[Q] Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)

So Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)?

• HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint)

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

jorgekikon

Feb 6, 2009
Miami
Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)

Hi everybody, my Sprint contract is due to end in a couple days and I'm just wondering which of these two great phone I should get. For my needs they are basically the same, the aspect that matters the most to me is developer support. I happen to own an EVO 4G right now and had awesome dev support with it, just hoping to have the same luck with the next phone.

Anyway for those of you who don't know the specs here they are....

EVO 4G LTE(sprint):

Screen size (diagonal): 4.7 inches
Technology: Super LCD
Resolution: 1280px by 720px
NFC support: Yes
Processor Manufacturer: Qualcomm
Processor Brand / family: Snapdragon S4
Processor Clock speed: 1.5 GHz
Number of cores: 2
GPU: ?
RAM size: 1 GB
Internal Storage size: 16 GB
External Storage: Yes
Max external size: 32 GB
External type: microSD
Front Camera Resolution: 1.3 megapixels
Rear Camera Resolution: 8 megapixels
Flash: LED
Focus type: Autofocus
Video resolution: 1080p
Sensors: Proximity, Ambient light, Accelerometer
Battery Capacity: 2000 mAh
Removable Battery: No(?)

Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint):

Screen size (diagonal): 4.65 inches
Technology: HD Super AMOLED
Processor Manufacturer: Texas Instrument
Processor Brand / family: OMAP
Processor Clock speed: 1.2 GHz
GPU: PowerVR SGX540
External Storage: No
Front Camera Resolution: 1.3 megapixels
Rear Camera Resolution: 5 megapixels
Flash: LED
Focus type: Autofocus
Video resolution: 1080p
Sensors: Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope,
Accelerometer, Barometer
Battery Capacity: 1850 mAh
Removable Battery: Yes

Thanks for the support and info!!!

Reactions: Aloupha

ranmasaotome510

Nov 10, 2007
I am at the moment choosing the HTC Evo 4G LTE, Only because its S4 krait processor is much, much better than the OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus. May prove to have the brawn to play 720p 10-bit mkv's (anime) on the CPU (when GPU Acceleration is not allowed). I tested the Nexus (in store demo) on that front and it lags, otherwise plays video, audio, subs fine, just the video lags. Only because it doesn't support the videos format for GPU Acceleration. I dont know though... maybe OC'ing it would've been enough. But regardless the Evo4GLTE is proving to be quite the runner up.

I may have chosen the Evo over the nexus, but i would still love to have the nexus only because i know it'll have development support first. (being a google device and all).

Of course if i could have both, then id be even happier. And that's maybe what i'll do, Get both so i can switch back and forth to aid in deciding which one wins (after full development support is in full swing for both devices). I have a strong feeling the Evo may be the winner if and when CM9 is ported to it fully working.

i Also think the Non-Pentile screen on the Evo works in its favor. The Nexus's Super AMOLED is pretty, just a tad over saturated in colors a bit, in my opinion.

(Update: Also you're forgetting the Evo well also have all the sensors "Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope,
Accelerometer" minus the barometer.)

(Update 2: And not only is the S4 Processor better than the OMAP 4460, but the Adreno 225 GPU (Found in the S4 Krait SOC) is multitudes better than that crummy SGX 540 GPU)

(Update 3 - 4/07/12: And then i saw this video about the design, and i actually think the Evo LTE is a lot sexier than i gave it credit for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pNlGtUPuabs#!

Look at how THIN that thing is when the guy is holding it up to his face!!! It has the back shape of an 4G iPod Touch made with material of the iPhone 3G/s Gloss and HTC Sensation Metallic finish. And Edges like the iPhone 4's metal outer rim/antenna, with the added bonus of it being unibody. (minus the Glossy polycarbonate flap that is removable)

Last edited:

jorgekikon

Feb 6, 2009
Miami
From what you(ranmasaotome510) are saying which is a little more info than I had, I think i'm leaning towards the EVO 4G LTE as well, I just hope the dev support is as good as it has been with the original EVO 4G. I'll keep looking back for more opinions anyways so guys you are welcome to put in your grain of sand. Thanks!!!

ranmasaotome510

Nov 10, 2007
Great post op!

I am leaning toward the HTC Evo 4G LTE as well. I love that they bring the kickstand back. It would suck if the battery is not removable.

Do we know the size of the SD card it comes with?
How about the HDMI port?

FYI - Here are some nice screenshots of the Evo 4G LTE. http://www.engadget.com/photos/sprint-htv-evo-4g-lte-hands-on/#4940845

the battery is not removable, however i think that's a non-issue, as 2000mah on this guy is going to be PLENTY for many.

my bet is it wont come with any Micro SD card, as the device itself already has 16GB internal memory. the Micro SD card slot is just a nice touch and function they added for those of us who would love expandable memory.

The HDMI port is of the MHL type, you need a MHL adapter to HDMI to make use of it. otherwise its there and fully functional and does full screen mirroring like the Evo 3D did.

More on MHL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-definition_Link

The micro-usb port is MHL compatible.

MWaV

Dec 25, 2010
Kentucky
same here

Important thinking the same thing. the only thing that's deferring me from the EVO 4G LTE is the non removable battery and also thinking how this Will affect future rooters .

ranmasaotome510

Nov 10, 2007
Important thinking the same thing. the only thing that's deferring me from the EVO 4G LTE is the non removable battery and also thinking how this Will affect future rooters .

how does a non removable battery affect rooters? i fail to see your logic on that.

there already is some dev on xda who bought a leaked att one x on ebay and surprisingly it has full s-off. Otherwise the devs already have a head start and have already rooted the device iirc.

non-removable batteries means the phone has a mechanism, usually a button combination that allows you to force shut down the phone, much like the xoom. It is separate from the OS so freezes don't effect it.

(Update: heres the thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1584165)

Last edited:

MWaV

Dec 25, 2010
Kentucky
hmmm..

I guess i was looking at the fact most rooting procedures sometimes they use the option to pull battery causing a hard boot. I guess sometimes when that three button procedure didn't work there was always that last method of battery pull to give the cpu a jolt. But if you're saying that the devs found a way around this issue then that's great, but you know we have all ran into that problem when the push button feature just didn't work and resulted back to the old battery pull. What do you think the pros and cons are for non removable and removable battery phones In class

ranmasaotome510

Nov 10, 2007
I guess i was looking at the fact most rooting procedures sometimes they use the option to pull battery causing a hard boot. I guess sometimes when that three button procedure didn't work there was always that last method of battery pull to give the cpu a jolt. But if you're saying that the devs found a way around this issue then that's great, but you know we have all ran into that problem when the push button feature just didn't work and resulted back to the old battery pull. What do you think the pros and cons are for non removable and removable battery phones In class

well the problem is, phones WITH removable batteries usually 95% don't have that button combination to force the phone off.

plainjane

Jan 14, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Unfortunately I've gotten into the habit of never, ever charging my phone. I abuse the crap out of it then just switch batteries when it dies. Though I only use two 1500 mah batteries a day (and rarely deplete both), so I should be fine with charging it here and there. I haven't been looking forward to my upgrade until now, so this is great.
I will, of course, make sure that the development community is existent before upgrading. As long as there's decent AOSP support then I'm happy.

xdalaw

Aug 14, 2005
New England
Will be replacing my original EVO 4G soon. Was definitely going to get the Galaxy Nexus (my first Nexus device), but the 4G LTE looks very tempting.
I really wanted to go with a Nexus, but am afraid the LTE is too much better to pass up.
Will be watching this thread with interest!

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
Having a tough time deciding too

Will be replacing my original EVO 4G soon. Was definitely going to get the Galaxy Nexus (my first Nexus device), but the 4G LTE looks very tempting.
I really wanted to go with a Nexus, but am afraid the LTE is too much better to pass up.
Will be watching this thread with interest!

I had been 100% on getting the Galaxy Nexus when it launches later this month, but the new Evo LTE looks really cool, so now I'm not sure which to go with.

The Evo has a better camera - that's one of the features I love about the regular Evo 4G. Looks like it'll have better sound quality as well with the HD sound. But the problems with the USB ports breaking on the motherboard of the Evo has been a real hassle for me, I'm very gentle with my phone and I've had two where the USB port has come loose/stopped working. I wonder if the USB port has been redesigned to be more robust on the new Evo LTE? I also don't like the idea of a non-replaceable battery.

Right now I'm on my second Evo 4G with a busted USB port, and the only thing that's saving me is the fact that I can pop out the battery and charge it with an external charger. If it had a non-replaceable battery I'd be hosed.

So...heck I don't know. It'll be one or the other, just not sure yet. I do like the one-click rooting tool that Wug has up over on Androidcentral for the Galaxy Nexus. Very slick.

Last edited:

analytic168

Nov 16, 2008
Also unsure

That's funny that's exactly the situation I'm in. I've been dealing with a broken USB port on my EVO 4G for months now. I've been eagerly waiting for and planning on getting the galaxy nexus to replace my POS EVO, especially since I discovered the general goodness of AOSP after installing Cyanogenmod on my EVO. The EVO 4G LTE looks really good but
(1) i have already been waiting for months to replace my old EVO
(2) the broken USB thing makes me really worried about HTC's build quality

there are other pros as well as cons. Tough choice!

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
That's funny that's exactly the situation I'm in. I've been dealing with a broken USB port on my EVO 4G for months now. I've been eagerly waiting for and planning on getting the galaxy nexus to replace my POS EVO, especially since I discovered the general goodness of AOSP after installing Cyanogenmod on my EVO. The EVO 4G LTE looks really good but
(1) i have already been waiting for months to replace my old EVO
(2) the broken USB thing makes me really worried about HTC's build quality

there are other pros as well as cons. Tough choice!

