No microSD card extension a new trend lately

Search This thread

thelegendarylegends

Dec 2, 2011
Perth
No micro sd card slot is a disaster for me. My music collection is over 40gb, games are often up to a gb each, my European maps are about 2gb and I like to have a few films or tv shows on board to kill time too. With a more powerful phone I'm going to want have hi-def films on board so I can stream to my tv (or to a friend's tv). I also have loads of photos from holidays and stuff which I like to keep on my memory card. Not only do I want a micro sd card slot, I want new devices to support micro sdxc for MUCH greater storage capacities and faster transfer speeds.

The cloud has its place for me, but I don't want to be left looking like a chump when I can't access a photo or song because there is either a slow or non-existent data connection. What about when my phone has to be on flight mode? Why would I want to eat into my data allowance to stream a song that could so easily be on a memory card? Streaming stuff to my phone uses noticeably more battery too.

Manufacturers want us to have fixed storage so we have to upgrade our handsets as our storage needs grow. They also realise that people are prepared to splash the cash on larger memory cards so they figure they would rather put that memory in the phone and take the extra money from us instead of letting that cash go to a card manufacturer. Finally, networks want us to store our stuff in the cloud because sooner or later we will go over our data allowances and they will make a killing in extra charges.....the next time we get a contract we'll all go for more expensive plans with a better allowance. They're not worried about the unnecessary data slowing down our mobile networks because they'll just throttle connection speeds accordingly.

Choice is good. 'Light' users won't mind a lack of SD card slot, but those of us who truly use our devices for media storage, communication, photography, sat nav and increasingly as a dockable pc replacement are really gutted. Windows mobile used to be able to connect in two ways, so there's no reason why our current devices can't pull the same trick.

u said it all mate!!!!

Reactions: lokenok

norazi

Mar 30, 2010
i used to have a large microSD but find myself using less than 4GB out of my 32GB card most of the time... its simply more convenient for me to stream media using spotify/grooveshark/pandora/netflix/youtube than to have the files on my card these days

also if you have a synchronized picasa account, then you dont even need to bother having your photos on a microSD card since it all gets saved to the cloud anyways. the only thing i use my microSD card for thses days is to store apks (titanium backup) and some game roms (SNES/PS1)

moshe22

Mar 18, 2011
i used to have a large microSD but find myself using less than 4GB out of my 32GB card most of the time... its simply more convenient for me to stream media using spotify/grooveshark/pandora/netflix/youtube than to have the files on my card these days

also if you have a synchronized picasa account, then you dont even need to bother having your photos on a microSD card since it all gets saved to the cloud anyways. the only thing i use my microSD card for thses days is to store apks (titanium backup) and some game roms (SNES/PS1)

Doesn't this use all of your data ?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

townay

Oct 2, 2011
Chang Hua City
The reason...is economics.
When memory was a lot more expensive, it was more cost effective to let the consumer pay for large sums of memory.remember when 16 gig micro sd Coss cost 100 bucks?
Blame Apple who were charging An extra 100 bucks for an extra 8 gigs. Pure profit for phone makers now that memory its so cheap now.

wouldnt it actually be more profitable if say, they give consumers a microsd expansion rather than a fixed capacity and then improve on their device feature/performance wise?

mrbkkt1

Nov 12, 2007
Mililani
www.lostpowercity.net
wouldnt it actually be more profitable if say, they give consumers a microsd expansion rather than a fixed capacity and then improve on their device feature/performance wise?

nah 16 gigs of micro sd is less than 20 bucks on amazon now. lets say they build in 8 to 16 gigs of storage. add a 16 gig chip internally for 10 bucks, then charge the consumer an extra 100.
not to mention the data usage charges ( more applicable in europe) which service providers love.

motorolla did this with a few phones, on ifixit tear downs, there is a micro sd internally mounted. i forget which phone though.

townay

Oct 2, 2011
Chang Hua City
nah 16 gigs of micro sd is less than 20 bucks on amazon now. lets say they build in 8 to 16 gigs of storage. add a 16 gig chip internally for 10 bucks, then charge the consumer an extra 100.
not to mention the data usage charges ( more applicable in europe) which service providers love.

motorolla did this with a few phones, on ifixit tear downs, there is a micro sd internally mounted. i forget which phone though.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I dont usually follow on the price changes of microsd but now that you mentioned it, a 16gb c10 microsd costs more or less the same over here in taiwan.

I dont have a clue about european's telco service though.

masondoctorjt

Apr 18, 2010
LG V60 ThinQ
I thought the internal sd card was originally to comply with windows mobile specification, then manufacturers used the same hardware for other models e.g. sensation XL is the Titan, just with Android instead of wm7. I'm not sure this will result in a new trend, but being unable to eject the card, also having a known specification of card probably reduces problems to the OS.

Not sure the larger displays on the new crop of phones are an improvement, with only a 1800mAh battery the reviews will probably ***** hardest about the short battery life.
Yes, but isn't wp8 gonna bring back mass storage support? It would suck I'd android did away with it and wp adopted it again.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using XDA App

ceza_21

Aug 4, 2009
london
Guys you will get 32gb + 50gb dropbox =82gb its more than enough :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

colapro

May 21, 2010
I think that the reason manufacturers do it this way is because people still buy the phones. I guess that the reason people buy those phones are because they think the internal memory will be enough.

In my opinion SDCARD and battery should be replacable by anyone.

Jaytronics

A lot of good that account will do us when we have massive 3Gig files to upload and there is an upload limit. Not only that but I do not want my family pictures up in the cloud. Also, take into consideration the people with a limited data package. This is nothing more than big companies trying to take away a good thing just to make a couple bucks. One day, I will just be fed up with it. I wish there was something that we could do to get it through there thick Fing skulls that this type of customer manipulation is utter bull****. To all that states that it doesnt effect them. Have you ever had the ability to think past youe own nose into the future? Needs change. What you are in need of now is most likely not going to be the case down the road.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

Edit: This was supposed to be a reply to another post. I guess I did something wrong. Any way.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2012
Well Tegra 3 does have that low power and low clocked 5th core ("companion core") for standby so that should extend the battery life a bit.
I m in a trouble i want to install Android on my htc kaiser with wm 6.5 but failed i want to install by heret.exe method dont need to remove my wm so i tried method for 2.1 eclair ,2.2 foroyo and 2.3 gingerbread after penguin it stucks with dont mount sd card in 2.1 eclair and something like system.img failure in foroyo 2.2
I have .tgz file for both 2.3 gingerbread and foroyo for kaiser while one .tgz file is full hardware functionality i searched on net .Now plz tell me what to do to run by heret.exe file

-ErrorFile-

Feb 20, 2012
I think that the reason manufacturers do it this way is because people still buy the phones. I guess that the reason people buy those phones are because they think the internal memory will be enough.

In my opinion SDCARD and battery should be replacable by anyone.

This is true!
Especially the part I bolded.

It's good to have a lots of internal memory, but I don't personally like this new trend.
I don't want to be always connected to internet - eats too much battery.

antispiral

Aug 26, 2010
After reading that recent article about how microsd cards slow phone performance maybe internal memory is better for Android overall? Not so for the user. Personally I think microsd is one of my favorite option on android phones.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!
    the 1800mAH is gonna die!! click thx if ur agree with me!!

This craving for "Thanks"-Hits lately is really annoying, to say the least. (Not directly in your direction, but in general).

Back on topic:

I´m not that fond of this trend, but it seems it is going that way.
    My only concern about this, is the fact that it is getting more difficult to, let´s say, flash a firmware, that won´t boot up with your current rom etc.
    Other then that, I don´t see that much of an disadvantage.
    No micro sd card slot is a disaster for me. My music collection is over 40gb, games are often up to a gb each, my European maps are about 2gb and I like to have a few films or tv shows on board to kill time too. With a more powerful phone I'm going to want have hi-def films on board so I can stream to my tv (or to a friend's tv). I also have loads of photos from holidays and stuff which I like to keep on my memory card. Not only do I want a micro sd card slot, I want new devices to support micro sdxc for MUCH greater storage capacities and faster transfer speeds.

The cloud has its place for me, but I don't want to be left looking like a chump when I can't access a photo or song because there is either a slow or non-existent data connection. What about when my phone has to be on flight mode? Why would I want to eat into my data allowance to stream a song that could so easily be on a memory card? Streaming stuff to my phone uses noticeably more battery too.

Manufacturers want us to have fixed storage so we have to upgrade our handsets as our storage needs grow. They also realise that people are prepared to splash the cash on larger memory cards so they figure they would rather put that memory in the phone and take the extra money from us instead of letting that cash go to a card manufacturer. Finally, networks want us to store our stuff in the cloud because sooner or later we will go over our data allowances and they will make a killing in extra charges.....the next time we get a contract we'll all go for more expensive plans with a better allowance. They're not worried about the unnecessary data slowing down our mobile networks because they'll just throttle connection speeds accordingly.

Choice is good. 'Light' users won't mind a lack of SD card slot, but those of us who truly use our devices for media storage, communication, photography, sat nav and increasingly as a dockable pc replacement are really gutted. Windows mobile used to be able to connect in two ways, so there's no reason why our current devices can't pull the same trick.
    no micro sd slot = no purchase for me

Sent from my MID7022 using Tapatalk
    http://www.htcphones.net/htc-one-x-specs-pros-and-cons/
    Pros
    • The HTC One X sports a 4.7-inch 720p Super LCD display similar to the HTC Titan but with higher resolution and pixel density. Still the latter can’t be equaled to iPhone’s Retina Display, but it is getting closer — 720×1280 pixels and 312ppi pixel density.
    • Though we don’t know what dimensions the phone will come at, the manufacturer has managed to fit all high-end features in a solid housing.
    • The key feature is the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor clocked at 1.5GHz.
    • The One X can take photos with the help of an 8MP rear camera and there is also a VGA frontal camera for web chat. You can check out the sample photo’s quality in our post.
    • Beats Audio.
    • Super connectivity options in face of WiFi (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC.
    • 1800mAh battery.
    • Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Sense 4.0.

Cons

• No microSD card extension ability.
    • The limited colors of a notification LED on the device.
    • Support for only microSIM cards.

So is the no microsd support becoming a new trend now? Started with Google Nexus followed by Sony's Xperia S and now HTC Endeavor. I understand the advantage of not needing microsd, that you can just plug your phone to the pc and then still able to play music (or whatever apps) through your phone uninterrupted, but there are still people who find the fix capacity a little...hard to deal with.