Does Samsung Ever Upgrade Stock Apps?

Search This thread

hurley81388

Nov 29, 2011
Hi all, I'm a very recent switcher from iPhone (just got the SR 5 days ago after owning the original iPhone and then the 3gs for the past 4 years) and had a question about the stock apps.

I really like the stock Samsung e-mail app over the Gmail app for managing my gmail accounts but one thing that is a glaring omission is the inability to archive e-mails. I know you can do this through the Gmail app but to me the Samsung app is just slicker plus it has unified inbox which was great on the iPhone.

In the original iPhone mail app you used to not be able to archive Gmail email for the longest time until a fairly recent update (i think it was the same update that gave us unified inbox- not sure though). Along the same lines, is it possible that Samsung will ever update the stock e-mail app to support archiving? If so, how do you update stock apps? Does it only come with a new OS update like ICS?

I guess I could be persuaded into looking at 3rd party apps but I think I really prefer to stay with stock because I know it has been specifically designed with this phone's hardware in mind and is probably the most optimized with regards to memory management, battery, etc. Thanks!

lart2150

Dec 17, 2010
Chicago
gmail for android supports archiving already.

You might be able to archive with activesync/imap if you move the email out of the inbox folder but that's more of a hack then anything else.

To answer your original question I would not expect many changes to the stock apps excluding those that are in the market (maps, gmail, etc) until we get ics.