[Q] Link2SD CM7 v1.9 hf3 i5500

Search This thread

derrend

Jan 2, 2012
Sheffield
Sorry if i sound like a noob but can i take advantage of the ext3 partition on my SD using this version of CM?

I partitioned my SD using clockworkmod, which is why it's ext3.

only app i've tried is Link2SD but when i tell it there is an ext3 partition on the card it creates a script and asks me to reboot.
Once that's done and i access the app again it goes through the same motions and informs me that - "if im seeing this message then the partition is unable to be mounted during boot"

Appreciate any help :)

thinkfreedom

Mar 14, 2011
Kathmandu
Here's a quick way to install Link2sd.

I preassume that your device is rooted and your sdcard data is backed up.I think,the mount script didn't work because of inappropriate attributes.:p.Ok heres,how i installed Link2sd...
1.First of all download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard in your windows PC.
Connect your handset to the PC via USB.
2.Launch MiniTool Partition,you should see your SDcard mentioned in the list Under Disk 2 probably.
3.Right click your SDcard mentioned in the list, press "Move/Resize Partition"
4.In the Partition size,allocate bigger chunk of partition for primary partition.This is the partition your phone will access for general purpose.Say you allocate 7GB from your 8GB memory card.
Click OK.
5.Now Under disk 2. you will see and unpartitioned space of about 1GB.This partition will be used by link2sd.You may allocate your sdcard as you may wish.
6.Right click the upartitioned space to create a new partition under "Create As".If a warning popup asks for permission click YES.
7.Under New window Create As,choose "Primary".For File System type choose 'FAT32'.though you may choose among ext3 or ext4,either is supported by link2sd.NTFS is not supported by Link2sd or android OS.For partition size take whole unallocated space.Click on OK
8.Click Apply button<upper left corner in the screen>.
9.Restart your phone.
Again use your Link2sd app to create mount script.Now your app should work fine.

Don't forget to hit THANKS if i helped you.:cool:

I would not suggest you to create the Link2sd partition as a FAT32 one: this way when you will connect your phone to a PC through the USB cable Windows will mount all the 2 partitions automatically (with all negative consequences you can imagine); this issue will not happen on Linux, however; while with the Link2sd partition formatted as extX you will be able to use your linked apps while the phone is connected to your PC and the first partition is mounted, it doesn't matter if you are on Linux or Windows (tested ;) )

Regarding your problem: try to tell the Link2sd script activator that your partition is an ext4 and see if it works.. I hope so, anyway let us know..

thinkfreedom

Mar 14, 2011
Kathmandu
@brainvision
yeah thanks,extX would be better..bt i think windows doesn't mount two sdcard Fat32 partition at a time.i may be wrong in this term, bt sometime back,when i used to use rooted android 2.1,windows would mount only my 1st primary partition of sdcard..however under ubuntu..both partition would load bt without affecting the phone apps.;)

@brainvision
yeah thanks,extX would be better..bt i think windows doesn't mount two sdcard Fat32 partition at a time.i may be wrong in this term, bt sometime back,when i used to use rooted android 2.1,windows would mount only my 1st primary partition of sdcard..however under ubuntu..both partition would load bt without affecting the phone apps.;)

oh sorry I'm not a winZoZZ user since a lot of time!! I'm a slacker now!! ;)
Regarding Linx OS: I set up my Slackware so that it doesn't auto mount external disk, so i can plug in the phone and activate the USB Mass storage without still mounting it: this way I can mount only the first partition; but in a auto-mount situation I fear that the the phone apps would be affected by USB Mass storage activation!