Towelroot

Search This thread

bigbaluka

Feb 14, 2014
Spokane Washington
Worked on I-535 With KitKat 4.4.2 NE1

Tried this on my girlfriend's totally stock S3 Android 4.4.2 KitKat NE1 with no problems at all. I then installed SuperSu v2.14 from Play Store and it updated binary and disabled KNOX. That too went perfectly... Next I promptly installed Titanium Backup Pro and froze Security policy updates SPD_v2_1403_4_1 to stop Security Update Notifications and SDM 1.0 to prevent OTAs (Thanks Franzie3!!!). After all that I began the debloating process... Didn't take long and got points with GF as i was supposed to root this thing over a year ago. Still in a little trouble for letting her bootloader get locked.:rolleyes:

jpmi23

Oct 24, 2008
Detroit-Metro
twitter.com
Just got a refurbished S3 from ebay, and it came with 4.4.2. Ran through the Towelroot and Superuser process (I used the Chainfire version). Looks like it worked! Now to Titanium out some bloat and (fingers crossed) get this thing running smooth.

Reactions: ShapesBlue

jbsmithroid

Nov 9, 2014
Need help/instructions

Hi,
I have a Verizon S3 (SCH-I535) running 4.4.2 for Android and Baseband of I535OYUDNE1...and I would like to root it.

Is there a guide somewhere (or can someone tell me how)? It seems like I can just use towelroot and should be good to go, but I'd love to have some confirmation that this won't brick or otherwise mess up my phone.

I've done some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer/instructions because I can't tell if what I'm finding is for the same android version/baseband.

Thanks!

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Hi,
I have a Verizon S3 (SCH-I535) running 4.4.2 for Android and Baseband of I535OYUDNE1...and I would like to root it.

Is there a guide somewhere (or can someone tell me how)? It seems like I can just use towelroot and should be good to go, but I'd love to have some confirmation that this won't brick or otherwise mess up my phone.

I've done some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer/instructions because I can't tell if what I'm finding is for the same android version/baseband.

Thanks!

I've read several people say that they've had success with towelroot. It's an app that gains root so I'm somewhat sure that there's no possibility of bricking it. I haven't read or seen anyone that has bricked it via this method

From my CM11 S3

I’m assuming you froze SDM 1.0 before or after you rooted, because when I defrosted SDM 1.0 while my S4 was running 4.3 rooted, the OTA worked. It updated to 4.4.2 and lost root. Thanks to geohot’s towelroot apk, I finally got it rooted again. Once again, I’m in control of my phone, instead of it being in control of me.

Dukenukemx

Jul 24, 2008
Jersey
Trying to do this for a friends Verizon Galaxy S3 as he's on AT&T now. The phone is unfortunately 4.4.2 and I really really hate Samsung right now. So there's no way to downgrade this to 4.1.2? No new method yet to unlock bootloader?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
Trying to do this for a friends Verizon Galaxy S3 as he's on AT&T now. The phone is unfortunately 4.4.2 and I really really hate Samsung right now. So there's no way to downgrade this to 4.1.2? No new method yet to unlock bootloader?

Nope, your stuck on the 4.4.2 NE1 bootloader. No way to revert it back. It's a permanent thing

Trust me this is a collaboration between Samsung and VZW

From my CM11 S3

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
I wanna play with this old S3...

My wife went to the dark side and got an iphone. I am now messing around (again) with her VZW S3.
She did an OTA to 4.4.2 and I used Towelroot to do some needed minor stuff to her phone (needed access to the sd card, primarily).

Now that this thing is mine, I removed her sim card, did a factory reset and installed root checker. apparently, root survived the factory reset! phone is still on 4.4.2.

I basically want to use it as a mini wifi tablet. Really basic stuff. play a few games, listen to Pandora thru blutooth (via wifi), check email. surf the web.
I'd like to never see the "No Sim Card" message, too!

before I start making mistakes, can anyone steer me right?

What can I do with this thing now? can I flash recovery and a rom? Do i even need to?
I've installed Nova launcher because I hate touchwiz. this thing is a blank slate.

Thanks very much for your help.

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
My wife went to the dark side and got an iphone. I am now messing around (again) with her VZW S3.
She did an OTA to 4.4.2 and I used Towelroot to do some needed minor stuff to her phone (needed access to the sd card, primarily).

Now that this thing is mine, I removed her sim card, did a factory reset and installed root checker. apparently, root survived the factory reset! phone is still on 4.4.2.

I basically want to use it as a mini wifi tablet. Really basic stuff. play a few games, listen to Pandora thru blutooth (via wifi), check email. surf the web.
I'd like to never see the "No Sim Card" message, too!

before I start making mistakes, can anyone steer me right?

What can I do with this thing now? can I flash recovery and a rom? Do i even need to?
I've installed Nova launcher because I hate touchwiz. this thing is a blank slate.

Thanks very much for your help.

You can only flash safestrap as a recovery, your options are very limited with roms. The only roms available are bootloader locked roms

Sent from my Nexus 5

idivorceyou

Mar 24, 2011
You can only flash safestrap as a recovery, your options are very limited with roms. The only roms available are bootloader locked roms

Sent from my Nexus 5

thanks so much. just the information I was seeking.
gonna safestrap, install a basic rom and get to it!

Is there any way to shut down all telephony stuff and sim card alerts?

Last edited:

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
thanks so much. just the information I was seeking.
gonna safestrap, install a basic rom and get to it!

Is there any way to shut down all telephony stuff and sim card alerts?

