[Q] Changing IMEI?

Search This thread

chabos

Mar 9, 2012
Hey, sorry, this seems like the kind of thing that's already answered, but 30 minutes of searching this site and Google turned up nothing so... Any way, my friend wants to get an AT&T phone. My other friend has a Galaxy S on T Mobile, and he apparently is getting the dumb phone unlimited data plan with the T Mobile version too. He said he changed the IMEI by deleting a certain folder after rooting. I found some tool on here for changing Samsung IMEIs, but there's not really a clear guide. So what I want to know is:

How do I change the IMEI on the Galaxy S?

Will this work on AT&T? (ie, would my friend be able to get the 10 dollar dumb phone plan on it?)

If I found some cheap one with a black listed IMEI, would changing it make it usable on AT&T again?

Thanks,
Chabos.

vijai2011

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 24, 2011
If I'm not wrong you wont get any reply as changing IMEI yourself is highly illegal and XDA forum is not going to help illegal stuffs.....Find a different place to get your answer.BTW there is no offence ment to you....:)

jjuki

Mar 7, 2012
Before you go digging around for ways to mess with your EFS folder, you need to understand that, unlike flashing a device (which could potentially lead to bricks as well) could render your device completely useless as it will no longer be recognized by your carrier. From this point, there is no tool to allow you to recover from a mistake done in here, so proceed with extreme caution. Have fun and happy (and safe) hacking!

This is a very sensitive system folder that contains Phone-specific information such as the IMEI (encrypted in the nv_data.bin), wireless devices MAC addresses, product code (also in the nv_data.bin), and much more. Often users trying to change product codes or trying to unlock the mobile will end up corrupting data in this location.
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/backup-and-restore-your-efs-folder-on-samsung-devices/
Nuff said

vijai2011

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 24, 2011
Moderators close this thread asap.Its illegal to change your IMEI by yourself.Only the phone manufacturer has rights to do it.

Top Liked Posts