Samsung will merge bada with Tizen

Search This thread

mylove90

Feb 27, 2011
Cairo
WTF ?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And i always wondered why is Wave 3 so different even in its core :(
Well the journey got to its end now....bada is Tizen....Samsung being just Samsung
Please rename this section to Tizen :(
We are stuck with RTOS based phone now that Samsung think it is low-end device :(
Sources of 2.0 will never get published

Best Regards

Reactions: PJK2011

DiGiTLgame

Apr 19, 2011
My question is will existing Bada users get pushed to the side or will Samsung ACTUALLY do something for us.And i will be pretty pissed if Samsung push us aside and tell us to f*** off.

lasentenza

Aug 3, 2010
Well if it's Open source why not...
But I think it's the dead of Bada.

Please Samsung, make your great phone and let other make OS.

It's hard to stay on Bada (middle end device, no open source, no update, no communication about samsung...) when we can easily got all that with Android :(

PJK2011

Dec 19, 2011
Well the journey got to its end now....bada is Tizen....Samsung being just Samsung
Please rename this section to Tizen

We are stuck with RTOS based phone now that Samsung think it is low-end device

Sources of 2.0 will never get published

Note that Samsung is emphasizing Tizen's backwards compatibility with existing Bada Apps, not compatibility with existing hardware. Samsung benefits Samsung by keeping their app count up. Samsung is not benefiting their existing customer base by giving them an OS upgrade path. As you said, this is Samsung being Samsung. This can also be seen by the title of the related Forbes article at the bottom of the page: Samsung Playing All Sides To Win. Reviewers were telling us the same thing when Samsung released Bada alongside Android.

megaduu

Jan 14, 2012
Agree with above
g.gif

Last edited:

Soxix

Dec 28, 2011
Saverne
I don't think that it will kill Bada. For exemple Samsung seems to have still interest about it as they just have signed a contract with TomTom for a GPS app.
Also I read somewhere that some others manufacturer are taking part of the Tizen project. It would be a OS moreover like the Boot to Gecko project.
=> Every one want to get an mobile OS.

For me Bada is still alive although samsung seems to drown it.

@akuji_bwn : these pictures are not the right one. It is simply Bada 2.0 on the picture.
Here you have some :
http://www.sammobile.com/2012/01/08...nd-the-first-phone-will-be-the-samsung-i9500/

Reactions: adfree

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Appstore is powered by bada 2.0 since "1 month +"...

New devices like S8600, S7250 and S5380 are very young... 1 month +

So Samsung will push/support minimum there 3 new bada 2.0 devices 1 year...

Why should Samsung kill there 3 devices now?

I think bada 2.0 will have support to 2013 ...

So we can benefit 1 year with our S8500/S8530 and so on... :cool:

Best Regards

Reactions: PJK2011

mylove90

Feb 27, 2011
Cairo
yes bada 2.0 will have support to 2013 but
Wave 3 will get bada 3.0 by the end of this year
bada 3.0 will be bada - Tizen merge OS so it will be open source
The idea is what will Samsung call bada 3.0....bada or Tizen or a very new name ?!.. Probably bada
Again no idea how long will it take from Samsung to merge and update but they are doing it while tweaking 2.0 to make it final
In my point of view 2.0 should be open sourced too to give the whole community a chance to make it better...but Samsung love the way it controls old Wave I/II users because the bought devices with low prices
I am supporting bada until 3.0 appears

Best Regards

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
I don't think they are ever going to opensource any SHP libraries, that platform has been made to be easily built as out-of-kernel, DLL libraries. So they will just opensource kernel, which is very linux-like and most of drivers and GUI will remain proprietary.

Reactions: adfree

KrazyKong

Nov 8, 2010
Not surprised to see Samsung revealing this. It's clear they have been playing all sides and what ends up happening alot of the time, is one or more sides get burned.

I'm not technical enough to know what Samsung would be meddling with Tizen as it seems so similar to Bada. Better to have just made Bada open source I had felt.

The biggest problem with Samsung is their inability to rollout anything in a timely fashion. There are whole countries still officially stuck on Bada 1.0. They didn't get Bada 1.2 and will have no chance of getting Bada 2.0. That assures a conclusion that all those people will get pissed off and head to another phone OS.

