[Q]Data & APN on funny sim (CM9)

Search This thread

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
I run Lupohirp's cm9 testing version and have working data on my p-509 on t-mo,
I'm surprised you are on the new baseband since t-mo never released gingerbread for our phones, but I rooted a long time ago, and have flashed a bunch of roms, so OTA updates aren't coming my way ; p

I got it to work with a file called PatchOldBB.zip (181.54 KB) which I think I got from NightlyFourE_v3.4 rom page.

I know it might not apply since you have newer BB but I thought I'd share my experience anyhow on the off chance it helps.

(don't forget to disable "signature verify" in recovery>other)

Thanks Fred..
I'm sure some of us will use this info. Not having data sucks. Would you be able to link us up to that flash?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
I found it and downloaded it, but forgot to copy/paste the link. Since it's so small, I'm just enclosing it as an attachment. Hopefully this will work for you (and me, I'm installing it right now).

Edit: Well, I'm signed into SOME network, but there are still no APNs listed. Weird.

Edit 2: I'm signed into the AT&T network (no surprise, I'm in WV and there's NO T-Mobile towers), but no mobile data. My roommate, who also has an Optimus T, has the same issue. Should we try upgrading to the new baseband?

Attachments

• PatchOldBB.zip
    181.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
I found it and downloaded it, but forgot to copy/paste the link. Since it's so small, I'm just enclosing it as an attachment. Hopefully this will work for you (and me, I'm installing it right now).

Edit: Well, I'm signed into SOME network, but there are still no APNs listed. Weird.

Edit 2: I'm signed into the AT&T network (no surprise, I'm in WV and there's NO T-Mobile towers), but no mobile data. My roommate, who also has an Optimus T, has the same issue. Should we try upgrading to the new baseband?

Well.. If you cant get signal with a regular Rom and the old bb, then it won't make a difference with the new base band.. :/
Do you have signal using any other ROM?
If you move to the new base band, you will most likely have to use the olderbeta 4 ROM for funny sim..

holyzombiejesus

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton
For those experiencing problems requiring a "funny sim" fix: how does the problem manifest? Are you able to get signal, but your 3G connection doesn't connect (remains greyed out)? If that's the case, does it ever connect?

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
Well.. If you cant get signal with a regular Rom and the old bb, then it won't make a difference with the new base band.. :/
Do you have signal using any other ROM?
If you move to the new base band, you will most likely have to use the olderbeta 4 ROM for funny sim..

I was using Mik's version of Gingerbread, and it works fine (except data, but that's a carrier issue, not a ROM one), but I haven't tried any other versions of ICS. I'd be willing to, though, if you could suggest one.

For now, I'm going to revert to GB, and wait and see what happens, at least for a little while. I just wish that there was an official CyanogenMod for us Optimus users!

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
I was using Mik's version of Gingerbread, and it works fine (except data, but that's a carrier issue, not a ROM one), but I haven't tried any other versions of ICS. I'd be willing to, though, if you could suggest one.

For now, I'm going to revert to GB, and wait and see what happens, at least for a little while. I just wish that there was an official CyanogenMod for us Optimus users!

Check it out.
New base band, works like a charm. Funny Sim, regular Sim, works great.
No tethering or camera yet, but who cares. This ROM flies and has data...
At least try it out. Runs as good as stock Froyo, in my opinion.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1614420

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
Check it out.
New base band, works like a charm. Funny Sim, regular Sim, works great.
No tethering or camera yet, but who cares. This ROM flies and has data...
At least try it out. Runs as good as stock Froyo, in my opinion.

Installed, but still can't change the APN info for my carrier. Any way I can change a file manually and set my APN info? Neither Simple or T-Mobile USA work for me, since I have Wal-Mart My Family Mobile.

J

Jrhodes85

Yeah just to thru wifi, than mobile networks, than to apn settings...hit the menu key and type what you need to
Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
I tried that, but I can't edit the existing APNs or create a new one, so that's no help. I'm asking if there's a file somewhere that I can edit that will let me set my APN info manually.

