Just got my livedock :)

Search This thread

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
Well, I ordered my livedock off eBay on Sunday and it arrived this morning, I'm happy to report they do just what they said it would.. I can now charge my neo at the same time as using usb devices! HDMI out to the tv, usb Wifi mouse/keyboard combo and usb thumb drive all at the same time. (with usb hub attached)

The neo sits in the dock very nicely, and is at a nice viewing angle.

As an extra unexpected bonus it also enables landscape mode on the home screen when it's plugged in.. I hadn't worked out how to do that on stock home launcher yet. So navigating with mouse is really easy, doing that with OTG cable was a pain because it wouldn't switch to landscape.. (probably a build.prop edit that enables landscape mode but havn't played with that yet)

Well worth the 29 euro for the livedock :)

Kiwi

Sent from my MT15i using xda premium

Reactions: adridu59

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
Yea, I even considered getting a BT keyboard but with Android total lack of BT support I thought this was a cheaper option.
at least I can connect thumb drives too and still charge.. than again, Wifi could solve that issue too.. meh... I like the dock and very happy with the way it just works. (now just have to find myself a cheap USB gamepad to try) :p

Chris

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
o.k.. a couple of pictures.

some with my case on some without. moved the dock into the kitchen for better light so its not plugged into power or USB OTG.. but you get the idea.

Kiwi

Attachments

• P1080674.jpg
    P1080674.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 857
  • P1080676.jpg
    P1080676.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 793
  • P1080678.jpg
    P1080678.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 690
  • P1080679.jpg
    P1080679.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 726

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
Forgot to mention it comes with a 550ma power supply too with a micro usb connection.. Can Never have too many chargers ;-)

vaalpens

Jun 15, 2006
awesome, been itching to order mine, you mentioned thumbdrive in the first post ?
does that work on stock firmware?

regards
vaalpens

mikekop

Dec 5, 2010
So, IIRC, the livedock supported HDMI through USB, so that phones without HDMI-out, such as Ray, could be used. Is this true? Can you connect your tv with HDMI from the livedock itself, or do you have to use the HDMI-out on the phone?
Thanks!

Sent from my MT15i using XDA App

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
No hdmi support on livedock.. You have to plug a hdmi cable into the hdmi port on the phone..

USB thumb drives work with stock firmware but you have to install arc usb storage manager from market to enable thumb drive support on the neo.

And @ HilfordJames.. You'll get yours end of Feb when I get back to nz :p

Kiwi

Last edited:

Croog

Jan 20, 2012
Are you using actively powered USB hub in connection with livedock? Are you tryied to open it and look inside? :) I am just curious if the USB on livedock is powered only from the phone so it is really the same as USB OTG cable connected directly to phone, or there is some circuit to power it from charger if available.

I am considering to buy this gadget also, but i hope somebody add support of Bluetooth HID to the stock rom sooner, so i will not need live dock as i already have bluetooth keyboard and mouse.. Tryied to install CM7.1 because of that, but then I quickly return to the stock rom, on CM even HDMI didn't work.

Also let us know which games you will find easy to control via connected gamepad. :)

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
Havn't got my gamepad yet so can't comment on that.. Using unpowered usb hub works fine but havn't tried a powered one yet.. I'm sure it will work though.
As far as supplying power from dock for OTG, I can confirm this works, I can use the OTG usb port on the dock to charge other devices while the phone is unplugged from the dock, so power is being supplied straight to the OTG port from the live docks power supply :)
I've pulled the dock apart and will try to get a photo of the intricate circuit board in there, it's more than just a few cables.. And looks like an empty area for another plug or lead to solder onto.. Will try to work out what this is for too ;)

Kiwi

kiwiBratwurst

Nov 1, 2010
Berlin
here is a picture of the board inside the livedock..
looking at the board the micro USB only supplies power so if you power the dock off a computer (Through the docks micro usb port) it won't connect the phone to the computer for file sharing etc only charging.. not really that important but still good to know.
I attacked it with an old multimeter but its pretty primative.. I'll have to wait till I get back to NZ next month and my own test tools to figure out what the empty J12 connector is for.. (might just be a leftover test port) but if its possible to add extra usb ports it would save using a hub.. we'll see :) anyway.. enjoy the pic..

Kiwi

Attachments

• dock.JPG
    dock.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Reactions: Croog

joachim1

Sep 25, 2011
If this has landscape homescreen, we should be able to enable it in someway without the dock? Any developer who could figure out how to do that?
And if you make a call, is the "in call" screen also in landscape mode?

koassim

May 1, 2008
looking at the board the micro USB only supplies power so if you power the dock off a computer (Through the docks micro usb port) it won't connect the phone to the computer for file sharing etc only charging.. not really that important but still good to know.
I attacked it with an old multimeter but its pretty primative.. I'll have to wait till I get back to NZ next month and my own test tools to figure out what the empty J12 connector is for.. (might just be a leftover test port) but if its possible to add extra usb ports it would save using a hub.. we'll see :) anyway.. enjoy the pic..

Kiwi

12-pin JTAG connector for that MCU ???:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    o.k.. a couple of pictures.

some with my case on some without. moved the dock into the kitchen for better light so its not plugged into power or USB OTG.. but you get the idea.

Kiwi
    Well, I ordered my livedock off eBay on Sunday and it arrived this morning, I'm happy to report they do just what they said it would.. I can now charge my neo at the same time as using usb devices! HDMI out to the tv, usb Wifi mouse/keyboard combo and usb thumb drive all at the same time. (with usb hub attached)

The neo sits in the dock very nicely, and is at a nice viewing angle.

As an extra unexpected bonus it also enables landscape mode on the home screen when it's plugged in.. I hadn't worked out how to do that on stock home launcher yet. So navigating with mouse is really easy, doing that with OTG cable was a pain because it wouldn't switch to landscape.. (probably a build.prop edit that enables landscape mode but havn't played with that yet)

Well worth the 29 euro for the livedock :)

Kiwi

Kiwi
    I juz got one too. However, if I connect the phone to livedock and switch off the mains when I sleep, when I wake up, the fully charged phone is @ 30%!!! omg!!!

Remember not to off the mains or disconnect it from the dock when not using. It's a battery drainer!!!