4.0.3 Sense 3.6

evilmansin

Dec 24, 2007
Salt Lake City
New APN

It was roughly that amount. I do not have an exact figure. I was forced to add the service.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G using xda premium

I hit my 5GB "cap" throttling point 4 days into the bill cycle and they actually called me to make sure everything was ok, the guy had the nerve to ask me what I was doing as less than 1% of T-Mobile customers have done this. This was on 3G on with my Vibrant BTW, average of 5Mbps. Torrenting..

Creating a new APN worked for me without issue.

2093707282.png

S

Sanadrate

Working Flawlessly With no added APNS on Energy RoM w stock look

ramananow

Jul 17, 2012
is it necessary to root to use this method? and update?

I dunno... Let me see...

thank you for this thread: A Question...

**I have gone through this thread 3 times, as well as links. To clarify, does this method work on an unrooted phone?
and.. here it is, sept. 21, 2012...is it still working for folks?

rasstar

Jun 23, 2008
To get tethering all i did was create a new apn then the hotspot app worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a different working solution, on my Amaze 4g with ota update, just go into access point settings,. Reset default, then open up tmobile data, under "apn type" erase all (default,hipri,etc) and leave blank, save n it should work,. Has been so far since I got this phone,. (4 days) hope it helps u guys too.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA App
    I created a new apn on the htc one s. however it keeps automatically switching back to the default t-mobile data apn so i get the hotspot message. is it because of my signal?

thanks.

Since no one seems to want to be helpful anymore, I will answer. You have to either edit the original, or after you create the new one, erase the original. And to those complaining about asking in the wrong forum, the reason he asked here is caused a search probably led him here cause a couple pages back they were taking about whether this fix would work on a one s. Come on, be more helpful and less like forum nazis!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda app-developers app
    No need to ROOT to get tethering to work and stop getting redirected to the Mobile HotSpot page. All you have to do is delete all tethering APNs.
    after using Opera for about month i have the same problem again:crying::crying::crying:
    ready to give up
    Don't feel bad, Binary 130kb/s is my average. I live in a 2G area with a 4G area ten miles up the road.

130kb/s makes me feel terrible when I'm accustomed to averaging 15mb/s.
    Throttling down that much should be violation of the Eighth Amendment. :(