[Q] Rooting and security issues:

Search This thread

N0o8

Mar 2, 2014
As a phone noob who is interested in rooting my GT-i9305T, it came to my attention that i trade stocks frequently from my phone and also bank online from my phone.

Does rooting present any security risk to these activities?

I have both read and heard that rooting a phone takes away security measures (whatever that means?). If this is true, how much do i need to know in order to make my phone secure while performing these activities?

Is it a serious risk to root the phone, download after-market apps and at the same time access private financial information??

I have heard the saying that an operating system is as safe as the person using it. I guess this goes for android phones as well, but how much do i need to know exactly?

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
Root gives apps access to the system file structure, what they do to the system depends on the app. It doesn't do anything more than that.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

N0o8

Mar 2, 2014
In short if you don't know what root is, it's likely you don't need it.
If you give Apps root they got full access to your system, which means they could harm other apps or your whole system as well.
Take a look at this one: [REF] Understanding the basics before rooting your S3

Much appreciated, i'll do more reading.

I just never thought of any implications rooting may have when i trade stocks or bank on my phone, until recently.

So, if i don't install any root apps, my phone is no less secure when using it for personal finance? Does rooting make the phone more 'hackable' ?

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You still don't get it, if you root then apps can access your system files -if you don't then they can't.

Rooting will increase the risk of hacking.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk