[DEV] Voodoo Sound for Optimus 2x and G2x

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Okay.

Nope that's an hardware issue of your headphones I guess.

However I wrote the driver to support Double volume controls (for left/right) so theoretically it will be possible to add left/right balance.

Reactions: Nootubo

Nootubo

Dec 29, 2011
That would be a nice feature. :) for my headphones
of course if it makes no circumstances ;)

reginickneo

Jan 4, 2009
Hi! Any further information about the developement? Really annoying bug that if you connect your headphones the phone starts music playing at the highest volume level. :S

Sent from my Optimus 2X using xda premium

bariskeskin

Nov 26, 2010
My personal favorite is Infuse 4G.
Both my Nexus S and Infuse 4G sound a little better than the original Galaxy S I9000 I have (Nexus S measure with lower THD levels, and Infuse 4G: not measured yet ;)

I don't know if it's a matter of sample to sample difference or board layout (or even chip revision)

Hi Supercurio, first of all thank you for your great work. As far as I know, your voodoo sound app only works for froyo versions of infuse 4g. Am I right?

mind_challenge

Feb 17, 2011
Rijeka
Hi! Any further information about the developement? Really annoying bug that if you connect your headphones the phone starts music playing at the highest volume level. :S

I have a similar problem. It starts in max volume. Also does that after notification sound when headphones are connected.

reginickneo

Jan 4, 2009
Yes.. i'm terrified getting an email while I'm listening to music.

Nootubo

Dec 29, 2011
Hey supercurio

How far you have progressed with the development :)

Last edited:

xilw3r

Dec 10, 2010
i think hes quite busy with the display expert project atm...
though he may be working on our beloved 2x as we speak, who knows :)

still...cant wait

xilw3r

Dec 10, 2010
Can someone point me to the download link?

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA

of what ?
voodoo sound app is in the market, just look it up. its free if your kernel has the drivers included (like spicas stock kernel, or temaseks kernel/ vadonkas etc..) the kernels are all around the forums :)

and if you dont want to flash a new kernel, there is a paid voodoo control app which preloads the drivers.

@supercurio any news for our Optimus 2x ?

Reactions: Najmuddin NP

Najmuddin NP

Mar 13, 2012
Bangalore
of what ?
voodoo sound app is in the market, just look it up. its free if your kernel has the drivers included (like spicas stock kernel, or temaseks kernel/ vadonkas etc..) the kernels are all around the forums :)

and if you dont want to flash a new kernel, there is a paid voodoo control app which preloads the drivers.

@supercurio any news for our Optimus 2x ?

New here.. didn't know about it... thnx for the info :)

Sent from my Optimus 2X using XDA

xUmaRix

Apr 24, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Sorry to bother.Can OP help implement voodoo sound processing on Motorola Atrix 4G?Both device seems to be the same in term of hardware

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

After a ton of requests from you guys, I finally decided to take the challenge to write a Voodoo Sound port for this WolfsonMicro WM8994 powered phone.

So I bought a device just for that, because it was just impossible without.
    As stated previously, this phone don't have a proper sound driver, or at least not a Linux Kernel driver.

There is some kind of non-standard userspace audio implementation inside /system/bin/nvrm_daemon.
    This daemon sends directly i2c commands via a NVIDIA proprietary API, which has an interface running as a bunch of foreign code in Kernel in order to access the hardware.

Why this port is a real technical challenge, requiring a fair share of reverse-engineering, lots of head-scratching and a very hacky state of mind?
    Because it's not supposed to be possible. But, eh ^^

I have an Optimus 2x since a few days only so I don't have much experience about what needs to be improved, apart from the obvious:

- Sound quality.
    - Headphone amp volume.
    - Creepy speaker output.

As usual, most of my work is under GPL and Kernels developers/packagers are welcome re-using my patches.
    If possible, I'll also write an in-app implementation, not requiring a patched kernel in Voodoo Control Plus.

You can follow the dev work here:
    github.com/project-voodoo/linux_lge-p990/commits/froyo-voodoo-sound
    I commit code real-time so if you're curious you don't have to wait for release to play with it!

PS: targets are Optimus 2X official and CyanogenMod, G2X official and CyanogenMod
    Hi again.

First of all, my apologies to the people who bought the Plus app expecting a lot more feature a lot faster.
    As a developer working on quality optimizations (and even in general) I'm not fast but kind of slow, why I stay cautious in terms of predictions and ETAs.

As I hate users being unhappy, if you're disappointed by this and think you were misguided by my writings please contact me with your O2x / G2x Voodoo Control Plus order number and I'll refund your purchase.

About challenges involved:

First of all I'm anal about sound quality and hardware implementation of audio components in LG device is subpar. As a result, signal is affected with several issues like:

- DC offset, triggering DAC DC servo I don't manage to kill yet: increases distortion and power consumption

- Headphone detection: I didn't find out yet a solution, but at high amp levels, the detection goes wild and think headphones were disconnected despite they're still here.
    So far, it avoids reaching higher output levels.

- Weak power stage, leading to saturation & distortions at high levels (less headroom than Samsung existing implementations)

- 20dB lost in stereo separation by lack of physical isolation between left and right channels on the board path.

As I'm a perfectionist yes those issues bother me a lot and as long as they're not solved or attenuated I feel like adding features like 128x oversampling would might not noticeable enough and that would be more like a gimmick instead of a real solution or improvement.

Other than that, in the driver writing itself:
    I'm proud of the the method I use to hijack commands sent by ROM nvrm daemon directly to WM8994 audio IC. Its clever :)

However for additional features, there's several stuff I need to implement and I just didn't had the skills required to do that before.
    I struggled several months this summer to learn those but eventually succeed by writing on a different project (about Super AMOLED screens)
    As I'm close to a first release on this Super AMOLED stuff I'm finishing it and will release an app on market.

As usual I'm bad with ETAs so I'll avoid giving a failed one but next thing is my TODO is O2x/G2x Voodoo sound.
    There's still a lot I don't know, as long as it's not written. Also because to my knowledge it has not been done before, so stay tuned (and also patient :))

Note: I'm extremely demanding in terms of sound quality. the appreciation I make here are bit bold but I doesn't prevent a few people to think it's awesome as it is already.
    Okay I'm back on the project!
    Guys, we had a short chat in gtalk and he already managed to flash v30a successfully.
    Actually it was just the USB cable he used first, another one resolved the problems. I remembered having such problems with an HTC cable as well, so keep this in mind if NVFlash doesn't work for someone.

Now it's up to him to publicly announce his future development plans about the 2x.

Sent from my LG-P990 using xda app-developers app
    Alright I changed the detection routine, looking for:

• user.feature.lgdrm
    • user.feature.lgresource
    • user.feature.lgsetupwizard
    • user.feature.lgpoweroff

Will be in the next update.