[KERNEL][A510/A700][07/30] Z-Kernel Beta

Search This thread

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Welcome to Z-Kernel's thread!

Features
- Base kernel fully updated to linux-tegra-nv-3.1 (bug fixes & performance improvements)
- Simplified board codes
- Cleaned up Acer specific code

Changelog
r2:
- Restarted kernel development (r1's features not implemented yet)
- Base kernel fully updated to linux-tegra-nv-3.1 (bug fixes & performance improvements)
- Simplified board codes

r1:
- CPU OC to 1.6 ghz by default (should be stable)
- GPU OC support up to 700MHz (default is 520 mhz)
- Overclocked LP core from 500 to 620 mhz
- Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
- Dynamic FSYNC
- Optimized KSM
- Optimized ZRAM
- Compiled using latest Linaro toolchain with optimized compiler flags
- Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
- Glibc memcpy and memmove
- Deadline improvements for solid state drives
- Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
- Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
- Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
- Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
- allow use of an I/O controller's native max block size
- Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
- timer: optimize apply_slack()
- Optimized crypto algorithms
- Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
- LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
- Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
- Many scheduler improvements and optimizations
- updated bcmdhd driver (wifi)
- over 450 changes committed, so the above list isn't complete

Complete list of changes can be found in the commit log: https://github.com/Ziyann/android_kernel_acer_t30

I'm not responsible if anything bad happens with your device!

This build has been tested on CM11 only, so if you run into something with other ROMs, report it and I will see what I need to change to cooperate with it.

XDA:DevDB Information
Z-Kernel, Kernel for the Acer Iconia A700 and A510

Contributors
Ziyan
Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
Current Stable Version: R2
Stable Release Date: 2014-07-30

Created 2014-09-23
Last Updated 2014-09-23

Attachments

• z-kernel-r1.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 768
  • z-kernel-r2-a510.zip
    4.6 MB · Views: 446
  • z-kernel-r2-a700.zip
    4 MB · Views: 1,131
Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
it is indeed slow. even when completely debloated plus stripped of "essential" system components that I personally do not use. I will try this right away. will report back within an hour in this post.

@Ziyan
it boots, runs, everything seems standard. not seeing any performance increases though. same ol' 10 to 15 fps :( is there anything more you wish for me to test with it? I replaced this tab a while ago with galaxy note pro 12.2 so I can't really use it enough to check for random reboots

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziyan

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
@Ziyan
it boots, runs, everything seems standard. not seeing any performance increases though. same ol' 10 to 15 fps :( is there anything more you wish for me to test with it? I replaced this tab a while ago with galaxy note pro 12.2 so I can't really use it enough to check for random reboots

Thanks, that's good, it means I can continue improving it. I need to check the kernel periodically after a big bunch of commits, because if something gets broken, it can be hard to find what causes it if from a thousand things :) I'll push a new version and changelog later today or tomorrow.

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
sounds good. quote this post when it's uploaded, it'll send me am email notification and I can get right on it.

Here's a new version. Before testing it, please make some benchmarks with the previous version (mainly 3D), because - if everything works as it should -, the GPU is now working at 520 mhz instead of 416. It should also have CPU overclocking and voltage control support, so please install Trickster Mod, or something like that from Play Store to see if it works (screenshots are welcome). If it works (i'd be a bit surprised lol it was too easy), please run some benchmarks again to see if there's a noticeable difference. I've got 12 pages of commits waiting to be merged, so yeah, if something got broken, I better fix it now :silly:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sterist

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Here's a new version. Before testing it, please make some benchmarks with the previous version (mainly 3D), because - if everything works as it should -, the GPU is now working at 520 mhz instead of 416. It should also have CPU overclocking and voltage control support, so please install Trickster Mod, or something like that from Play Store to see if it works (screenshots are welcome). If it works (i'd be a bit surprised lol it was too easy), please run some benchmarks again to see if there's a noticeable difference. I've got 12 pages of commits waiting to be merged, so yeah, if something got broken, I better fix it now :silly:

just woke up and leaving for work in 20 minutes. when I get there and settle in (about an hour and 20min from this post) I'll test it

which benchmark though, antutu?

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Yeah, antutu will do, just note the invidual points :)

woah woah... I just went to download the second version and the tab was dead from 77% last night, still warm.

there's a wake problem, screen will turn on one time after booting up but only that one time

and a sleep problem, after manually turning the screen off it will not turn back on (and kills battery very quickly!)

