Control 4G/3G/2G by app?

Search This thread

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
Hi all - I'm on the cheap Tmobile plan (500 mg/month) but I really don't need 4G that much. Ideally I'd like 4G to only run when in the web browser, youtube, etc - when I really need fast speed.

If I'm in google music, facebook, reading email, etc - I really don't need FAST speeds - 3G is more than fine.

Anyway to set up 3G as the normal radio, then auto-toggle to 4G when specific apps open?

Ideally I'd only like to use the fast 4G when needed, like downloading videos, youtube, etc.

Last edited:

diamond12

Nov 7, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't remember if you need to have your phone unlocked for the menu to be enabled but it's under System settings -> Tethering & networks -> Mobile networks -> Network mode.

You can also run the *#*#INFO#*#* code -> Phone information.

You may want to check with T-Mobile if switching to GSM mode will stop you from using up your 4G allowance (if that's what you're trying to do). I've seen no indication to that.

Re-reading your post, there is no 3G mode anymore, since they upgraded 3G to 3.5G which they call 4G. So your choices are either GSM (2G), WCDMA (4G) or LTE.

dallashigh

Jul 24, 2010
All data usage counts against your quota, even 2G. Your phone is not going to use more data simply being on LTE. The proper way to manage data usage is to disable auto-sync and turn off mobile data entirely as much as possible.

*Omnipresent*

Apr 23, 2008
Beyond human comprehension
Hi all - I'm on the cheap Tmobile plan (500 mg/month) but I really don't need 4G that much. Ideally I'd like 4G to only run when in the web browser, youtube, etc - when I really need fast speed.

If I'm in google music, facebook, reading email, etc - I really don't need FAST speeds - 3G is more than fine.

Anyway to set up 3G as the normal radio, then auto-toggle to 4G when specific apps open?

Ideally I'd only like to use the fast 4G when needed, like downloading videos, youtube, etc.

I use (2g-3g on/off) widget from the playstore. It places a widget/shortcut on your home screen, that takes you to a settings screen that allows you to toggle between 2g, 4g, and lte. Works great on my T-Mobile G2.

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
All data usage counts against your quota, even 2G. Your phone is not going to use more data simply being on LTE. The proper way to manage data usage is to disable auto-sync and turn off mobile data entirely as much as possible.

Okay so for Tmobile, no matter how I get the first 500mg of data (3G,2G, etc.)- that's when the 4G shuts off? I thought I might be able to "save" 4G until I really needed to use it.

Last edited:

dallashigh

Jul 24, 2010
Okay so for Tmobile, no matter how I get the first 500mg of data (3G,2G, etc.)- that's when the 4G shuts off?

That's correct. Also, 4G doesn't really shut off. You will still be on LTE or HSPA+ when available, but the speed will be limited. The system doesn't actually kick you off 3G/4G it just reduces your speed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
That's correct. Also, 4G doesn't really shut off. You will still be on LTE or HSPA+ when available, but the speed will be limited. The system doesn't actually kick you off 3G/4G it just reduces your speed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Okay that makes sense - so I'll still be on 4g (orlando) but just throttled at 128k or less. kk thanks