[Q] Is it possible to flash CM11 over Omni 4.4 without loosing apps?

Search This thread

cauch_y

Nov 6, 2013
Hi!

I was trying to find such information but with no luck.
What is my goal? The most painless migration from Omni to CM11 (or revert).
I'm wondering is it possible to preserve apps and their settings but change the whole ROM or is there any other way to move apps and their settings from one ROM to another (I know about Ti backup and other apps like this but anyone tested this solution?) I don't care much about ROM settings but apps are important for me.

This I9100 is my only phone so I can't stuck with "blank" phone.

Thanks in advance!

themajc

May 9, 2014
Answer: Yes and No
You can use Ti backup, then format sys&data, install CM, then Ti restore.
I've done this before when going from ClearRom to Omni.
HOWEVER, this is still quite annoying since some settings and data may likely not be properly backup/restored.

Question:
How can we install CM11 over on top of Omni, without the extra (and error-prone) steps of backup and restore data?

I was just about to ask the same question, then xda found your post for me.
I have a Note 2 ATT, and recent updates of the Omni became power hungry and eats up battery faster than ever before, plus, each time the Omni updates, I lose Gapp and SU. Often it gives me a hard time to get SU back.
So I want to switch to the newly published CM11.

I've spent the past couple hours doing this.
First I tried just format 'system' then install CM11, it boots, but gives me infinite loop on "cyongen account has stopped".
Then I formatted 'system' and 'data', CM11 boots without error. I restored 'data' from recovery, the error loop is back on.
(devik and cache have been deleted each time)

So... is there any way of doing this w/o needing Ti backup/restore?

cauch_y

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks a lot for your answer! I was afraid it's not possible :(
My only hope is that I don't need ROM settings but only apps so maybe it's possible with Ti.
Do you have pro version of Ti backup or is it possible to backup anything usefull with free version.

EDIT:
I'm using "update" script from SU setings to keep it installed over updates and I use PA gapps which also stay after every update

Last edited:

themajc

May 9, 2014
EDIT:
I'm using "update" script from SU setings to keep it installed over updates and I use PA gapps which also stay after every update

I'm also using the same configuration. But none of them work the way for me as you described.. each update would mess SU up.

As of Ti, I have the paid version, but I'm not sure if you need it to do the same..