[Q] XBMC help - XBMC is getting quite large!

Search This thread

Joemilwaukee

Aug 8, 2014
I've been running XBMC on my FireTV for a while now and I have noticed that it keeps growing in size. With only an 8GB hard drive - most of which is taken up by apps - there isn't an easy way to get rid of the old thrumnails and such that are starting to make XBMC balloon up over 2GB.

Does anyone know of a good way to prune XBMC back down to a reasonable size? An app recommendation would be best - but detailed instructions would work. I'm kinda new to FTV and really haven't edited anything - just sideloaded a few things. Thanks in advance.

Ipse_Tase

Feb 29, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Moving the thumbnails to SD doesn't actually address the OP's problem...jut shifts it to SD :)

I would assume deleting the thumbnails folder together with Textures*.db should take care of the folder size. Your XBMC will run slower after the reboot as the images will have to be cached again as needed.
I have seen Python scripts to regenerate the thumbnails faster based in installed add-ons, but I don't know how to install Python on AFTV.

KarlP

Mar 1, 2011
You need to save the Thumbnails on some external device. You can store them on a mounted flash drive or network location if you want. Unless you do that, eventually your internal memory is going to fill up.

Scott3252

Aug 27, 2014
I use a program add-on called Thumbnails Cleaner Version 1.1.3 by Max (m4x1m) Headroom, just search for repository.m4x1m.zip on google and you will find the repo in the first links. its very easy to use and can greatly reduce you thumbnails folder