[APP][Android 2.3+] Simplest Reminder

Would you get upset if I introduced ads in my free app?

• No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A little, but I would keep the app

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Yes, and I would uninstall the app

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
I forget things quite easily so I have been using my phone for years to help me remember about certain tasks I need to do. I tried few applications but did not fall in love with any. They are often too complex and require too many steps to create a reminder / note.
Therefore I decided to make my own. I learned the basics of Android development and spent 2 months developing "Simplest Reminder". I was working on and off and only during my free time which was just a few hours a day at most.

Without further delay I present my first android application :laugh:

It is available for free, with NO ads, in the Play Store:

Here are the screenshots:

z8WY2G44E4wISZRiT-lamwIYmJEMypUP2YSeJtCPWcDCEC3KBx42JtYD9fjRxKmJTmLg=h310-rw
Ul78YyMjPKleH-5TpJOflfHNomMO6Zjxv8IJ_aCyu10xr7Gd-4k4sqWW8xI7lqjIVA=h310-rw
YqjQS-A5evSrpLNzLR0AjJI8p6QwlDhN_U1dyTMGBbnY0xWhbxWP9lkkV-o-ptwVxd3d=h310-rw

y5PCzOX-H_3d9gba2bl__DZ7cQT9Kp7piOBwEQB-ZDNr2HQtRLLf8ykWVG_HTxTqZVw=h310-rw
yLY4tRih1KuOfTBUoue3PvoHoRFGiCFYXcL8vC5uCTCgYHdnJVV3hkPurl9tJFPDsQ=h310-rw
9wMXzs8vbWUi0aiBVhFoHMQpxg3kNvWdyEtRuWIthoR4Lx3hOmTPrhzYEVcSWNcGAjCP=h310-rw

If you notice any issues please let me know instead of leaving 1 star review. I will get back to you and solve the issue ASAP.
If you can think of any improvements don't hesitate to post them here.

Again, app is available for free without any ads here
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gadgetjudge.simplestreminder

UPDATE, May 22: I now have a donation version of my application in store. It is located here: Simplest Reminder (Donate)
If you like my application please consider buying the "donate version". Both apps have the same features so buying my app ($ 0.99) is just a way of saying Thank You for my hard work.

UPDATE, October 16 2013: Donate version has just became PRO version with new, exciting features based on user feedback. Simplicity has not been compromised but functionality has been greatly improved.
It is available at the same URL: Simplest Reminder Pro so that anybody who donated to me gets free upgrade. Thanks to the bunch of you who supported me with nice words and especially those who bought my app! I hope you all enjoy the new features

Here is a list of new features in the Pro version:
- Recurring reminders. Choose between daily, weekly, monthly, or annually
- Pop Up dialog. This can be disabled in Settings
- New, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app
- Self-repeating reminders. Reminder will repeat itself every 10 minutes so you don't miss it. This can be disabled or interval can be changed in Settings
- LED light notifications. This can also be disabled in Settings
- Swipe notification away to delete reminder. This can also be disabled in Settings
- Swipe notification away to dismiss recurring reminder
- Help screen
- Improved user interface and performance

Pro screenshots:
tURJnFMev8ssGJ1QRn35qI0b5zpgOmbBgJtkCjQkE9ylaYt_LzrdaDT2jDUXwwgsdA=h310-rw
9PIF1tnOB-1qXm8g9K28F-kt9pkgPGbbYjVmchhPg14Qn51yMyGV_0kv3D8CBxsH3zg=h310-rw
HU0bdMcUncwDPWSSAusjEDjuszOlhqk6M4_XGuCUUBgIEuKlp5hDMEl2o8V8ZohoUhjr=h310-rw

ngewO8N0-v80lnTP2l6V3NLyYcx83FS2u0wvGhppKZEBy5rly8T0eP-doA9cA0jUWhXk=h310-rw
UY4m1JiMNQ2LVXvyDz5DHrCNhpbUMM2da1oGe1PsxaP62-Y5ygwCHxEl2Vigk5NECXuv=h310-rw
PlPX8VXR8eU4IvkLSsPpEHoXXtNn8Q4FAw9jozCjU4MncMl7p0uaWiD8gyssFizWDO4=h310-rw

UPDATE, October 17: APK for free version uploaded as per user request. This is for people who can't use Google Play for any reason.

UPDATE, October 18: Version 1.8 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I refreshed the looks to be as nice as the look in the Pro version. I updated the screenshots in this thread.

UPDATE, Nov 12 2014: Version 2.1.1 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I fixed bunched of things and added minor improvements such as ability to choose more sounds.
Pro version now has Pop Up dialog option.

