NANDroid backup

Search This thread

bluerogue85

Aug 13, 2010
San Diego
what is a nandroid? how do you perform a NANDroid backup of your current ROM? im going to cm7 stable from kj1. just wondering cause it says in the steps to install cm7. thanks..sorry for the noob ques..

Jul 23, 2011
its making a complete backup of ur current rom settings,apps and all. with i897 gingerbread roms i dont think u can restore a nandroid backup. but u would normally do a backup in recovery with cwm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bhupendroid

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
yes, nandroid on i897 ginger roms do not work.

but the procedure would be to make a backup. then if you flash a different rom from what the backup was made from you would have to flash the rom back that was backed up THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed away from that rom.

DO NOT EVER restore a nandroid to a set up it was not backed up on, it will bootloop.

Reactions: bhupendroid

bluerogue85

Aug 13, 2010
San Diego
DO NOT EVER restore a nandroid to a set up it was not backed up on, it will bootloop.

can you expound on that please...hahaha..sorry im reading it over and over..just need to clarify..what you mean? thanks btw guys for the reply..so basically nandroid backs up your rom..cause just the name sounded confusing..i mean why name it nandroid when they can just say in the intructions before flashing a rom to just "back up" your rom..haha..i thought nandroid was something else..cause i heard other people saying something about efs or whatever and backing it up but i dont even know what that is especially..thanks though for replies..got it..

studacris

Dec 25, 2010
Nashville, TN
Say you back up your current ROM, then flash another. You can't just restore ROM A onto ROM b. You have to flash back to ROM A and THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed ROM b. All of you settings and everything will be intact.

Efs is totally different, that is a partition that contains your phones individual data, it's imei which you have to manually backup it's not included in a nandroid.

KarateKick

Oct 10, 2011
Components backed up by NANDroid

Which of these components does NANDROID back up?

- bootloaders?
- kernel?
- system apps and other apps?
- modems?
- other parts of the OS?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

ayush29k

Sep 30, 2011
Delhi
Say you back up your current ROM, then flash another. You can't just restore ROM A onto ROM b. You have to flash back to ROM A and THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed ROM b. All of you settings and everything will be intact.

Efs is totally different, that is a partition that contains your phones individual data, it's imei which you have to manually backup it's not included in a nandroid.

Kindly clarify this please, i want to backup my stock rom before going custom.
So inorder to do a complete backup, we need to do a nandroid backup and also backup imei separately?? and then restore both of them when i flash back to stock??

apbthe3

Mar 4, 2011
So inorder to do a complete backup, we need to do a nandroid backup and also backup imei separately?? and then restore both of them when i flash back to stock??

They are two separate issues, really, but you are correct that you should back up both.

Nandroid lets you go back to a previous state, as long as you flash back to the correct ROM before you restore it. It will not let you restore data to your new installation, though. If you want to restore your applications in your new ROM, you can download Titanium Backup from the market which will let you batch save your applications now and restore them on your new ROM (It can also save and restore system data, but don't restore system data between ROMs, it causes all sorts of weird issues).

Backing up your EFS folder is something you should do, but hopefully will never have to restore. Your EFS folder contains information about your phone and should never actually get touched in any way when flashing ROMs. However, things go wrong and sometimes this folder ends up getting corrupted for whatever reason, which can lead to a corrupt IMEI code and no service. If this were to happen, you would restore you EFS from backup. I think it's safe to say most of us have never had to actually do this, but better safe than sorry. You can do a search for backing it up and find several threads about it.

Happy flashing!

KarateKick

Oct 10, 2011
Components backed up by nandroid

Which of these components does NANDROID back up?

- bootloaders?
- kernel?
- system apps and other apps?
- modems?
- other parts of the OS?

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

The firmware and system settings.

No kernel
No bootloader
No modem

When I run a nandroid backup I see it processing these:

- boot image
- recovery image
- system
- data
- datadata
- .android_secure
- cache
- sd-ext

Can anyone explain some of these terms to me? I am pretty new to all this.