If Samsung were able to push out their updates worldwide at the same time, Bada right now would have been huge. At present it's just lost potential and this trickle of unofficial firmwares leaking out here and there. Plus having no US releases for the Waves has to go down as the stupidest move I've seen a big company make in recent times.

madman

Apr 21, 2011
Planet Earth
OnePlus 5
OnePlus 6
don't worry samsung is screwing all of existing customers for software updates.. android + bada ppl will go cry as there are no software updates for most of devices out in market.....
even if they make bada + tizen open source dev will have to work ass off as samsung might not release kernel sources of old devices...
and someone will have to create it from scratch which is difficult task

kingkij

Dec 16, 2010
its about own personal choice but when i look at meego and tizen , MEEGO lookes much better. i mean samaung may screw with the MEEGO aka tizen.

bong4316

May 14, 2010
App compatibility

Its funny that they claim app compatibility when they cant even make some popular bada 1.2 apps work with bada 2.
(example shrek kart, shrek's adventure, hero of sparta, tom clancy's hawx, GTA academy, bruce lee dragon warrior,blades of fury etc)
Now they claim bada apps will work with tizen.
I'll believe it when i see it but i dont think it will happen for most of the apps without a recompile.

Reactions: adfree and mylove90

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tizen and Android has got the same kernel architecture - ARMLinux. Only platform (GUI and API layer) differs, Bada (previously Mocha/SHP - Samsung Handset Platform) is also platform, the thing is that in Tizen and Android you can easily see difference between kernel - single binary (usually zImage) file, and platform - set of libraries and executables. Current Bada releases are Nucleus kernel with statically linked SHP/Mocha's core libraries and DLL API libs. Bada platform can be rather easy build as set DLL libs and executables ready to work with ARMLinux kernel. For now we can only guess how much will remain closed source and how much of it will become opensource. The thing is that if they use Tizen kernel, they have to release full kernel sources, which is usually covering big part of drivers (though drivers can be also build as .so modules and remain proprietary, as big part of modem drivers - RIL)
    Samsung confirmed ?? Tizen on Wave ?

Samsung Mobile President JK Shin (Shin
    Jong-kyun) launch of Samsung Galaxy
    Note II in Korea said that they will soon
    be going to merge the Bada Platform
    with their new Tizen Operating System
    which is being developed by Samsung
    and Intel.According to him the Tizen
    devices would take time to come into the
    market.
    Samsung Electronics also reorganized
    the bada developer team by putting
    them well on a team developing
    software for Smart TV ecosystem and S
    Pen, while also working on software
    services such as Samsung Chaton,
    AllShare Play, Music Hub, Family Story,
    etc.. However, Samsung bada ensures
    support for the Wave series
    smartphones will continue . For the needs
    of this great software, Samsung will
    continue to recruit and grow in the field
    of software engineers.
    Samsung’s latest decision is expected to
    be a win-win solutions for
    everyone. Ecosystem bada and Tizen
    Merger is expected to give completeness
    to meet Samsung’s ambition to gain a
    larger market and best alternative to
    Android. With HTML5, the application
    development process and content for a
    variety of different devices
    (smartphones, tablets, Smart TV, Smart
    Camera, netbooks, etc.) will be able to
    more quickly and easily. For developers,
    manufacturers, operators, etc., the
    decision is expected to create new
    opportunities and greater economies of
    scale.

Source -----> badaindonesia.blogspot.com/2012/10/tizen-akan-segera-terintegrasi-dengan.html#.UGukAk1mIX8

Via Badahub
    Samsung Electronics also reorganized
    the bada developer team by putting
    them well on a team developing
    software for Smart TV ecosystem and S
    Pen, while also working on software
    services such as Samsung Chaton,
    AllShare Play, Music Hub, Family Story,
    etc..

I think this is what we allready know... since months...

R&D bada has NO time for bada... :(

According to him the Tizen
    devices would take time to come into the
    market.

Harharhar... :eek:

NO more bada support in 2012 and 2013... AND no Tizen in 2012...

Fank you Samsung. :good:

Best Regards
    Most of the shopping sites here in India are saying that Samsung wave 3 is discontinued.

Wave 3- Out of stock

This product has been permanently discontinued by the manufacturer/Brand.:(

It's bit shocking...without any new release...in October :eek:
    App compatibility

Its funny that they claim app compatibility when they cant even make some popular bada 1.2 apps work with bada 2.
    (example shrek kart, shrek's adventure, hero of sparta, tom clancy's hawx, GTA academy, bruce lee dragon warrior,blades of fury etc)
    Now they claim bada apps will work with tizen.
    I'll believe it when i see it but i dont think it will happen for most of the apps without a recompile.