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
woah woah... I just went to download the second version and the tab was dead from 77% last night, still warm.

there's a wake problem, screen will turn on one time after booting up but only that one time

and a sleep problem, after manually turning the screen off it will not turn back on (and kills battery very quickly!)

Thanks for the report, I'll investigate the problem tomorrow (it's 01:30 AM here :silly:). If you could take a dmesg (while turning the screen off, then trying to turn it back on), or last_kmsg, that would be great help! If you don't know how, refer to section 2 and 3: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520508

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Thanks for the report, I'll investigate the problem tomorrow (it's 01:30 AM here :silly:). If you could take a dmesg (while turning the screen off, then trying to turn it back on), or last_kmsg, that would be great help! If you don't know how, refer to section 2 and 3: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1520508

higher score / lower 3D performance is v1
lower score / higher 3D is v0

recent apps cleared and CPU set to 1400 performance and ROW

no app gives OC/UV options with v1

I don't have access to a pc at work so can't run dmesg properly for this, and I'm having trouble reproducing the sleep crash now :(

this is probably all exactly what you did not want me to say lol

edit: so, I got it to crash again (yay!) but can't get klast to work (read only fs) I tried mounting various directories as RW but honestly I have no idea which to do... and here's dmesg which may or may not contain what you need.

I know it might be a little early to ask but any chance you could implement Frandom? :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-04-14-40-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-04-14-40-39.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot_2014-04-04-14-40-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-04-14-40-32.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot_2014-04-04-17-31-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-04-17-31-10.png
    100.9 KB · Views: 244
  • dmesg.txt
    82.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_2014-04-04-17-42-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-04-17-42-21.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
(cut)
edit: so, I got it to crash again (yay!) but can't get klast to work (read only fs) I tried mounting various directories as RW but honestly I have no idea which to do... and here's dmesg which may or may not contain what you need.

I know it might be a little early to ask but any chance you could implement Frandom? :D

Thanks for the detailed report, I think I revert Franco's hotplugging driver for now, seems like it's on a rampage. May try again in the future.
As for the last_kmsg, your first command was correct, it's just that it doesn't always get created.
We'll see about Frandom when we get things working nice :)

Here's a build with the stock hotplugging driver, report back if it still crashes.

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Thanks for the detailed report, I think I revert Franco's hotplugging driver for now, seems like it's on a rampage. May try again in the future.
As for the last_kmsg, your first command was correct, it's just that it doesn't always get created.
We'll see about Frandom when we get things working nice :)

Here's a build with the stock hotplugging driver, report back if it still crashes.

ok I let it idle for about 30 minutes (that was enough to crash every time I left it alone at work) and so good so far.

still no OC/UV though

edit... idle 2 more hours and no problems

Last edited:

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
ok I let it idle for about 30 minutes (that was enough to crash every time I left it alone at work) and so good so far.

still no OC/UV though

edit... idle 2 more hours and no problems

Great, let's see if CPU OC/UV works with this one. If it does, don't forget to run a benchmark, as GPU OC didn't work till now :)

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Great, let's see if CPU OC/UV works with this one. If it does, don't forget to run a benchmark, as GPU OC didn't work till now :)

still no CPU OC/UV. also, that 52mhz step has never worked on any ROM or kernel I've tried, that may extend battery life

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-05-02-46-42.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-02-46-42.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2014-04-05-02-51-57.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-02-51-57.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 200

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
still no CPU OC/UV. also, that 52mhz step has never worked on any ROM or kernel I've tried, that may extend battery life

Ok, it must work now.
About 52 mhz, it's so low that any small background work would ramp up the CPU to hispeed_freq, so in the end, it would shorten battery life. The same thing happens with Galaxy Nexus if we go down to 180 mhz, which is a lot, compared to 52 mhz ;)

I've added about 200 commits since your last try (this is a great daily activity :silly:), the kernel is getting to be on pair with a Nexus 7 kernel soon if we get OC/UV and some more extra things working :highfive:

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
Ok, it must work now.
About 52 mhz, it's so low that any small background work would ramp up the CPU to hispeed_freq, so in the end, it would shorten battery life. The same thing happens with Galaxy Nexus if we go down to 180 mhz, which is a lot, compared to 52 mhz ;)

