Battery Stats Thread

Search This thread

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
They are pretty decent, they could be better, but as usual I had stray of the path and test the GPS and other stuff.

Speaking of GPS its pretty damn good! I get 7-9 fixes inside my livingroom surrounded by concrete walls and some windows.

20120422122358.png

20120422122409.png

Battery on this thing is good but I really pray HTC does releases future firmwares that improve the battery anyways.

Cheers

Nice. Out of that 2h 33m screen time how much was it actually sufing internet on 3G?

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
Nice. Out of that 2h 33m screen time how much was it actually sufing internet on 3G?

Well I left 3G/Mobile data on the entire time so stuff like skype were running and viber as well.

Actual surfing time I honestly dont know since the use was sporadical I would say maybe 1 hour? maybe 50 min? I am not sure but quite alot anyways.
Unfortunately it doesnt show something like 'Surfing 3G' so again no clue, but next time I do another more proper 3G test ill measure the surfing time myself.

Cheers!

Last edited:

rasalghoul

Apr 22, 2012
Stavanger
Well I left 3G/Mobile data on the entire time so stuff like skype were running and viber as well.

Actual surfing time I honestly dont know since the use was sporadical I would say maybe 1 hour? maybe 50 min? I am not sure but quite alot anyways.
Unfortunately it doesnt show something like 'Surfing 3G' so again no clue, but next time I do another more proper 3G test ill measure the surfing time myself.

Cheers!

I'm having a similar experience as you johnny. I've made it 2 full days with medium usage and have a few screen shots of 20+ hours where I used mainly wi-fi but surfed and played with the phone quite often. I feel bad for people having issues but I have seen numerous phones that just needed a reboot to fix the problem. :confused:

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
Just wanna share some info of an 'experiment' I am currently trying out.

My phone is rooted but running stock, and I have SetCPU and set it on Min 51 MHz and Max 1000 MHz from a fully charged battery, just curious to see if it will make any difference at all.

I noticed when I had SetCPU installed but not 'running' when I went in to the Info - Time in State and I noticed that 1.4Ghz and 1.2 Ghz was used ALOT according to the graph, and I have NOT played any games at all, just surfed,played movies, listened to music but nothing that requires 1.4GHz ,1.5GHz power.

We will see if it makes any difference as I said :)

Cheers!

Will post the images when the batteries run out.

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
The S4 based One XL smokes the Teg3 based One X. Not surpising considering S4 is 28nm and a much more modern and efficient design. And this guys only on his second charging cycle so it'll get better.

attachment.php
attachment.php

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
The S4 based One XL smokes the Teg3 based One X. Not surpising considering S4 is 28nm and a much more modern and efficient design. And this guys only on his second charging cycle so it'll get better.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I wouldn't say the XL smoked the international version. Its only better under heavy usage. The international version is still better under standby. If you are light user the tegra3 version will end up much better because of power saving companion core.

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
I wouldn't say the XL smoked the international version. Its only better under heavy usage. The international version is still better under standby. If you are light user the tegra3 version will end up much better because of power saving companion core.

Not to be a smartass, but if I didn't use my phone I wouldn't need a quad-core, ICS-based, 4.7" SLCD2 smartphone would I? Owning the title of "best battery life when not used" isn't really a big win. I'm sure like most people I just want a full days use out of it (12-15 hours) without having to ration how much I use the display. Don't misunderstand, I'm not *****ing. I'm fine with what I'm getting. But let's be honest, for people that consider battery life a hot button (and use their phones) the S4 chipped One XL seems to be a better choice.

The big caveat being that both phones are being used over HSPA. Turn on LTE and you'll be able to watch the battery on the One XL drain in real time. At least that's the way it has been with other LTE phones.

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
LOL at this, one they have figured out how to implement power saver function so you can for instance to temporarily (Similar to what we have on our Asus Primes) disable 2 cores when we do not need all four of them running at the same time then your S4 wont even come close to the Tegra version.

This is apart from the fact that I've seen here on this thread people getting 4 to 6 screen time.

I myself hit 4.30 not very long ago.

Bye bye dual core Hello Quad-Core yeeeHAAA! :)

Last edited:

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
Not to be a smartass, but if I didn't use my phone I wouldn't need a quad-core, ICS-based, 4.7" SLCD2 smartphone would I? Owning the title of "best battery life when not used" isn't really a big win. I'm sure like most people I just want a full days use out of it (12-15 hours) without having to ration how much I use the display. Don't misunderstand, I'm not *****ing. I'm fine with what I'm getting. But let's be honest, for people that consider battery life a hot button (and use their phones) the S4 chipped One XL seems to be a better choice.

