Full WiMax Settings

Search This thread

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010
ALL credit goes to sbrissen for completing this task. Without him my bounty thread would probably still be up and unresolved. Be sure to show him thanks as well!

I've been waiting to see what Sprint was doing with WiMax first before releasing this but now we know there will be no more WiMax smartphones... although I'm still waiting to see if they sneak the Samsung Note in with WiMax.

As the WiMax enthusiasts already know... we can edit 99% of the same values as the OG Epic already using both ##DATA# > View > WiMAX and ##DEBUG# menus. Possibly the most useful edit is setting the Entry Rx levels from -89 to -110.. allowing those in low signal areas to still jump on 4G. The big edit that was missing on the E4GT was the ability to edit the WiMax MAC address. This is what I'm sharing today.

UPDATE
This can also be done on AOSP ICS without the need for the attached apk(still no ICS Touchwiz option). I've personally only done this with CM9 built by darchstar or sbrissen.. but it should work for others.
1. Use an app such as 'Any Cut' from the market to make shortcuts.
2. When scrolling through all of the available shortcut options you will see WIMAX_CFG and WimaxHiddenMenu. Make a shortcut to each.
3. Use WIMAX_CFG to set the Realm. Use WimaxHiddenMenu to set the MAC.
4. Hit the THANKS button because I'm jawsome.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Download the attached file and unzip
2. Replace unzipped file w/the file in /system/apps. make sure permissions are correct(Root Explorer makes this EZ)
3. Go to the dialer.. enter ##DEBUG# > WiMAX CT > Open Device.. Edit MAC and hit set. Done.

This will work on all Touchwiz based roms released up until this point(with unmodified dialers). I can not promise it will work on upcoming ICS Touchwiz builds and it will definitely NOT work on any current/future AOSP/MTD/Cyanogen builds!! If you do have a Touchwiz based rom but the dialer has been modified and does NOT allow ##DEBUG# to work.. use an app like AnyCut to make a shortcut to WiMAX CT instead. Again.. this will NOT work on non-touchwiz roms.

WiMax Realms(##DATA# > View > WiMAX > REALM):
Sprint - sprintpcs.com
Clear - clearwire-wmx.net
Rover - rover-wmx.net
Xohm - xohm.com
BridgeMAXX - bridgeMAXX.com
Time Warner - mobile.rr.com
Comcast - mob.comcast.net
FreedomPop - freedompop.com

IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE WORKING 4G ON YOUR EPIC 4G TOUCH W/ SPRINT OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFO THEN THIS MOD ISN'T FOR YOU... KEEP IT MOVIN' :D

THIS WILL NOT MAGICALLY GIVE YOU 4G RECEPTION IF YOU ARE NOT IN A WIMAX COVERAGE AREA.

Clear 4G Coverage Maps
S4GRU Phantom Coverage List
S4GRU WiMax Protection Site List

You're welcome. Dont forget to say thanks and/or donate.. I just made your E4GT on Sprint/Boost/Verizon/Cricket/Metro/Etc wayyy better until at least 2015. And try not to fill up the thread with BS questions like "what is this for".. or "how do I get my MSL"...

Attachments

• derp.zip
    94.5 KB · Views: 4,721
Last edited:

Android300ZX

Dec 18, 2009
Hackensack, NJ
Thanks for this. I'm sure this will help a lot of people.

To get your MSL download Terminal Emulator from the Market. You MUST be rooted.

Open it and type:

"su" (for super user access)(don't type the quotes)

then type "getprop ril.MSL"
(then enter to get you Device's MSL code, NO QUOTES)

I know even though you stated in the OP not to ask someone will.

trim81

Feb 11, 2006
Thanks very much.

Question: will a ##786# reset restore original values if needed?

Magicspell

Dec 20, 2009
Tucson
At the risk of being the first uneducated poster to ask the "what is this for" type question, I have to ask:

Will this do anything for me if Sprint has no 4G coverage in my area?