UPDATE, Dec 2 2014: Version 2.6.2 of the Simplest Reminder Pro has been released. I added new, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app. They make picking date and time much easier and they look great too! I attached new screenshots.

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• SimplestReminder2.1.1.apk
    416.9 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:

lurtis

Apr 14, 2012
Hey this looks great! Gonna download right now and test for you.

I love the example you showed... "PAY YOUR BILLS!" hahaha

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app

Reactions: kml.krk

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Hey Teadious. What country are you in, if I may ask. I can enable it. For now only US and Poland are enabled. The reason is that my app uses this time format: 12/25/2013 which is standard in the US but not other countries (not even in Poland but I enabled Poland because other tester is there :D )

Thanks again for your interest.

EDIT: I enabled ALL countries. It will take couple hours for the changes to take effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJellybean

_Variable

Jun 10, 2012
Manila
Thanks, nice app.

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
I spent few hours recently trying to find a very frustrating bug in my application that was causing reminders not to go off under certain circumstances.
I found a potential issue, fixed it and pushed updated version 1.2 to the Google Play yesterday.

I really hope that it will permanently fix it! However, if for any reason a reminder doesn't go off for you it would be very helpful if you could provide some details here or PM me (version 1.2 and up only).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just pushed version 1.3 to the market because there still was a bug. Third time a charm... Hope it is gone for good!

Last edited:

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York
Today I pushed 2 updates to the market.
Version 1.4 is meant to put an end to the mysterious bug causing reminders not to go off (I am 100% confident I nailed it this time and it turns out it was not even a bug but rather a missing feature, lol - simply put, the alarms were not set after phone reboot [Android OS removes all alarms on phone reboot])
Version 1.5 introduces new option in the settings panel - now you can decide if screen should be turned on when reminder goes off.

walda

Apr 2, 2010
Thanks for sharing your work!

A nice feature would be, if we can decide Yes/no Notification Sound per reminder.

So one is with notification sound as set up in settings, one without because of not beeing so important.

Reactions: virus786

kml.krk

May 11, 2008
New York

A nice feature would be, if we can decide Yes/no Notification Sound per reminder.

So one is with notification sound as set up in settings, one without because of not beeing so important.

While this is a nice feature, I don't think I will be implementing anything that would add complexity or increase number of taps required to create a reminder. The main goal of my application is being the simplest to use out of all reminder applications in the market.

There are many great applications in the market that have all that complexity and extra features including colors, note priority, sound per reminder, vibration per reminder, repeatable reminders etc. The reason why I don't use those apps is because setting up a reminder takes a minute or so.

I realize that limiting the number of features in my app may turn some users away but at the same time I am confident that it will be appealing to users who expect mobile apps to be simple and intuitive to use.

With all that being said, I really appreciate your feedback and please keep it coming. I may actually build another application based on Simplest Reminder that would have whole bunch of additional features.

Bunecarera

Mar 4, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Nice app, but how hard would it be to add some sort of calender view when picking a date?
So instead of scrolling, you just tap the date/day.

Would that make the app more complex?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I forget things quite easily so I have been using my phone for years to help me remember about certain tasks I need to do. I tried few applications but did not fall in love with any. They are often too complex and require too many steps to create a reminder / note.
    Therefore I decided to make my own. I learned the basics of Android development and spent 2 months developing "Simplest Reminder". I was working on and off and only during my free time which was just a few hours a day at most.

Without further delay I present my first android application :laugh:

It is available for free, with NO ads, in the Play Store:

Here are the screenshots:

z8WY2G44E4wISZRiT-lamwIYmJEMypUP2YSeJtCPWcDCEC3KBx42JtYD9fjRxKmJTmLg=h310-rw
    Ul78YyMjPKleH-5TpJOflfHNomMO6Zjxv8IJ_aCyu10xr7Gd-4k4sqWW8xI7lqjIVA=h310-rw
    YqjQS-A5evSrpLNzLR0AjJI8p6QwlDhN_U1dyTMGBbnY0xWhbxWP9lkkV-o-ptwVxd3d=h310-rw

y5PCzOX-H_3d9gba2bl__DZ7cQT9Kp7piOBwEQB-ZDNr2HQtRLLf8ykWVG_HTxTqZVw=h310-rw
    yLY4tRih1KuOfTBUoue3PvoHoRFGiCFYXcL8vC5uCTCgYHdnJVV3hkPurl9tJFPDsQ=h310-rw
    9wMXzs8vbWUi0aiBVhFoHMQpxg3kNvWdyEtRuWIthoR4Lx3hOmTPrhzYEVcSWNcGAjCP=h310-rw

If you notice any issues please let me know instead of leaving 1 star review. I will get back to you and solve the issue ASAP.
    If you can think of any improvements don't hesitate to post them here.

