N4 vs Moto G

Search This thread

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
Hello guys,

I'm on the verge of buying a new smartphone after being into Windows Phone for too long.
I have a N7 2013 tablet which I've been using to play around with different Custom Roms and Kernels but now it's time to ditch my low end Windows Phone smartphone and go for a medium range Android device to play around with.

The two options at the moment are: Moto G new or an used but mint condition Nexus 4 still under warranty (for another year atleast). The price tag is almost similar 170€ (MotoG) vs 200€ (N4).

Now I know the proc on the MotoG is newer and slightly faster but the N4 sports a bigger screen and more Ram which to be honest, is the decising factor here. However, since I haven't owned any of these two devices I'd like to know if the N4 is still a safe pick, and if there are any issues I should be aware of.

Thanks!

Shubhamqweasd

Jun 25, 2011
DELHI
hey , first of all get your facts right .:D
N4 proc and GPU is way way faster than Moto G's proc and GPU ..

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-(APQ8064)-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-400

secondly they both share IPS grade screens , but moto g has an advantage of gorilla glass 3 , ...

thirdly , n4 has one of the best developer community , way better than moto g ..

if u are confused between n4 and moto g , definitely go for the n4 .. its better in every possible aspect :D

but i would suggest waiting for some newer devices from google they might not be very far from launch :D

machoman1337

Aug 2, 2012
Greater Detroit Area
N4 all the way. The Moto G is inferior in every technical aspect (it's still a good phone but if you have the $$$ get something better!). The only physical advantage of the Moto G over the N4 is that the back cover is removable so you can easily swap sim cards without having to use a PIN, if that matters to you.

I have an N5 waiting for me (relative ordered in the states, bringing it when she visits) but I will definitely keep my N4 as a backup rather than sell it like I did with previous phones. The N4 is a great phone and just too good to waste.

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
Another good thing about Moto G is that is more comfortable at the hand that N4 will be. But overall N4 all the way, for being a AOSP device its simple to custom roms, kernels and everything

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

chiewable

Sep 2, 2010
I would try and get a used moto x instead of the nexus

Moto x
Nexus 4
Moto g

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
First of all thanks for the feedback.

I will probably go for the Nexus 4 since my budget is this low and the market here is overpriced compared to most places. Infact even the new market is.

The deal also includes a couple of cases, screen protectors and a bumper so it's the best choice.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Mar 8, 2014
Dresden
when i have a N4 i found the moto g better (Battery+Wireless Charging with mod+only 21Mbit)
and when i have a Moto g i found the N4 better(Dev,Gpu,Display,Glass+Wireless Charging,NFC,42Mbit Download) :p

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNerd:]

fortunz

Apr 19, 2009
inside

I will probably go for the Nexus 4

Probably not a bad call. One yet unmentioned difference is Nexus 4 has NFC, moto g doesn't. I used to couldn't care less about that. But since I found out about Dimple (programmable, batteryless, custom placed NFC buttons), NFC actually matters to me. A lot of folks here dig the sleek buttonlessness of N4 and stuff like it, but I mostly got the phone because it was cheap at the time. I miss buttons a lot, especially for page turning in ebooks.

You never know when that tiny bit of extra functionality will turn out to be awesome. Enjoy your new phone :good:

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
Yeah, NFC tags at work and home are nice too. Once you start using it its hard to stop

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Moto G has much better battery backup than N4.
^^^ This especially... Deciding between the two is actually tough, my son has the Moto G 16GB GPE edition and I have the Nexus 4 16GB.

I am similar to a previous user... I am mixed and go back and forth between which I prefer. Which is better for you depends on your usage

Moto G gives you incredible battery life (5-7 hours screen time, double the N4), it's waterproof (I can't believe no one mentioned this), Gorilla Glass 3

Nexus 4 has both a faster processor and GPU, has a larger display although I don't find it superior other than size, and has NFC and wireless charging (neither of which I use).

To be honest, although the 21Mbps vs 42Mbps thing is real, in real life it makes little difference in use, same with the processor... the N4 is faster but the G is more efficient, I have noticed little difference in performance between the two.

The Nexus 4 has a tremendous development community with more options and help than you can imagine, and although the Moto G has a decent community with most major ROMs supported, it is definitely not the Nexus 4 in that regard but if it's your thing you won't be bored either.

Honestly, no mater your choice you will get a good phone that will likely last a decent amount of time.

Clem29

Sep 26, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 8
I remember you that the Moto G has a louder Speaker than the Nexus 4.
The moto G also support USB OTG, without any special Y cable or similiar things.
By the way I'm proud to own a Nexus 4.

Erroneus

Dec 29, 2008
Nyborg
www.innews.dk
I own both.

Nexus 4 is a better phone, BUT the Moto G comes damn close. Considering the low price of Moto G, I'll say it's a better bargain, even the more expensive 4G version, which adds support for LTE, which is something Nexus 4 doesn't have. But off course, it depends on the prices of the phones, in the area you live.

username4this

Dec 22, 2013
Porto
Hey guys!

The phone is home and it's the Nexus 4 16GB in super mint condition, with a ****load of screen protectors, bumbers and good cases, you name it.
It came with tempered glass screen protector at the front and a standard screen protector at the back.
Also, LTE isn't a big thing for me. Between Univ and my place I get alot of hotspots through Fon (https://corp.fon.com/pt/microsite/nos) so not a big deal.
Everywhere I go without Internet, I bring my mobile broadband pen and a sharing dock to get wireless.

The Moto G also arrived yesterday from Amazon and it really surprised me. The stock Android with some of Motorola subtle changes really make it a good phone hardware and software wise.

The problem here in Portugal is the used market is too damn retarded. People sell phones at prices that don't make sense. You see low end mobiles being sold at the price of gold. 200€ for a N4 is like a bargain compared to the prices asked for phones like Samsung SII which goes for 150 to 200€ here. Higher end phones never go for less than 300€ and most even locked to networks. A used N5 here would go for over 350€ eventhough the Playstore in Portugal has it at 349€. Yes, people are this retarded because all they care is how much they payed for the phone when they bought it and not the current new prices and the current options. How can you sell a crap phone at 150€ if for 170€ I can get a Moto G. Xiaomi's and other decent Quad cores from Amazon? Well...

Never the less, I'm happy with my choice.

Next step = Unlock Bootloader, Root and get some action going.

sn6v.jpg

h1bje.jpg

6piwv.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!

The phone is home and it's the Nexus 4 16GB in super mint condition, with a ****load of screen protectors, bumbers and good cases, you name it.
    It came with tempered glass screen protector at the front and a standard screen protector at the back.
    Also, LTE isn't a big thing for me. Between Univ and my place I get alot of hotspots through Fon (https://corp.fon.com/pt/microsite/nos) so not a big deal.
    Everywhere I go without Internet, I bring my mobile broadband pen and a sharing dock to get wireless.

The Moto G also arrived yesterday from Amazon and it really surprised me. The stock Android with some of Motorola subtle changes really make it a good phone hardware and software wise.

The problem here in Portugal is the used market is too damn retarded. People sell phones at prices that don't make sense. You see low end mobiles being sold at the price of gold. 200€ for a N4 is like a bargain compared to the prices asked for phones like Samsung SII which goes for 150 to 200€ here. Higher end phones never go for less than 300€ and most even locked to networks. A used N5 here would go for over 350€ eventhough the Playstore in Portugal has it at 349€. Yes, people are this retarded because all they care is how much they payed for the phone when they bought it and not the current new prices and the current options. How can you sell a crap phone at 150€ if for 170€ I can get a Moto G. Xiaomi's and other decent Quad cores from Amazon? Well...

Never the less, I'm happy with my choice.

Next step = Unlock Bootloader, Root and get some action going.

sn6v.jpg

h1bje.jpg

6piwv.jpg

I will probably go for the Nexus 4 since my budget is this low and the market here is overpriced compared to most places. Infact even the new market is.

The deal also includes a couple of cases, screen protectors and a bumper so it's the best choice.

Thanks all for the feedback.
    hey , first of all get your facts right .:D
    N4 proc and GPU is way way faster than Moto G's proc and GPU ..

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Pro-(APQ8064)-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-400

secondly they both share IPS grade screens , but moto g has an advantage of gorilla glass 3 , ...

thirdly , n4 has one of the best developer community , way better than moto g ..

if u are confused between n4 and moto g , definitely go for the n4 .. its better in every possible aspect :D

but i would suggest waiting for some newer devices from google they might not be very far from launch :D
    I have both, the Nexus is faster, bigger screen, better camera, better build quality and has superior development support.
    It's a obvious choice for me. ☺
    when i have a N4 i found the moto g better (Battery+Wireless Charging with mod+only 21Mbit)
    and when i have a Moto g i found the N4 better(Dev,Gpu,Display,Glass+Wireless Charging,NFC,42Mbit Download) :p