[GUIDE] [HOW-TO] Root Your Droid Incredible 2 VIA HTC Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
My other thread got screwed up. So, I just thought it would be easier to re-write it all over.

Some warnings:
-This is not a FULL unlock (S-OFF or to unlock your SIM card slot.)
-This WILL VOID your warranty.
-This will work with ANY version of HBOOT. Unless something has changed and I never update.........
-This is a how to for WINDOWS ONLY. Sorry Mac, Linux, and Unix. If someone knows how to do it VIA those ways, I'll add it in here.
-If you are logged out of HTC Dev at any time during the identifier period (1 - 5), just sign back in and don't click anything. It will automatically redirect you to the last page you were on.
-I am not responsible if you didn't follow a step correctly and your phone lights on fire, cracks into two, wants to destroy you, etc...

If you like to learn visually (like me) and would rather not go through my jumble of steps, check out this YouTube video. [link]

What you are going to need:
-A computer
-Fastboot and ADB [API] - [link] <-- These are applications I use to flash ROM's. They are in a .zip from me.
-HTC Drivers - [link] <-- Drivers HTC gives, couldn't find them on HTC's site.
-Android SDK - [link]
-microUSB cable, phone, and some time

STEPS TO ROOT: finally...

1.) You are going to want to head over to the HTC Dev[eloper] site ([link]) and make an account or sign in. Once you have done one of the two, you are going to want to click 'Unlock Bootloader,' then 'Get Started.' It will next ask you what device you are trying to unlock, click 'Droid Incredible 2 (Verizon)' then 'Begin Unlock Bootloader.' Then a pop up window will ask you if you are sure, just click 'Yes.' Then, another pop up window will appear, just tick the two boxes and press 'Proceed to Unlock Instructions.'

2.) Go to your phone. Take off the [back] battery door and remove the battery (don't hold the power button and make it a proper shut off, just rip the battery out. Then, put the battery back in. Once you have replaced the battery, hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time until a white screen shows up. You can use the volume rocker to highlight your selection, and the power button to select the highlighted selection. Right now, we want to highlight 'BOOTLOADER' and use the power button to select it. Next, grab your miniUSB cable and plug it into your computer to your phone.

3.) Next, make a folder on your computer in the C:\ Drive. In Windows Vista & 7, you can just go to Computer from the Start Menu and it will be labeled Local Disk (C:\). You can name the folder whatever you want, I am just going to name it Android. Next, you are going to want to download my ADB, Fastboot, and ADBAPI .zip file and place all three files into the Android folder. After you unzip the ADB/Fastboot folder, you are going to want to (if you have not already) download and install the Android SDK manager. You will need to install SDK tools [and I believe a version of Android?] After you have installed everything, you can go to the Start Menu again and type in 'cmd' in the search bar and press enter. Then type in the following: (Or you could take the easy way of going to your C:\ drive and shift-clicking the folder and press 'Open Command Window Here...)
Code:
cd C:\Android

4.) After you have got into Command Prompt and are in the \Android folder, type in the following:
Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
You will then see a great big brick of random characters. Right click in the bottom right-hand corner of '<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>' and click 'Mark...' Hold down the left-mouse-button and select the great brick of text up until '<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>' (don't highlight any of the 'INFO' things.) Then, right-click again and you will have the identifier token copied to your clipboard. Back on the HTC Dev site, it will ask you for your identifier; just paste the identifier in the box and it will send you an email with a .bin file (Unlock_code.bin) and just throw that into the folder with ADB and Fastboot.

5.) You are going to want to click the continue link that HTC Dev sent you as well to downloading the file. After you have finished downloading and put it in the folder, type in the following:
Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
Once you have done that and pressed Enter, your phone will change screens. It will ask you if you are SURE you want to do this. Just press the volume rocker up and press the power button. Your phone will reboot and take you back to Android. It's normal and it doesn't mean it failed... Your phone is fine and it should have went OK if you followed the steps. We are done with HTC Dev now, so you can close it.

6.) Next thing we are going to want to do is flash ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery onto your phone. You are going to want to download the .iso for CWMR and flash it to your phone (download link [link].) After you are done downloading the .iso, place it into your ADB and Fastboot folder. Once your phone has finished starting up, take the battery out again and put it back into HBOOT mode (step 2.) You are going to want to go back into FASTBOOT (step 2, again) and flash the recovery by doing the following:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery(press TAB)
Once you press enter and fastboot says it has completed, it will just have the Fastboot screen. Just highlight 'Bootloader' and press the power button. Next, to make sure it worked... Scroll down to 'Recovery' (which is right under Fastboot) and select it. The HTC screen should show and then CWMR should come to life.

7.) This is where the real magic happens. We are going to install SuperUser on to your phone now. Reboot your phone into regular Android. Now, you can plug it into the computer and make it a disk drive or pop out the miniSD card and put it into a converter. Now, you are going to want to download SuperUser ([link] - make sure your scroll down to the .zip dowload) and put it onto the miniSD (I recommend not putting it in any folders so it is easy to find.) Now, put your phone back into CWMR (step 6.) Now, use the volume rocker to scroll down to 'install .zip from sd card' and press the power button. Now, find the SuperUser.zip (or whatever it is named) and press the power button. The 'yes' to install it is in the middle of all the 'no' options, use the volume rocker to select 'yes' and press the power button. Wait for CWMR to finish, and in the meantime... Just stare at your phone. After you have finished installing SuperUser, restart your handset into Android. Once it has finished restarting, go into the app drawer and find the SuperUser app. Press the 'menu' button and tap 'Settings.' Scroll down to 'Su Binary x.x.xx' and tap it. On the bottom it will say 'Update Binary,' just tap that and it will do its 'magic.' Once SU has finished updating Binary, you have a rooted DINC2.

If you need any help, please let me know here, or on Twatter (@Rumor0922)

Last edited:

jegawhat

Oct 10, 2011
thanks for your guide - I'm needing to get something fresh on my wife's DI2...and I'm not as savvy with the HTCs as I am with my GNex.

The problem I have initially run into is the JDK - I have it installed....but whenever I try to install the Android SDK, the installer tells me that it does not recognize an installed JDK...

Also, I did notice that your Fastbook & ADB link is not active - is it obsolete now?

Thanks again, hopefully I can get this puppy running smoothly soon

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
thanks for your guide - I'm needing to get something fresh on my wife's DI2...and I'm not as savvy with the HTCs as I am with my GNex.

The problem I have initially run into is the JDK - I have it installed....but whenever I try to install the Android SDK, the installer tells me that it does not recognize an installed JDK...

Also, I did notice that your Fastbook & ADB link is not active - is it obsolete now?

Android SDK includes fastboot and adb, so it isn't necessary. Are you sure you have the JDK installed? What version? I know OpenJDK was giving me trouble so I had to switch to the official JDK.

Sent from my Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: EVoorhees

jegawhat

Oct 10, 2011
Android SDK includes fastboot and adb, so it isn't necessary. Are you sure you have the JDK installed? What version? I know OpenJDK was giving me trouble so I had to switch to the official JDK.

Yep, just tried to reinstall 7u7 from the oracle site....no dice with SDK. Weird. I'll try with another PC to see if my laptop just licks

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
I added the ADB and Fastboot link, I thought it was already added... So, that is my fault. And like prototype said, Android SDK also includes ADB and Fastboot. Hope the best to your wife and the phone. :D

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2012
getting error!

I added the ADB and Fastboot link, I thought it was already added... So, that is my fault. And like prototype said, Android SDK also includes ADB and Fastb7Aoot. Hope the best to your wife and the phone. :D

Hey guys im trying to root this phone with your instructions so I can use it for straight talk. Any who this error is popping up in cmd

<bootloader> [err] comand error !!!
OKAY [ 0.007s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

any help would be great and much appreciated!

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
Hey guys im trying to root this phone with your instructions so I can use it for straight talk. Any who this error is popping up in cmd

<bootloader> [err] comand error !!!
OKAY [ 0.007s]
finished. total time: 0.008s

any help would be great and much appreciated!