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
At the risk of being the first uneducated poster to ask the "what is this for" type question, I have to ask:

Will this do anything for me if Sprint has no 4G coverage in my area?

sprint/clear/comcast all share the same towers.. if you currently do not have coverage this will not help. Though I would not rely solely on their coverage maps. http://s4gru.spruz.com has detailed info in their forums on WiMax "Protection sites/Phantom sites" that list towers not listed by Clear/Sprint. Though if WiMax is NOWHERE near you.. this prob wont help... unless a local college or something is using WiMax.

Reactions: Magickly

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
And don't fill up the thread with BS questions like "what is this for".. or "how do I get my MSL"..

I almost might could understand MSL, but why is asking what its for a BS question? You posted it in a general forum, but your response seems like you must be a techie to know what to do with this file you posted. Everybody is expected to know the the benefits of changing your mac address?

#justsaying

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
I almost might could understand MSL, but why is asking what its for a BS question? You posted it in a general forum, but your response seems like you must be a techie to know what to do with this file you posted. Everybody is expected to know the the benefits of changing your mac address?

#justsaying

because i said what its for.. its for editing your mac address. editing mac addresses is a touchy subject so that's all that will be discussed on the matter. and just because it's in the General Forums does not mean technical knowledge shouldn't be required.

Reactions: flastnoles11

SayWhat10

Jun 27, 2010
Miami
www.msn.com
because i said what its for.. its for editing your mac address. editing mac addresses is a touchy subject so that's all that will be discussed on the matter. and just because it's in the General Forums does not mean technical knowledge shouldn't be required.

um, whatever
but you replied in the other post "this is for those on other carriers or non-working WiMax 4G"

If you had simply included that in your original topic, could have avoided some replies

Tis all

Reactions: PanchoPlanet

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
Its like this, I have great 4g but I went to a farmers market there a company was showing off their WiMax for gaming. The MSL was on the side. Theoretically, you can Crick that Mac on here and use it. I was seriously wondering if there is a mini throttle between Clear and Sprint. Straight Clear seems faster. This is not legal to do I believe unless you own another WiMax device like portable hotspots...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Last edited:

m_reyna_16

Mar 4, 2008
just in case one wants to revert back to the original settings, what does one need to do? i dont think a nand backup will do the trick right?

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
just in case one wants to revert back to the original settings, what does one need to do? i dont think a nand backup will do the trick right?

already covered in the thread.. simply rewrite the old MAC thats on the label under your battery. there is no partition etc that requires backing up.. it's not like HTC devices.

autoprime

Jun 23, 2010
Cool... one last question... what mac adress can we add or where can I find a mac adress?

if you have working sprint then you dont need to add anything. if you dont have working sprint 4g then you can add the mac address from your Clearwire modem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL credit goes to sbrissen for completing this task. Without him my bounty thread would probably still be up and unresolved. Be sure to show him thanks as well!

I've been waiting to see what Sprint was doing with WiMax first before releasing this but now we know there will be no more WiMax smartphones... although I'm still waiting to see if they sneak the Samsung Note in with WiMax.

As the WiMax enthusiasts already know... we can edit 99% of the same values as the OG Epic already using both ##DATA# > View > WiMAX and ##DEBUG# menus. Possibly the most useful edit is setting the Entry Rx levels from -89 to -110.. allowing those in low signal areas to still jump on 4G. The big edit that was missing on the E4GT was the ability to edit the WiMax MAC address. This is what I'm sharing today.

UPDATE
    This can also be done on AOSP ICS without the need for the attached apk(still no ICS Touchwiz option). I've personally only done this with CM9 built by darchstar or sbrissen.. but it should work for others.
    1. Use an app such as 'Any Cut' from the market to make shortcuts.
    2. When scrolling through all of the available shortcut options you will see WIMAX_CFG and WimaxHiddenMenu. Make a shortcut to each.
    3. Use WIMAX_CFG to set the Realm. Use WimaxHiddenMenu to set the MAC.
    4. Hit the THANKS button because I'm jawsome.

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Download the attached file and unzip
    2. Replace unzipped file w/the file in /system/apps. make sure permissions are correct(Root Explorer makes this EZ)
    3. Go to the dialer.. enter ##DEBUG# > WiMAX CT > Open Device.. Edit MAC and hit set. Done.

This will work on all Touchwiz based roms released up until this point(with unmodified dialers). I can not promise it will work on upcoming ICS Touchwiz builds and it will definitely NOT work on any current/future AOSP/MTD/Cyanogen builds!! If you do have a Touchwiz based rom but the dialer has been modified and does NOT allow ##DEBUG# to work.. use an app like AnyCut to make a shortcut to WiMAX CT instead. Again.. this will NOT work on non-touchwiz roms.

WiMax Realms(##DATA# > View > WiMAX > REALM):
    Sprint - sprintpcs.com
    Clear - clearwire-wmx.net
    Rover - rover-wmx.net
    Xohm - xohm.com
    BridgeMAXX - bridgeMAXX.com
    Time Warner - mobile.rr.com
    Comcast - mob.comcast.net
    FreedomPop - freedompop.com

IF YOU CURRENTLY HAVE WORKING 4G ON YOUR EPIC 4G TOUCH W/ SPRINT OR DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO DO WITH THIS INFO THEN THIS MOD ISN'T FOR YOU... KEEP IT MOVIN' :D

THIS WILL NOT MAGICALLY GIVE YOU 4G RECEPTION IF YOU ARE NOT IN A WIMAX COVERAGE AREA.

Clear 4G Coverage Maps
    S4GRU Phantom Coverage List
    S4GRU WiMax Protection Site List

You're welcome. Dont forget to say thanks and/or donate.. I just made your E4GT on Sprint/Boost/Verizon/Cricket/Metro/Etc wayyy better until at least 2015. And try not to fill up the thread with BS questions like "what is this for".. or "how do I get my MSL"...
    Thanks for this. I'm sure this will help a lot of people.

To get your MSL download Terminal Emulator from the Market. You MUST be rooted.

Open it and type:

"su" (for super user access)(don't type the quotes)

then type "getprop ril.MSL"
    (then enter to get you Device's MSL code, NO QUOTES)

I know even though you stated in the OP not to ask someone will.
    If I read it correctly it enhances your 4g connection if your currently in a Wimax area... Im just stuck on step 3.... No need to be a douche....smh... I hate ignorant ppl

no need to call anyone ignorant when you havent completely read the original post. there is no way to enhance any signal.. but what you can do is allow your phone to connect to 4G while at a lower signal. by default wimax will not connect unless the signal is -89 or greater. by setting this to -110.. you're allowing the phone to jump on wimax with lower signal strength.

editing the wimax mac has nothing at all to do with improving signal. it is ONLY providing an option for those without sprint 4g service to take advantage of the built in wimax if they happen to be in a 4g area. i believe most of the people in this thread are already on sprint and have a 4g plan.. so nothing in this thread can be any help to them other then me linking to the other wimax thread on how to adjust wimax settings.
    AND how can i do that if i have to pay 35 bucks for a clearwire plan? that defeats th purpose of my et4g being on boost.... i followed everything to a t, except the editing of my mac address..what now?

The purpose of the thread was to provide an option to E4GT users to edit their Wimax MAC. That point was accomplished.

What now? If you have a Clear modem/iSpot/etc... or some people have WiMax bundled with their Comcast or Time Warner cable bills.. they can now use that.
    Ok I apologize.... I do appreciate your work autoprime... I understand that changing to -115 will allow me to get onto the 4g and not enhance it... I was jusy trying to figure out how to do so... I also have sprint and the 4g plan...sorry if I seem naive

##DATA# > View > WiMAX > Enter MSL > Scroll down and select 'Extensions'.. then there's an Entry Rx option... long press on it and write -110 in the blank and hit save/write.. i forget what it says exactly.

if it doesnt say -110 when you hit write.. its ok.. just back out of the menu all the way and go back in and you'll see the new setting took.