Sure there is. I am nearly sure there is an xposed module for the sim card issue and just use something like titanium backup to freeze unneeded apps

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: idivorceyou

MustangLife03

Jan 25, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
stock sch-l535 kitkat never been rooted

So i want to mod my girl friends s 3. My phone is a zte max phablet 4.4.2 deodexed rooted, xposed framework and scripts but ive gotten bored and wanna tackle the s3. So i know the bootloader is locked now and towelroot is an option for me correct ? I didnt know you could root a phone with a locked bootloader. If i can i have a few questions.

1. With towel root do i need to install supersu from the play store or is that included in the root process.

2. With the s3 bootloader locked does that mean i just cant install a custom rom? And all other possibilities are still availabIe? Xposed framework especially?

3. Is safestrap a custom recovery like philz (cwd) or is it something that allows me to install a custom rom with a locked bootloader.

Sorry for so many questions but theres not as much up to date info on the s3 cause there isnt many un rooted s3 s hanging around anyway. And most s3 guides and tutorials ive seen are updating to kitkat and keeping root or 4.1 stuff.

Thanks in advance

Josh

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
So i want to mod my girl friends s 3. My phone is a zte max phablet 4.4.2 deodexed rooted, xposed framework and scripts but ive gotten bored and wanna tackle the s3. So i know the bootloader is locked now and towelroot is an option for me correct ? I didnt know you could root a phone with a locked bootloader. If i can i have a few questions.

1. With towel root do i need to install supersu from the play store or is that included in the root process.

2. With the s3 bootloader locked does that mean i just cant install a custom rom? And all other possibilities are still availabIe? Xposed framework especially?

3. Is safestrap a custom recovery like philz (cwd) or is it something that allows me to install a custom rom with a locked bootloader.

Sorry for so many questions but theres not as much up to date info on the s3 cause there isnt many un rooted s3 s hanging around anyway. And most s3 guides and tutorials ive seen are updating to kitkat and keeping root or 4.1 stuff.

Thanks in advance

Josh

No problem about the questions. It's always good to ask

1. I would recommend supersu from the play store

2. Yes that's correct, no custom roms. There are bootloader locked roms that you can install, I want to say there are two or three roms available

3. As far as safestrap it's a recovery but I'm unsure if its like philz or cwm at all. I'd imagine it's based off of one of the other recoveries

Any other questions feel free to ask

Sent from my Nexus 5

MustangLife03

Jan 25, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I just tried installing towelroot and im getting an there was a problem parsing the package. I have unknown sources enabled already.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

i got it rooted i installed es file explorer and it worked fine. I was getting errors with loader droid which she already had installed which sucked. Thanks for the help. Ill install safe strap if i can flash zips from it.

Off topic my room mate has a htc desire 510 the newer htc that boost sells with a locked bootloader also so towelroot might just be able to root it also?

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
I just tried installing towelroot and im getting an there was a problem parsing the package. I have unknown sources enabled already.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

i got it rooted i installed es file explorer and it worked fine. I was getting errors with loader droid which she already had installed which sucked. Thanks for the help. Ill install safe strap if i can flash zips from it.

Off topic my room mate has a htc desire 510 the newer htc that boost sells with a locked bootloader also so towelroot might just be able to root it also?

You can try it out, it won't hurt to do it. Worst case scenario is it won't work

Sent from my Nexus 5

landshark68

Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Will this ever be supported to work on HTC one m7 running 4.4.2?

No. If you Google GeoHot and towelroot, I'm sure you will find links letting you know GeoHot now works for Google and neither he nor anyone else is doing anything to update towelroot. Beside that, the vulnerability towelroot exploited has been patched. So there is nothing to update. This topic has been beaten to death worse than a dead horse.

nightevo89

Mar 11, 2015
bonham tx
No. If you Google GeoHot and towelroot, I'm sure you will find links letting you know GeoHot now works for Google and neither he nor anyone else is doing anything to update towelroot. Beside that, the vulnerability towelroot exploited has been patched. So there is nothing to update. This topic has been beaten to death worse than a dead horse.
I know who george hotz is....he used to work for facebook in 2011 and last summer Google hired him for there software security auditing Team but why is he still accepting donations thru paypal and bitcoin if he no longer suppports towelroot? Just a curious question!!!! thanks!!!!

ShapesBlue

May 9, 2012
I know who george hotz is....he used to work for facebook in 2011 and last summer Google hired him for there software security auditing Team but why is he still accepting donations thru paypal and bitcoin if he no longer suppports towelroot? Just a curious question!!!! thanks!!!!

He probably just forgot to take that down

Sent from my Nexus 5

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157 I tried this and it worked... Its an apk... Basically a 1 touch root and I verified it with root checker... :Good

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I'm presuming unrooting before accepting any further updates should they ever happen. :eek:
    Whatever you do do not take another OTA update no matter how small. Towlroot will no longer root. The exploit has been patched. :cool:
    Why does the bootloader need to be unlocked if the device is rooted? Tell me what I'm missing.

Root but locked bootloader means no custom recovery which means no AOSP ROMs, no custom TW kernels, and no flashing custom TW ROMs the traditional way. The only option available would eventually be safestrap which can only run 4.2 TW ML1 based custom ROMs at the moment. There is currently no way to unlock the bootloader on 4.3 TW, and safe to say it will remain that way on 4.4.2.
    This still dont allow us to downgrade right? Just gives us root?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Free mobile app

If you want to downgrade you need to unlock your bootloader which isn't possible on the 4.3 update.
    Will this ever be supported to work on HTC one m7 running 4.4.2?