Installing Windows 8 on my Windows 7 computer

Search This thread

xxviproxx

Nov 23, 2011
Örebro
Hi!
I just heard about Windows 8 and i have Two questions.
Does Windows 7 applications runt on this?
And Can you upgrade from Windows 7?

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk

norgan

May 7, 2006
Sydney, AU
the answer for everyone else is yes and yes and for the most part drivers from windows 7 also work.
EDIT: apps will be lost but settings and files will be kept.

Some stuff you need to right click and choose compatiblity mode.

FYI the windows phone emulator does some freaky **** to win8 so don't try running it, you've been warned.

Reactions: xxviproxx

verbatim20

Oct 10, 2011
Would you recommend trying Windows 8 developers preview or should I wait until the official release.

Spatnonkl

Sep 6, 2010
what could prevent you from trying?
Install it in a virtual machine for easy installing and easy deleting
OR
create an extra partition and install it there for a realistic performance impression.

ngholson

Sep 11, 2010
Biloxi, MS
win8 is nice but feels more like a mobile phone os than one geared for computers. tied too closely to the ms live services as well, did not like that it would change my live messenger picture when i changed my login image on win8.

if you have a touch screen pc (like the aio's) then this might be more practical, but it doesn't seem to be intended for mouse and keyboard use.

xFrozen

Nov 8, 2011
Windows 8 is for the most part, pretty similar to Windows 7.
Most applications and drivers will work.
But so far here's a mini list of applications that aren't working for anyone:
- AIM
- Combat Arms
- Maple Story

(yeah it's a really bad list but hey XD)

HenryJe

Jun 14, 2011
first. there are some apps which from win7 can not run in win 8.
second. you cant upgrade to win 8 from win 7.
finally. win 8 is great. but it is not stable with some kind of hardware. you should install both win 7 and win 8 to have the best in working and getting exp

Last edited:

RyanBoyGenius

Nov 29, 2010
Miami
I tried out Windows 8 about a month ago and felt that it was a decent experience. Unfortunately for me though it wouldnt find the driver for my wireless card (WRT54GS) so I ended up uninstalling it.

Maybe its me but I don't see the big deal about it. I didnt really use the metro UI and the new changes to explorer didnt make or break the experience, it was just meh.

Reactions: monsterr

Gizumhi

Oct 15, 2010
Hi all!

Well I'm running W8 dev installed in host (not virual) and it works great on my 6 years old computer.

I think it's awesome, it takes lots of memory but it wors so fast.

I was running w7 x86 before trying this and it was quite slow for my comp also for playing (league of legends around 25-30fps). Now I'm running w8 64 and it has been improved from 30-40fps (my graphic card is quite old). Maybe cause it's 64 instead of 32 bits?

My comp is an AMD athlon 64 3800 x2, 2GB DDR, 320GB SATA and nVidia 7800 GT CO

Anyway I recommend for everyone to try it, I've been using it a week from now and I think it's awesome but there're some apps that doesn't works at all of the Metro UI such as Socialité and the Weather app

Enviado desde mi U20i usando Tapatalk

samerc

Apr 14, 2011
Beirut
i installed win8 on my laptop. It is using similar resources to win7.
Win8 is great, but its still very buggy (pretty good for a pre beta)
I am sure it change a lot from now till the release date, but at least we get a picture of what to expect.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the answer for everyone else is yes and yes and for the most part drivers from windows 7 also work.
    EDIT: apps will be lost but settings and files will be kept.

Some stuff you need to right click and choose compatiblity mode.

FYI the windows phone emulator does some freaky **** to win8 so don't try running it, you've been warned.
    I tried out Windows 8 about a month ago and felt that it was a decent experience. Unfortunately for me though it wouldnt find the driver for my wireless card (WRT54GS) so I ended up uninstalling it.

Maybe its me but I don't see the big deal about it. I didnt really use the metro UI and the new changes to explorer didnt make or break the experience, it was just meh.
    how to disable the metro style???
    Use Blue poison
    Blue Poison
    Well, i have been using Dev preview from the day it has been released.
    Observed a couple of random restarts while poking around rasdial in cmd for my PPPoE dialer automation (my mistake :eek:)

You can use the OS for daily (light) use wouldn't recommend for gaming or other highly crucial tasks.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree. Did exactly the same;
    You guys made me excited. i am surely gonna try it out. Just install it on another HD. That way you can choose which OS you want to run. right?

If installing to two separate HDD's you can boot the different OS's by selecting your HDD boot priority in the BIOS. You could also partition one HDD and you would then be prompted with a dual boot screen asking you to choose the OS to boot.