The thing is, I really like the HTC build quality, other than the USB port :D It's a great device other than that. But I really like the idea of having replaceable batteries, and the Evo LTE clearly won't have that.

Oh...and now I hear that the Samsung Galaxy S3 will be out in July, so now I've got three to pick from: Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, and Evo LTE. My choice just got harder.

Jess813

Jun 22, 2010
I am leaning more towards the Nexus simply because..well its a Nexus! Yes the Evo is tempting but since the Evo packs a 1.5 dual core and the Nexus has a 1.2 dual core, it doesnt seem to make a HUGE leap for me. I have read several reviews includint Phone Arena's video of the HTC One X vs Galaxy Nexus and they gave the winning bid to the Nexus! Simply based on software, The Verge is also saying that they too as well would pick the Nexus! That's crazy! A phone that came out in Nov 2011 can match up to a phone that hasnt come out yet..... Its all software related since the Galaxy Nexus is a Google phone.

I do agree that the Evo has a better screen, but come on, the GN beats out MOST phones out now! Not to mention the Galaxy Nexus keeps up with the Evo camera yet its only a 5 megapixel!

Yes the Evo look like the winner NOW but in 5 months when a newer version of Android comes rolling out, you will wish you had chosen the Nexus.

bcb1

Apr 3, 2012
The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards the Samsung as well. But the question is...jump on the GNex now when it launches in April, or wait another couple months and get the S3?

I don't know how much better the S3 is going to be than the Nexus...

TheSeanR

Jul 26, 2010
I really like both phones, leaning towards evo because of the specs, but currently I have the evo3d and the only reason I haven't rooted it and ran another rom is because no aosp rom has 4g or the camera working, I'd really hate for that to be the case with the evo 4g lte

Aloupha

The nexus is ready to pre-preorder as of today. http://sprint.us/gnexus

I am difinitely getting the EVO simply because it is a much better phone. I have had my EVO 4G since it came out two years ago and have not had any issues with it. I am actually hoping to get it replaced so I could sell the replacement since I will be getting the EVO but again it has no issues at all. So I cant get it replaced.

I don't know about this usb issues some of you have experienced.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am at the moment choosing the HTC Evo 4G LTE, Only because its S4 krait processor is much, much better than the OMAP 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus. May prove to have the brawn to play 720p 10-bit mkv's (anime) on the CPU (when GPU Acceleration is not allowed). I tested the Nexus (in store demo) on that front and it lags, otherwise plays video, audio, subs fine, just the video lags. Only because it doesn't support the videos format for GPU Acceleration. I dont know though... maybe OC'ing it would've been enough. But regardless the Evo4GLTE is proving to be quite the runner up.

I may have chosen the Evo over the nexus, but i would still love to have the nexus only because i know it'll have development support first. (being a google device and all).

Of course if i could have both, then id be even happier. And that's maybe what i'll do, Get both so i can switch back and forth to aid in deciding which one wins (after full development support is in full swing for both devices). I have a strong feeling the Evo may be the winner if and when CM9 is ported to it fully working.

i Also think the Non-Pentile screen on the Evo works in its favor. The Nexus's Super AMOLED is pretty, just a tad over saturated in colors a bit, in my opinion.

(Update: Also you're forgetting the Evo well also have all the sensors "Compass (Magnetometer), Proximity, Ambient light, Gyroscope,
    Accelerometer" minus the barometer.)

(Update 2: And not only is the S4 Processor better than the OMAP 4460, but the Adreno 225 GPU (Found in the S4 Krait SOC) is multitudes better than that crummy SGX 540 GPU)

(Update 3 - 4/07/12: And then i saw this video about the design, and i actually think the Evo LTE is a lot sexier than i gave it credit for.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pNlGtUPuabs#!

Look at how THIN that thing is when the guy is holding it up to his face!!! It has the back shape of an 4G iPod Touch made with material of the iPhone 3G/s Gloss and HTC Sensation Metallic finish. And Edges like the iPhone 4's metal outer rim/antenna, with the added bonus of it being unibody. (minus the Glossy polycarbonate flap that is removable)
    Galaxy Nexus LTE(Sprint) or HTC EVO 4G LTE(Sprint)

Hi everybody, my Sprint contract is due to end in a couple days and I'm just wondering which of these two great phone I should get. For my needs they are basically the same, the aspect that matters the most to me is developer support. I happen to own an EVO 4G right now and had awesome dev support with it, just hoping to have the same luck with the next phone.

Anyway for those of you who don't know the specs here they are....

EVO 4G LTE(sprint):

Screen size (diagonal): 4.7 inches
    Technology: Super LCD
    Processor Manufacturer: Qualcomm
    Processor Brand / family: Snapdragon S4
    Processor Clock speed: 1.5 GHz
    GPU: ?