I've added about 200 commits since your last try (this is a great daily activity :silly:), the kernel is getting to be on pair with a Nexus 7 kernel soon if we get OC/UV and some more extra things working :highfive:

ok so UV menu now loads but doesn't look to work quite right - not usable. this is the menu I was looking for that did not load before :)

OC still does not work though

about 52 (51 actually) every time it is selected, after I leave the screen and come back 102 becomes the selected minimum automatically, even if lock frequency at 51 :(

need benchmark? and ty ty your time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-05-11-58-08.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-11-58-08.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot_2014-04-05-11-58-01.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-11-58-01.png
    163.3 KB · Views: 180

Ziyan

Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
ok so UV menu now loads but doesn't look to work quite right - not usable. this is the menu I was looking for that did not load before :)

OC still does not work though

about 52 (51 actually) every time it is selected, after I leave the screen and come back 102 becomes the selected minimum automatically, even if lock frequency at 51 :(

need benchmark? and ty ty your time!

At least we're making progress :good: try this one, and also try trickster mod (specific and general menu).

Benchmarks are welcome, those 200 commits should improve performance a bit, though I think most of them can only be seen in real usage (low memory killer, zram, ...) :p

Last edited:

Sterist

Sep 30, 2011
Galaxy S, quadrant 2
At least we're making progress :good: try this one, and also try trickster mod (specific and general menu).

Benchmarks are welcome, those 200 commits should improve performance a bit, though I think most of them can only be seen in real usage (low memory killer, zram, ...) :p

bootloop, won't get past Acer logo

benchmark is from the last kernel

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-05-14-38-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-05-14-38-17.png
    112.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to Z-Kernel's thread!

Features
    - Simplified board codes
    - Cleaned up Acer specific code

Changelog
    r2:
    - Restarted kernel development (r1's features not implemented yet)
    - Simplified board codes

r1:
    - CPU OC to 1.6 ghz by default (should be stable)
    - GPU OC support up to 700MHz (default is 520 mhz)
    - Overclocked LP core from 500 to 620 mhz
    - Custom user voltage control for CPU and Core components such as EMC, GPU, and LP (faux123)
    - Dynamic FSYNC
    - Optimized KSM
    - Optimized ZRAM
    - Compiled using latest Linaro toolchain with optimized compiler flags
    - Optimized SLUB and use SLUB by default instead of SLAB
    - Glibc memcpy and memmove
    - Deadline improvements for solid state drives
    - Proportional Rate Reduction for TCP
    - Tegra 3 variant display (faux123)
    - Optimized swahb32 byteswap helper
    - Asynchronous I/O latency improved through removal of plug in do_io_submit()
    - allow use of an I/O controller's native max block size
    - Optimized ARM RWSEM algorithm
    - timer: optimize apply_slack()
    - Optimized crypto algorithms
    - Optimized AES and SHA1 routines
    - LowMemoryKiller fixes and improvements
    - Lock performance governor to all 4 cores
    - Many scheduler improvements and optimizations
    - updated bcmdhd driver (wifi)
    - over 450 changes committed, so the above list isn't complete

Complete list of changes can be found in the commit log: https://github.com/Ziyann/android_kernel_acer_t30

I'm not responsible if anything bad happens with your device!

This build has been tested on CM11 only, so if you run into something with other ROMs, report it and I will see what I need to change to cooperate with it.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Z-Kernel, Kernel for the Acer Iconia A700 and A510

Contributors
    Ziyan
    Kernel Special Features:

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: R2
    Stable Release Date: 2014-07-30

Created 2014-09-23
    Last Updated 2014-09-23
    So far I've got OCing up to 1.5 ghz work like it should (so if you set 1.5 ghz, it will actually scale all four cores up to that freq). I'm tinkering a bit more with it, up to 1.7 ghz (that's the harder part, as I need to add some custom dvfs tables for the high freqs) would make me satisfied with the OC part of the kernel :rolleyes:
    Woohoo! Rock'n Roll :thumbup:
    Do you know when the stable version will be ready?

The A700 is here, so soon. She's with me for a week, I'm planning to fully update her kernel to tegra-l4t-r16-16.4 (which is the last official 3.1 kernel for tegra 3) in the following day(s), so that will be the first stable version. :fingers-crossed:
    any news of this one?

I'll try to come up with something on the following week :) my semester is ending :victory:
    Gonna have the A700 in 2 days, I'll come up with something after it :)