[Q] Restore to stock with Kies - flash counter question

Search This thread

ophilar

Apr 4, 2012
Hi

I'm currently on CM11 (nightly and TWRP) and want to revert to stock. Kies has the "Firmware upgrade and initialization" option ..
My question is:

Is it necessary to reset the flash counter in order to use this? What will happen if I try to use it without resetting the counter?

I tried to find an answer for the last few days, but couldn't (or couldn't understand what I found).

The backstory is my serial number was reset and I can't connect to network after flashing ArchiDroid with a new modem. I afterwards flashed a different (JB) modem. I was already on Samsung stock 4.3 so I guess my efs is v2 (so no Ariza's patch..), and I have some backups of it.
I'd rather not use Odin or ADB. I figured the easiest and safest way is to reset and restore everything to stock, send to a lab if necessary, then reinstall cm11. I'm also not sure how restoring the efs works ..

I'll be very thankful for any feedback, as I've been wasting a lot of time on trying to solve it recently ..

Ron

ophilar

Apr 4, 2012
Kies sucks. Flash with Odin and no it don't matter about flash counter. Flash counter only matters when sending back to samsung service.

Thanks. Flashed with Odin - something went wrong at first, then went fine and now the phone won't boot :) But I'm on the right track and lost my fear of Odin, so thanks :cool:

ophilar

Apr 4, 2012
Factory reset it stock recovery and reboot.

That solved it. Unfortunately my phone would not connect to the cellular network stating "service is not available". Good thing I have a backup phone (in which the same SIM works ...)

Personally I don't think Kies is that back, but Samsung's mobile-related software (Android, apps, etc.) is truly bad. Kies was mainly useless when it was relevant ..

andrewwright

Feb 19, 2013
east
Once you come to XDA you should learn the best ways of doing things. Odin is a very good tool. Kies should be deleted once you come here and understand what odin can do. I didn't like odin at the start but have grown to have respect for its uses. Saved my s3 a few times :thumbup:

Reactions: ophilar

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kies sucks. Flash with Odin and no it don't matter about flash counter. Flash counter only matters when sending back to samsung service.
    Factory reset it stock recovery and reboot.

+1 to Odin.
    Kies creates more problems than it solves.

~ RazorMC
    Once you come to XDA you should learn the best ways of doing things. Odin is a very good tool. Kies should be deleted once you come here and understand what odin can do. I didn't like odin at the start but have grown to have respect for its uses. Saved my s3 a few times :thumbup: