[Q] Getting longer battery life out of your note 2

Search This thread

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
I have tried many options to try and anazlyze the best optimization for battery life out of my galaxy note 2 ..I noticed that when I was getting almost 2 days of battery life was when I had power saving mode enabled and I also had nova launcher installed but than I got to thinking that I wanted to give Touchwiz more of a chance because it is actually quite fluid and the animation is nice at 1x or .05x ...I was reading in threads that some users were not using power saving mode because it takes away from the beast of performance the note 2 possesses ...So my question is unlike other battery saving threads im not necessarily want pictures of your usage I want scenarios of what you ( the community of note 2 users) do to optimize and save battery life .... I will say that I am using cleanrom 3.5 I had 4.0.5 but I did not like that it took away some of the functions I liked ...So Ultimately I just want some advice on how to save battery life I have sync disabled and gps disabled but I keep google now enabled because its awesome ..I just need some advice and reccomendations please help im tired or buying apps that promise to save battery life only to find that they dont do much the most recent app I am trying and it sounds promising is DS Battery Saver and it seems promising because it actually turns off all background applications and wifi and data but wouldn't that do more harm than good to turn off background apps ,wifi and data ..

Agent

Feb 5, 2013
Have you ever thought about buying a bigger battery?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium HD app

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Yes I have considered but I feel that I would like to try and explore the current options available to me seeing so many positive posy by other members saying there getting lots of battery life just out of the box without upgrading the battery, the battery on this thing is huge ,3100 ma ...Are these people keeping power saving mode on to gain the extra battery difference because I do notice a huge improvment in battery life when I put it in power saving mode but im thinking the people that are getting two days of battery life out of there device do not have power saving mode enabled

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Not only that but I see screen time on some guys are at 8 hours screen time and still have like 50% battery or 6 hrs and have 68% battery thats insane ...I used my phone heavily today I had screen time on for about 6 hours and about two hours of phone calls and than alot of tweaking and trying options so restarting the phone drains the living crap out of this beast...So maybe ill try minimal use tomorrow and see what happens maybe ill see a difference I dont want to have to use ds battery saver most battery saving apps are crap claiming to help but in actually run in the background monitoring everything so it only enhances the battery draining issue or your phone will not go into deep sleep

purged363506

Jan 23, 2013
I disabled haptic feedback. Keep the screen on auto.

Flashed perseus and am using a overclock/undervolt profile for stweaks from the thread that is here in general. There is a stweaks guide and stweaks profile thread if your interested.

Went through and froze or removed all startup and running services I didn't need. No sync apps that don't use push.

Anyway, that's what I did and get pretty good battery life.

Betterbatterystats isn't bloat either. It's pretty crucial if you want to troubleshoot power issues. I've used that as a reference for everything

In the end though, batteries are cheap. You can get 2 ankers and a charger for 20 on Amazon and they are great quality.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Yes I am definitely intrested in sweaks Ive never heard of it and as far as freezing apps no problem there I just am afraid that if I freeze apps like Google Maps than my Google Now will not properly work I dont snyc anything if I want to sync I do it manually but im not familiar with what you mean by push ? Also i feel to under skilled when it comes to freezing certain background apps like Google Maps I noticed alot or the bulk of my battery drain comes from Location settings I have most of my apps not location enabled but if I were to say freeze google maps wouldnt that effect how Google Now operates ?

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Also do you use a certain browser that uses less battery or is that a bit overboard I use mainly stock browser but I also have google chome because its fast and simple I use stock browser when I need to watch flash content and I use chrome when I want things simplified but I find myself using google chrome less and less I heard Opera makes a very nice simple browser ..What browser do you use most often for battery life or does it not matter much ...Oh and if you could possibly send me the link to stweaks I would greatly appreciate it ...
Thanks

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
Yes I am definitely intrested in sweaks Ive never heard of it and as far as freezing apps no problem there I just am afraid that if I freeze apps like Google Maps than my Google Now will not properly work I dont snyc anything if I want to sync I do it manually but im not familiar with what you mean by push ? Also i feel to under skilled when it comes to freezing certain background apps like Google Maps I noticed alot or the bulk of my battery drain comes from Location settings I have most of my apps not location enabled but if I were to say freeze google maps wouldnt that effect how Google Now operates ?

You can get an app called juice defender. You can set it up to turn wifi/data/bluetooth/gps off when you turn the screen off. You can set schedules to sync emails and other apps every 5, 10, 15, 30, or 60 minutes.. I have the pro version so I can control my entire phone..

If location settings is draining your battery, turn GPS off.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
So do you also keep power saving mode on your note 2 enabled ? or do you keep that off ..Also is there a video tutorial on how to use Juice Defender properly because I never fully understood some of its features do you have just the basic juice defender, the plus or the ultimate im only asking because I want to know if having juice defender plus will do the trick or do i need the ultimate to take full advantage ?