Last edited:

abdu_mka

Jan 13, 2012
Guys , if I have two same model phones , one with alot of games and modded ROM and the other is standard , Can I take NANDroid backup from the first and restore in in the second ?

thanx in advanced

galaxymny

Mar 8, 2012
Hello,

This is the thread I was looking for. It just tackles top backup/restore issues I want to be positive of before tinkering around.

Now, what app is capable of doing a nandroid backup, if any? RomManager?

If a nandroid backup consists of the firmware and system settings but no kernel, bootloader or modem, how are these three backed up then?

My goal is making a stock unrooted (if possible) backup.

A concerning restoring, from this thread I understand that the restore process is composed of:

1st restore ROM A (which?)
2nd restore nandroid (which?)
3rd restore data/apps (Titanium is able to)
4th restore EFS folder (how?)

Please, correct/suggest. I appreciate.

Greetings,

RootTheMachine

Oct 4, 2011
Hello,

This is the thread I was looking for. It just tackles top backup/restore issues I want to be positive of before tinkering around.

Now, what app is capable of doing a nandroid backup, if any? RomManager?

If a nandroid backup consists of the firmware and system settings but no kernel, bootloader or modem, how are these three backed up then?

My goal is making a stock unrooted (if possible) backup.

A concerning restoring, from this thread I understand that the restore process is composed of:

1st restore ROM A (which?)
2nd restore nandroid (which?)
3rd restore data/apps (Titanium is able to)
4th restore EFS folder (how?)

Please, correct/suggest. I appreciate.

Greetings,

First of all, you have revived an old thread with now false information. A nandroid does include modem and kernel. Bootloaders can't be backed up, and there really wouldn't be a point in that. No app can do a backup, and please don't use ROM manager; it's obsolete. As for your steps: You probably only need to flash a ROM first if the partition table is being changed. Meaning you can't restore a Samsung ROM over an AOSP ROM. You won't need to use titanium backup because you will have restored the phone to the exact state it was when you took the backup. Meaning there won't be anything to restore. Efs? Don't touch it, we never will be deleting it.

Sent from my CM9 ICS i897 Captivate

Last edited:

galaxymny

Mar 8, 2012
Hello,

@korockinout13: I don't think I'm providing false info. Actually, i've been gathering from the thread. I think there's some disagreement on what a nandroid backup really backs up from the views expressed in the thread. Plus, it's pure netiquette not opening new threads for a topic already started somewhere else in a forum. It's power ecology. No hard feelings, though. :)

Thank you and b-eock for your replies. I think I'd rather use cwm instead.

My goal is still the same: making a stock unrooted (if possible) backup as there are no roms available for my brand new Mini:

pda S5570XWKQG
phone S5570XWKQ5
csc S5570YOGKQ3
android version 2.3.4
Kernel 2.6.35

Thank you both!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

They are two separate issues, really, but you are correct that you should back up both.

Nandroid lets you go back to a previous state, as long as you flash back to the correct ROM before you restore it. It will not let you restore data to your new installation, though. If you want to restore your applications in your new ROM, you can download Titanium Backup from the market which will let you batch save your applications now and restore them on your new ROM (It can also save and restore system data, but don't restore system data between ROMs, it causes all sorts of weird issues).

Backing up your EFS folder is something you should do, but hopefully will never have to restore. Your EFS folder contains information about your phone and should never actually get touched in any way when flashing ROMs. However, things go wrong and sometimes this folder ends up getting corrupted for whatever reason, which can lead to a corrupt IMEI code and no service. If this were to happen, you would restore you EFS from backup. I think it's safe to say most of us have never had to actually do this, but better safe than sorry. You can do a search for backing it up and find several threads about it.

Happy flashing!
    its making a complete backup of ur current rom settings,apps and all. with i897 gingerbread roms i dont think u can restore a nandroid backup. but u would normally do a backup in recovery with cwm.
    yes, nandroid on i897 ginger roms do not work.

but the procedure would be to make a backup. then if you flash a different rom from what the backup was made from you would have to flash the rom back that was backed up THEN restore the nandroid and it will be like you never flashed away from that rom.

See this thread in the Development Forum for Corn Kernel... It has a working nandroid. BTW, that kernel is for i897 Gingerbread Roms.