The big caveat being that both phones are being used over HSPA. Turn on LTE and you'll be able to watch the battery on the One XL drain in real time. At least that's the way it has been with other LTE phones.

Fair enough. But it depends alot on usage pattern between each individual. Heavy user will be more comfortable with the xl no doubt.

LTE drain on the new qualcomm chip is still a big unknown at the moment. Alot depends on the actual throughput. The radio eats up more current than hspa but also finishes loading a web page much faster and switches to standby. So in practice when using a lightly loaded lte network compared to a congested hspa network, it may end up being better.

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
I think the best thing we can do guys are the following

See what bugs and issues got fixed on the Asus Prime via OTA

See on Average if HTC have fixed bugs with their older phones that had the same problem the One X is having, such as screen flicker, camera and video performance etc.

Then at least we can have hope if the Asus Prime had similar problems or some older HTC phones did.

and if the bugs and issues that got fixed on these devices, and were similar to HTC One X bugs and issues, we can hope :)

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
Fair enough. But it depends alot on usage pattern between each individual. Heavy user will be more comfortable with the xl no doubt.

LTE drain on the new qualcomm chip is still a big unknown at the moment. Alot depends on the actual throughput. The radio eats up more current than hspa but also finishes loading a web page much faster and switches to standby. So in practice when using a lightly loaded lte network compared to a congested hspa network, it may end up being better.

I find his battery comment extremely amusing and would love to hear more in the future ;)

I'm getting a new revision HTC One X soon after I have sent this one in and then ill go to town with the battery and see if there will be any difference :)

Cheers

Last edited:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
LOL at this, one they have figured out how to implement power saver function so you can for instance to temporarily (Similar to what we have on our Asus Primes) disable 2 cores when we do not need all four of them running at the same time then your S4 wont even come close to the Tegra version.

This is apart from the fact that I've seen here on this thread people getting 4 to 6 screen time.

Here's what Anand said about S4 battery life.

"The bigger question is about power efficiency, and this is the one not as easily answered based on what we know today. Qualcomm gains a lot by being on a 28nm LP process, however it also has more power hungry cores on that process. Device level power efficiency for a given workload may truly improve as a result of having faster cores on a lower power process (race to sleep, lower power idle). Generally speaking however, single threaded performance often comes at the expense of core level power efficiency. That's the reason it's taken this long for a 3-wide out-of-order core to make it into a smartphone. Will Moore's Law, and the 28nm LP process in particular, be enough to offset the power consumption of a higher performance Krait core under full load? Depending on how conservative device makers choose to build their power profiles we may get varying answers to this question."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5563/qualcomms-snapdragon-s4-krait-vs-nvidias-tegra-3/3

Long story short, his concern was the need to sacrifice performance under demand in order to get sufficient energy saving at idle. We know it benchmarks similarly so it's sufficiently powerful. If it can do 5+ hours display time with 16 hours to a charge I'd say they achieved the balance Anand was questioning. Think of the S4 as the new V8 Bi-Turbo in the BMW M5 vs. the Teg3 being the old V10. They perform similarly but the newer design is more efficient. And you can’t just go by display on time, you have to factor in total time available per charge if you’re trying to do a fair comparison.

I'm not putting down our phone, just trying to be objective.

mesasone

Jul 14, 2010
Eastern Iowa

So your solution is to turn your quadcore into a dualcore and then hope it gets significantly better battery life? Instead of just having a (theoretically) more efficient dual core design to begin with? :rolleyes:

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
So your solution is to turn your quadcore into a dualcore and then hope it gets significantly better battery life? Instead of just having a (theoretically) more efficient dual core design to begin with? :rolleyes:

I think what he's describing is the stepping that supposed to occur in Teg3. It should be able to run low-demand apps via the LP core then, as demand increases, fire up the next two cores, and, if necessary the last two. But from some of the deep analysis done on the Prime, it's LP or both dual cores - all or nothing. Why? I have no idea. The One X is only the second Western device to use Teg3. It's been incredibly funky on the Prime and it appears to be the same way on the One X. The Prime's still running a GB kernel and I'm guessing the One X is too. Nvidia has to do the work to move to an ICS kernel. Maybe that will make Teg3 more efficient. The Acer A510's shipping so it'll be interesting to see what they experience.

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
Here's what Anand said about S4 battery life.

"The bigger question is about power efficiency, and this is the one not as easily answered based on what we know today. Qualcomm gains a lot by being on a 28nm LP process, however it also has more power hungry cores on that process. Device level power efficiency for a given workload may truly improve as a result of having faster cores on a lower power process (race to sleep, lower power idle). Generally speaking however, single threaded performance often comes at the expense of core level power efficiency. That's the reason it's taken this long for a 3-wide out-of-order core to make it into a smartphone. Will Moore's Law, and the 28nm LP process in particular, be enough to offset the power consumption of a higher performance Krait core under full load? Depending on how conservative device makers choose to build their power profiles we may get varying answers to this question."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5563/qualcomms-snapdragon-s4-krait-vs-nvidias-tegra-3/3
(
Long story short, his concern was the need to sacrifice performance under demand in order to get sufficient energy saving at idle. We know it benchmarks similarly so it's sufficiently powerful. If it can do 5+ hours display time with 16 hours to a charge I'd say they achieved t he balance Anand was questioning. Think of the S4 as the new V8 Bi-Turbo in the BMW M5 vs. the Teg3 being the old V10. They perform similarly but the newer design is more efficient. And you can’t just go by display on time, you have to factor in total time available per charge if you’re trying to do a fair comparison.

I'm not putting down our phone, just trying to be objective.

Good info

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010

Everyone is saying going to a quadcore saves improves battery life by spreading out the load to each core. So going to dual core on the tegra3 will likely make it worse? I think what makes the snapdragon s4 so efficient is the asmp design and lp 28mm process. Its simply a more elegant solution compared to the band aid companion core method on the T3.

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011

Well yes and No like the fellow above wrote, I wish we had control over the power or cores, simular to the option we have on the Prime yes, for instance power saver (which I never use) doesn't allow you to play Glowball so I guess it disables or restricts the CPU usage and allowing the user to at least have the option and save battery.

I never felt much difference between Performance mode and balanced mode but you can OC if u are rooted.

I am changing my Prime to the infinity so no more plans to root :)

Another function that it has is to disable Super IPS+ doesnt the One X have super IPS+?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Johnny0906

May 30, 2011
This is my stats after my fifth charge (I used SetCPU to limit the frequency to 1000MHz but im not sure if it made any difference.

20120423111826.png

20120423111830.png

Still pretty OK but it seems the Set CPU frequency thing didnt do much.

Cheers

dannysmith43

Apr 5, 2011

attachment.php
attachment.php

That kind of screen time makes my mouth water.

No matter how you look at it, 5.5 hours of that 4.7" display is very impressive. I cant manage about 2.5 hours in the same amount of time (16h) - I know others with T3 have got alot more. I read alot about the S4 before purchasing - it seem's to be living up to the hype. In fairness I wasn't fussed about at quad core phone, dual core would of made me happy but I fell in love with the One X screen, I don't really like AMOLED so the One S was out (plus only 16GB int mem) and no XL in the UK.

I'm hoping there is something that can improve the battery stats, I can live with it as it is but I feel like I'm constantly battery watching...it's exhausting. I was sold on the companion core which I'm not particularly impressed with as it stands, it doesn't standby aswell as I'd hoped.

Installed "On Screen Off" to try and help me fight the good fight! Just setup day and night profiles so between midnight & 7am it goes in airplane mode and during the day it switches on and off mobile data & wifi (1 minute on, 3 minutes off) when the screen is off....fingers crossed!

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
This is my stats after my fifth charge (I used SetCPU to limit the frequency to 1000MHz but im not sure if it made any difference.

20120423111826.png

20120423111830.png

Still pretty OK but it seems the Set CPU frequency thing didnt do much.

Cheers

Thats pretty decent for the one x. What are the main apps you use during that screen time? please post usage details as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Serves no realistic use, but purely out of curiosity I tested the standby time lol. 282ish hours

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
    Wow, not to troll or anything but the screen on time for the one X is BAD!
    Compared to my SGS2 that gets 4~5 hours screen time with normal use (50% brightness) and 6~7 hours of browsing (20% brightness).

Think HTC messed up with the small battery of these phones. Should have sacrificed a little bit of thickness for a bigger battery

Great news, fantastic news!

Now if you wouldn't mind, there are some very happy HOX owners here, that care not a tinkers cuss for the screen time of a Samsung phone, or what a Samsung owner thinks HTC "should have done", so do run along.
    These are my stats from first day...not bad given how much I'm played with it
    51ae99c2-3ca4-a8e9.jpg
    51ae99c2-3caf-45b7.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    This is a stat I achieved the other day (lowest brightness, WiFi connected & I barely actually touched it) but in real world normal use I get about 3 hours of screen on in auto mode.

Like I said, without detailed usage some of these stats being quoted are utterly meaningless.
    why r u here, troll.

There, fixed that for you.