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
I only ask this because I already have juice defender plus on the note 2 but I have yet to use it on the note 2

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
So do you also keep power saving mode on your note 2 enabled ? or do you keep that off ..Also is there a video tutorial on how to use Juice Defender properly because I never fully understood some of its features do you have just the basic juice defender, the plus or the ultimate im only asking because I want to know if having juice defender plus will do the trick or do i need the ultimate to take full advantage ?

I leave my power saving off when I use my phone. Ultimate juice defender has all of the features you need. I don't know of any videos, but I know how to set it up, just ask your questions.

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Okay I'll give it a go so do you experience any battery drain in a 8 hour Window that's typically how long I sleep I was just curious Edgar percentage is lost within 8 hours with phone on deep sleep

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
Okay I'll give it a go so do you experience any battery drain in a 8 hour Window that's typically how long I sleep I was just curious Edgar percentage is lost within 8 hours with phone on deep sleep

I lose a percent about every 3 hours. Maybe 4.

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Are you able to tailor jd to work for you during the day as well I already juice defender plus is that enough or would you say get the ultimate ?

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
What I mean during the day is when you have your phone on (on screen time ) are you able to signifiicantly reduce your anount of battery drain

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
Do you use the ultimate ? And also have you heard of ds battery saver alot like juice defenfer you can pick and choose which apps you want to run in the background I am only having a problem with network location locator but than I realized if I disable in location settingd wifi and data enabled than my accuweather touch wiiz widget does not update

ChaoticWeaponry

Oct 23, 2011
Do you use the ultimate ? And also have you heard of ds battery saver alot like juice defenfer you can pick and choose which apps you want to run in the background I am only having a problem with network location locator but than I realized if I disable in location settingd wifi and data enabled than my accuweather touch wiiz widget does not update

Apps running in the background don't use battery unless they sync a lot. You should be able to manually set location in weather apps.. and juice defender ultimate has the ability to set night schedules, control brightness, cpu, gps, network modes, etc. I have mine set up to sync apps every 30 minutes and then keep data and wifi off. You can also set traffic limits up too, so when the screen turns off, you can have data/wifi stay enabled if you are downloading something.

Reactions: mindtrust1

mindtrust1

Dec 26, 2012
If I am using the stock weather and time widget that comes on the galaxy note 2 is it a signifigant amount of battery saving if I have it set to just one location and if you dont mind me asking how do I set it up for it to be set to one lication also if I have weather showing on the lock screen with that use even more battery I mean if its running than it shouldnt effect it if I have it on lock screen and home screen...My last question is regarding location settings that seems to be my biggest battery drain. I like using google now but I noticed if I disable in location settings data and wifi I save a ton of battery life ...I was trying to figure out how to disable maybe certain apps that are tracking my location or if I should just disable wifi and data location but than google now doesnt perform properly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ^take a breath, brotha.

Obsessing over battery life is like a rocking chair: gives you something to do but nowhere to go...

If it's that big of a concern to you, might I suggest the hybrid phenomenon known as "extended batteries". WARNING: you will have a turtle in a half-shell afterwards, aka Ford Festiva phone.

Okay last question do you keep google now enabled and no thanks to the humpback battery im good off that ..if I disabled ceerain cards wont help with battery life because goodle will still track all the data its just a matter of keeping google now on or off because that is a significant juice saver ...so google now on or off on your phone

I leave google now on, but it depends on whether you would use it or not. I like having the various cards and reminders, etc. so I leave it on. You are right though, enabling/disabling individual cards won't do anything different to battery. Even with Google Now on though, I haven't found myself looking at my battery during the day.

What you can do though, is go into Latitude (Maps>Latitude>Locations Settings) and disable the share location history and "update from this device" options. Google Now will still detect your location, but if you're okay with not looking at where you were the last few days (Location History) I've found it saves a little bit of juice. I don't need to know I went to work and a happy hour yesterday.

I remember the humpback batteries - had one on my TBolt for about a week, but couldn't stand it. Humpbacks are for whales and bell-ringers.
    This phone has more than enough battery life on a charge. No need to purchase the Fiesta upgrade package.

Sent From My Beans Powered Note2

Apps running in the background don't use battery unless they sync a lot. You should be able to manually set location in weather apps.. and juice defender ultimate has the ability to set night schedules, control brightness, cpu, gps, network modes, etc. I have mine set up to sync apps every 30 minutes and then keep data and wifi off. You can also set traffic limits up too, so when the screen turns off, you can have data/wifi stay enabled if you are downloading something.

I guess I was just spoiled coming from the Galaxy Nexus where I had to keep a spare battery with me at all times even when I underclocked the crap out of it and still couldn't make it a whole day. Lol
    I could GAF now, over clock keep everything enabled and use the heck out of it then just charge at nite. A whole day with 6+ hours screen on is just fine with me!!!!
    I love the performance to battery life on this phone!