Sync - charge cable

Search This thread

kkretch

Jan 1, 2013
near Pittsburgh
Anyone else surprised at how thick the Sync - charge cable is compared to the GT-N8000 series cable.

Does anyone know where to get a spare just like it except in black at a reasonable price?

lotus49

Jun 28, 2011
Yorkshire
Anyone else surprised at how thick the Sync - charge cable is compared to the GT-N8000 series cable.

Does anyone know where to get a spare just like it except in black at a reasonable price?

Not really. The cable for my S4 is pretty much exactly the same. The charger for my S4 has the highest current output of any of my chargers and I put the size of the cable down to a need for low resistance so the tablet can benefit fully from the high current.

mollybc

Jan 8, 2009
Apex, NC
i did a big ole test with various chargers and cables with different devices and found this cable:http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5459&seq=1&format=2 to be just as good as the stock cable on the stock charger according to kill-a-watt. the s4 and gnote 8 cable only pulled 10W while the monoprice and gn 10.1 2014 pulled 11W.

Odd that you had any kind of real world success with those cables. I have used Monoprice cables for years and love them, but I have several of those same cables in lengths from 3-15 feet and every one of them charges at half the rate or less of the stock cable. I normally get >1000 mAmp with the stock charger and cable, but only get ~500-750 mAmp with stock charger and any of my Monoprice cables I wish they charged at the same mAmp rate b/c I like having a longer charging cable. Has anyone else had this issue or found a 6 to 10 foot cable that still charges at the same mAmp rate of the stock cable?

lotus49

Jun 28, 2011
Yorkshire
If you double the length of a cable, you double its resistance. It's not possible for a longer cable to pass as much current unless it is proportionally thicker. The stock cable is both short and thick; that is why it works so well.

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Odd that you had any kind of real world success with those cables. I have used Monoprice cables for years and love them, but I have several of those same cables in lengths from 3-15 feet and every one of them charges at half the rate or less of the stock cable. I normally get >1000 mAmp with the stock charger and cable, but only get ~500-750 mAmp with stock charger and any of my Monoprice cables I wish they charged at the same mAmp rate b/c I like having a longer charging cable. Has anyone else had this issue or found a 6 to 10 foot cable that still charges at the same mAmp rate of the stock cable?
I was surprised myself. I have a lot of the six feet monoprice (or 5) and none of those pulled as much wattage. I was actually trying to see which workedmwith my t100 and found that the t100 3 footer and gn101 2014 and the monoprice 10footer were the only ones that pulled 11 watts. the 5 pulled only 8watts.

if I have time tomorrow I'll redo all my tests with various chargers and devices and list the killawatt results. I dont know how much current actually gets to the device, only whats being pulled from the wall. the charge percent per hour reported by bmw pro seems to show they equal though from a small sample.

johnny tsunami

Jul 21, 2010
Is it bad to use the note charger to charge my s3?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

lotus49

Jun 28, 2011
Yorkshire

Not at all. Any charger should work; the only difference between chargers is their maximum current output but the device determines what current it draws so there isn't any risk in using a charger with a higher maximum current than the supplied charger.

Reactions: johnny tsunami

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
i was corrected when i stated the same. the output of the gn10.1 charger is 5.3v while most others are 5v. it may not be enough difference to cause any harm, but be aware that there may be a chance of damage over time. the voltage will be constant, but the amperage is what is controlled by what the phone requests.

that said, i haven't had any problems with my s4, t100, gn8 or gn2 yet.

ChrisNee1988

Nov 2, 2010
I was surprised myself. I have a lot of the six feet monoprice (or 5) and none of those pulled as much wattage. I was actually trying to see which workedmwith my t100 and found that the t100 3 footer and gn101 2014 and the monoprice 10footer were the only ones that pulled 11 watts. the 5 pulled only 8watts.

if I have time tomorrow I'll redo all my tests with various chargers and devices and list the killawatt results. I dont know how much current actually gets to the device, only whats being pulled from the wall. the charge percent per hour reported by bmw pro seems to show they equal though from a small sample.

Any results from the monoprice cables? I need a few new cables as half of mine decided to go bad all at once

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Any results from the monoprice cables? I need a few new cables as half of mine decided to go bad all at once

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

my tests would actually be inconclusive since the killawatt can only judge the amount of current that the charger is delivering and not the final amount that the device actually gets.

from a short test last night i found the actual amperage that the monoprice 10' ferrite core cable is arounf 1700mAh where the 3' stock is 1900mAh.

those results are from battery monitor widget pro. i'd consider it a good trade off for getting 7 extra feet. the 10' is only a few dimes more than the cheap 5' cables. for some reason the 5' wouldn't coax the charger to pull as much from the outlet as the 10' did.

lotus49

Jun 28, 2011
Yorkshire
i was corrected when i stated the same. the output of the gn10.1 charger is 5.3v while most others are 5v. it may not be enough difference to cause any harm, but be aware that there may be a chance of damage over time. the voltage will be constant, but the amperage is what is controlled by what the phone requests.

that said, i haven't had any problems with my s4, t100, gn8 or gn2 yet.

That's a fair point but I don't actually thinks it's an issue.

The USB 2.0 standard requires that the voltage be 5.0V ± 0.25V so the maximum voltage (which any USB compliant device should be able to cope with) is 5.25V. The Note charger is rated for the output at the charger not the cable since the cable is not an integral part of the unit. There will be a small voltage drop caused by the cable so the actual output at the phone will be within spec and therefore safe.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Not at all. Any charger should work; the only difference between chargers is their maximum current output but the device determines what current it draws so there isn't any risk in using a charger with a higher maximum current than the supplied charger.