Again, app is available for free without any ads here
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gadgetjudge.simplestreminder

UPDATE, May 22: I now have a donation version of my application in store. It is located here: Simplest Reminder (Donate)
    If you like my application please consider buying the "donate version". Both apps have the same features so buying my app ($ 0.99) is just a way of saying Thank You for my hard work.

UPDATE, October 16 2013: Donate version has just became PRO version with new, exciting features based on user feedback. Simplicity has not been compromised but functionality has been greatly improved.
    It is available at the same URL: Simplest Reminder Pro so that anybody who donated to me gets free upgrade. Thanks to the bunch of you who supported me with nice words and especially those who bought my app! I hope you all enjoy the new features

Here is a list of new features in the Pro version:
    - Recurring reminders. Choose between daily, weekly, monthly, or annually
    - Pop Up dialog. This can be disabled in Settings
    - New, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app
    - Self-repeating reminders. Reminder will repeat itself every 10 minutes so you don't miss it. This can be disabled or interval can be changed in Settings
    - LED light notifications. This can also be disabled in Settings
    - Swipe notification away to delete reminder. This can also be disabled in Settings
    - Swipe notification away to dismiss recurring reminder
    - Help screen
    - Improved user interface and performance

Pro screenshots:
    tURJnFMev8ssGJ1QRn35qI0b5zpgOmbBgJtkCjQkE9ylaYt_LzrdaDT2jDUXwwgsdA=h310-rw
    9PIF1tnOB-1qXm8g9K28F-kt9pkgPGbbYjVmchhPg14Qn51yMyGV_0kv3D8CBxsH3zg=h310-rw
    HU0bdMcUncwDPWSSAusjEDjuszOlhqk6M4_XGuCUUBgIEuKlp5hDMEl2o8V8ZohoUhjr=h310-rw

ngewO8N0-v80lnTP2l6V3NLyYcx83FS2u0wvGhppKZEBy5rly8T0eP-doA9cA0jUWhXk=h310-rw
    UY4m1JiMNQ2LVXvyDz5DHrCNhpbUMM2da1oGe1PsxaP62-Y5ygwCHxEl2Vigk5NECXuv=h310-rw
    PlPX8VXR8eU4IvkLSsPpEHoXXtNn8Q4FAw9jozCjU4MncMl7p0uaWiD8gyssFizWDO4=h310-rw

UPDATE, October 17: APK for free version uploaded as per user request. This is for people who can't use Google Play for any reason.

UPDATE, October 18: Version 1.8 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I refreshed the looks to be as nice as the look in the Pro version. I updated the screenshots in this thread.

UPDATE, Nov 12 2014: Version 2.1.1 of the Simplest Reminder Free has been released. I fixed bunched of things and added minor improvements such as ability to choose more sounds.
    Pro version now has Pop Up dialog option.

UPDATE, Dec 2 2014: Version 2.6.2 of the Simplest Reminder Pro has been released. I added new, analog style Time and Date pickers inspired by Google Calendar's app. They make picking date and time much easier and they look great too! I attached new screenshots.

Thanks for your interest!

While this is a nice feature, I don't think I will be implementing anything that would add complexity or increase number of taps required to create a reminder. The main goal of my application is being the simplest to use out of all reminder applications in the market.

There are many great applications in the market that have all that complexity and extra features including colors, note priority, sound per reminder, vibration per reminder, repeatable reminders etc. The reason why I don't use those apps is because setting up a reminder takes a minute or so.

I realize that limiting the number of features in my app may turn some users away but at the same time I am confident that it will be appealing to users who expect mobile apps to be simple and intuitive to use.

With all that being said, I really appreciate your feedback and please keep it coming. I may actually build another application based on Simplest Reminder that would have whole bunch of additional features.
    Today I pushed 2 updates to the market.
    Version 1.4 is meant to put an end to the mysterious bug causing reminders not to go off (I am 100% confident I nailed it this time and it turns out it was not even a bug but rather a missing feature, lol - simply put, the alarms were not set after phone reboot [Android OS removes all alarms on phone reboot])
    Version 1.5 introduces new option in the settings panel - now you can decide if screen should be turned on when reminder goes off.
    I spent few hours recently trying to find a very frustrating bug in my application that was causing reminders not to go off under certain circumstances.
    I found a potential issue, fixed it and pushed updated version 1.2 to the Google Play yesterday.

I really hope that it will permanently fix it! However, if for any reason a reminder doesn't go off for you it would be very helpful if you could provide some details here or PM me (version 1.2 and up only).

Thanks!

EDIT: Just pushed version 1.3 to the market because there still was a bug. Third time a charm... Hope it is gone for good!
    I love this app! :cyclops: