Working Gmail - KFHD 7"

Search This thread

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012
Sorry for the late response. I'm on 7.2.3. But for some reason it works fine. I'm thinking I have an older framework? That might be why?

I'm trying to find a topic on finding out the current version of the framework, as I know I need to update it, but can't find a playstore topic

Sent from my KF-HD7

I think the latest version that can be installed is GoogleServicesFramework_4.0.4-338691, that what I'm using anyway.

Which version have you got?

psych0phobia

Jul 29, 2011
Austin
Hello - just figured I'd throw this here to get it out in the world.

The Gmail notification crash bug is a bug in the Kindle's OS, not a Google bug. The problem is in the framework, android/text/style/TextAppearanceSpan.java:

Code:
    @Override
    public void updateDrawState(TextPaint ds) {
        updateMeasureState(ds);

if (mTextColor != null) {
            ds.setColor(mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0));
        }

if (mTextColorLink != null) {
            ds.linkColor = mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0);
        }
    }

Competent programmers should be able to spot the potential Null Pointer Exception in the above code. We are lucky that Gmail is the only app thus far that seems to hit the above code, as this really is a global OS problem.

Unfortunately, fixing this requires one of three things - a deodexed ROM that can patch the framework (like Kinology), an Amazon update to the OS with a correction, or a patched or older version of Gmail that doesn't call the method above.

Last edited:

Gilly10

Sep 22, 2012

The Gmail notification crash bug is a bug in the Kindle's OS, not a Google bug. The problem is in the framework, android/text/style/TextAppearanceSpan.java:

<SNIP>

Competent programmers should be able to spot the potential Null Pointer Exception in the above code. We are lucky that Gmail is the only app thus far that seems to hit the above code, as this really is a global OS problem.

Unfortunately, fixing this requires one of three things - a deodexed ROM that can patch the framework (like Kinology), an Amazon update to the OS with a correction, or a patched or older version of Gmail that doesn't call the method above.

Thanks for explaining it, thought it was a GoogleServicesFramework bug hence why I thought the newer version I located fixed the issue, back to using Gmail 4.0.5 now as that's the latest fully working version on the KFHD, it does it's job, hope Amazon can fix it but I wouldn't hold your breath just yet but again they may surprise us.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
        @Override
        public void updateDrawState(TextPaint ds) {
            updateMeasureState(ds);

if (mTextColor != null) {
                ds.setColor(mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0));
            }

if (mTextColorLink != null) {
                ds.linkColor = mTextColor.getColorForState(ds.drawableState, 0);
            }
        }

The same thing happened like before I installed the 2 Google framework packages. Doesn't even launch.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk HD

Hmm... Dunno what's happening then, have you looked at this? - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1895040

That's what I followed when I first got my KFHD & got many of the Google Apps running.