J

Jrhodes85

Get root explorer or a file explorer that will give you root access, find the apn-config.xml file and edit that file and see if that helps at all..the file is somewhere in the system file folder

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
OK, I think I may see what the problem is. That file doesn't exist on my phone after the update. There's one called "apns-conf.xml" in system/etc, but that looks like a master list of APNs, not my current config.

I added my APN in on the Access Point Names screen, then hit Menu and Save, but it didn't save, so now I'm not sure what to try.

J

Jrhodes85

What rom are you using, which baseband, and do you have T-Mobile USA

J

Jrhodes85

Yeah I'm using the same rom but my data works..I'm on v20g and I have T-Mobile contract..try Googling Walmart phone apn

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
I have the APN info, I can't get my phone to let me save it. So my connection works, I just don't have any way of getting data to work.

Try flashing to a Rom and base band that you know works.. Go to market, download apn backup, and make a backup of the apn..
Then, get back to good ROM and restore that baked up apn.

Sound like the walmart sim might be different from the standard t mobile Sim cards...

I'm using t mob prepaid, and have a simple Sim i can test with also..
everything works fine. I have a feeling that something about the Walmart Sim the way it saves data is throwing it off. :/

Should just get the t mob prepaid unlimited for thirty bucks.. 100 mins, unlmt txt/data (4g up to 5gb)

Not a bad deal :)

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
Wal-Mart My Family Mobile gets us 4 phones for $108, unlimited everything except data, and right now they're running a special where we get that, too. Of course, it helps that one of the people on the account was a Wal-Mart employee, so we got 33% off of the entire account.

Right now, my phone doesn't connect on data anyway, there's some sort of problem with the account, so no ROM can connect. I was staying with Mik's in case they get it fixed, but they keep saying that I need a new SIM card, they can't sell me one over the phone or Internet, and the closest store that carries replacement SIM cards is 100 miles away, so screw that. So I'm just hoping that when my data reactivates, it'll show even with me using the ROM I am now.

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
Going back to the stock ROM, and tonight or tomorrow I'm going to get the new SIM card, I'll just pay the $15 extra. If that gets data working, then I'll do the APN backup and re-upgrade to HepHappy's and see if it works with it. If so, all is good.

Although it would certainly be nice to have a functional camera, but I know that they're working on that issue.

TimelesslyPrecise

Oct 13, 2010
SouthWest Florida
Going back to the stock ROM, and tonight or tomorrow I'm going to get the new SIM card, I'll just pay the $15 extra. If that gets data working, then I'll do the APN backup and re-upgrade to HepHappy's and see if it works with it. If so, all is

Hey, that sounds like a plan :]
keep us posted if it works or not.. That's a really good deal for a phone, might just get one for my ma.. :)

YmerejO42

Feb 28, 2009
South Charleston, WV
Sadly, it didn't work. So now I've called them and escalated the issue, trying to get an actual response on what's going on. It wouldn't be so annoying if it weren't for the fact that my roommate is on my plan, with the exact same phone that I have, and his data works perfectly. So they decided to assume that my phone is messed up, and I pointed out that we've tried swapping SIM cards, then he gets data on my phone, but I can't get it on his phone, so it's definitely not a phone issue.

Gonna call them again shortly and talk with a supervisor, see what that will get me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I run Lupohirp's cm9 testing version and have working data on my p-509 on t-mo,
    I'm surprised you are on the new baseband since t-mo never released gingerbread for our phones, but I rooted a long time ago, and have flashed a bunch of roms, so OTA updates aren't coming my way ; p

I got it to work with a file called PatchOldBB.zip (181.54 KB) which I think I got from NightlyFourE_v3.4 rom page.

I know it might not apply since you have newer BB but I thought I'd share my experience anyhow on the off chance it helps.

(don't forget to disable "signature verify" in recovery>other)
    We had the same problem with our CM9 port for the Samsung Galaxy W. The ROM developer Arco68 posted recently a working fix. Maybe you have the same issue and his solution can be implemented in your ROM too.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25485802&postcount=309

Don't flash it, unless you know what you are doing. This file is for the Samsung Galaxy W i8150, it is only a hint!!!

greets and goog luck

THE-E