This isn't for a SIM CARD tray unlock. It's just to root you phone and get ROMS and SU apps on it. Look around for a SIM unlock.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using xda premium

JimHTP

Oct 21, 2012
6.) Next thing we are going to want to do is flash ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery onto yoour phone. You are going to want to download the .iso for CWMR and flash it to your phone (download link [link].) After you are done downloading the .iso place it into your ADB and Fastboot folder. Once your phone has finished starting up, take the battery out again and put it back into HBOOT mode (step 2.) You are going to want to go back into FASTBOOT (step 2, again) and flash the recovery by doing
the following:

In my download folder this shows up as an image file, is this right?

Does this mean that C: Android folder I created in the beginning of the guide? If not, where am I supposed to place it?

Does flashing it to my phone mean simply copy/pasting this cwm image file into the adb and fastboot folder?

Sorry guys I've been lurking for weeks. Successfully rooted my galaxy nexus and that was a breeze compared to this!

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
the following:

1.) In my download folder this shows up as an image file, is this right?

2.) Does this mean that C: Android folder I created in the beginning of the guide? If not, where am I supposed to place it?

3.) Does flashing it to my phone mean simply copy/pasting this cwm image file into the adb and fastboot folder?

Sorry guys I've been lurking for weeks. Successfully rooted my galaxy nexus and that was a breeze compared to this!

1.) Yes, an .iso file is a disk image.

2.) I personally like to place it in the C:\ Drive, but people put it where ever they want to.

3.) Yes, just put that in the folder with Fastboot and ADB[API.]

kdrumwork

Jun 24, 2012
Here this message its in spanish sorry

Sent from my E15a using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350955449994.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350955449994.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 295

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
Here this message its in spanish sorry

English equivalent: "fastboot" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

That's happening since you're still in the Administrator's directory - C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\.

You need to use the "cd" command to change to the directory where you downloaded fastboot. Then you'll be able to use that command.

Reactions: kdrumwork

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My other thread got screwed up. So, I just thought it would be easier to re-write it all over.

Some warnings:
    -This is not a FULL unlock (S-OFF or to unlock your SIM card slot.)
    -This WILL VOID your warranty.
    -This will work with ANY version of HBOOT. Unless something has changed and I never update.........
    -This is a how to for WINDOWS ONLY. Sorry Mac, Linux, and Unix. If someone knows how to do it VIA those ways, I'll add it in here.
    -If you are logged out of HTC Dev at any time during the identifier period (1 - 5), just sign back in and don't click anything. It will automatically redirect you to the last page you were on.
    -I am not responsible if you didn't follow a step correctly and your phone lights on fire, cracks into two, wants to destroy you, etc...

If you like to learn visually (like me) and would rather not go through my jumble of steps, check out this YouTube video. [link]

What you are going to need:
    -A computer
    -Fastboot and ADB [API] - [link] <-- These are applications I use to flash ROM's. They are in a .zip from me.
    -HTC Drivers - [link] <-- Drivers HTC gives, couldn't find them on HTC's site.
    -Android SDK - [link]
    -microUSB cable, phone, and some time

STEPS TO ROOT: finally...

1.) You are going to want to head over to the HTC Dev[eloper] site ([link]) and make an account or sign in. Once you have done one of the two, you are going to want to click 'Unlock Bootloader,' then 'Get Started.' It will next ask you what device you are trying to unlock, click 'Droid Incredible 2 (Verizon)' then 'Begin Unlock Bootloader.' Then a pop up window will ask you if you are sure, just click 'Yes.' Then, another pop up window will appear, just tick the two boxes and press 'Proceed to Unlock Instructions.'

2.) Go to your phone. Take off the [back] battery door and remove the battery (don't hold the power button and make it a proper shut off, just rip the battery out. Then, put the battery back in. Once you have replaced the battery, hold the volume down button and the power button at the same time until a white screen shows up. You can use the volume rocker to highlight your selection, and the power button to select the highlighted selection. Right now, we want to highlight 'BOOTLOADER' and use the power button to select it. Next, grab your miniUSB cable and plug it into your computer to your phone.

3.) Next, make a folder on your computer in the C:\ Drive. In Windows Vista & 7, you can just go to Computer from the Start Menu and it will be labeled Local Disk (C:\). You can name the folder whatever you want, I am just going to name it Android. Next, you are going to want to download my ADB, Fastboot, and ADBAPI .zip file and place all three files into the Android folder. After you unzip the ADB/Fastboot folder, you are going to want to (if you have not already) download and install the Android SDK manager. You will need to install SDK tools [and I believe a version of Android?] After you have installed everything, you can go to the Start Menu again and type in 'cmd' in the search bar and press enter. Then type in the following: (Or you could take the easy way of going to your C:\ drive and shift-clicking the folder and press 'Open Command Window Here...)
    Code:
    cd C:\Android

4.) After you have got into Command Prompt and are in the \Android folder, type in the following:
    Code:
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token
    You will then see a great big brick of random characters. Right click in the bottom right-hand corner of '<<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>' and click 'Mark...' Hold down the left-mouse-button and select the great brick of text up until '<<<< Identifier Token Start >>>>' (don't highlight any of the 'INFO' things.) Then, right-click again and you will have the identifier token copied to your clipboard. Back on the HTC Dev site, it will ask you for your identifier; just paste the identifier in the box and it will send you an email with a .bin file (Unlock_code.bin) and just throw that into the folder with ADB and Fastboot.

5.) You are going to want to click the continue link that HTC Dev sent you as well to downloading the file. After you have finished downloading and put it in the folder, type in the following:
    Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
    Once you have done that and pressed Enter, your phone will change screens. It will ask you if you are SURE you want to do this. Just press the volume rocker up and press the power button. Your phone will reboot and take you back to Android. It's normal and it doesn't mean it failed... Your phone is fine and it should have went OK if you followed the steps. We are done with HTC Dev now, so you can close it.

6.) Next thing we are going to want to do is flash ClockWorkMod (CWM) Recovery onto your phone. You are going to want to download the .iso for CWMR and flash it to your phone (download link [link].) After you are done downloading the .iso, place it into your ADB and Fastboot folder. Once your phone has finished starting up, take the battery out again and put it back into HBOOT mode (step 2.) You are going to want to go back into FASTBOOT (step 2, again) and flash the recovery by doing the following:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery(press TAB)
    Once you press enter and fastboot says it has completed, it will just have the Fastboot screen. Just highlight 'Bootloader' and press the power button. Next, to make sure it worked... Scroll down to 'Recovery' (which is right under Fastboot) and select it. The HTC screen should show and then CWMR should come to life.

7.) This is where the real magic happens. We are going to install SuperUser on to your phone now. Reboot your phone into regular Android. Now, you can plug it into the computer and make it a disk drive or pop out the miniSD card and put it into a converter. Now, you are going to want to download SuperUser ([link] - make sure your scroll down to the .zip dowload) and put it onto the miniSD (I recommend not putting it in any folders so it is easy to find.) Now, put your phone back into CWMR (step 6.) Now, use the volume rocker to scroll down to 'install .zip from sd card' and press the power button. Now, find the SuperUser.zip (or whatever it is named) and press the power button. The 'yes' to install it is in the middle of all the 'no' options, use the volume rocker to select 'yes' and press the power button. Wait for CWMR to finish, and in the meantime... Just stare at your phone. After you have finished installing SuperUser, restart your handset into Android. Once it has finished restarting, go into the app drawer and find the SuperUser app. Press the 'menu' button and tap 'Settings.' Scroll down to 'Su Binary x.x.xx' and tap it. On the bottom it will say 'Update Binary,' just tap that and it will do its 'magic.' Once SU has finished updating Binary, you have a rooted DINC2.

If you need any help, please let me know here, or on Twatter (@Rumor0922)
    Updated post. Finished the guide. Hope you guys enjoy. :D

how to de odex a rom
    is there an easy way
    thanks.

www.google.com

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2
    It shouldn't have to install. You have to use Fastboot VIA Command Prompt.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium