[1.267GHz!!!] [Devs] Overclocking/undervolting patches (update 6/15)

Search This thread

coolbho3000

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Dec 26, 2008
I got an EVO myself and managed to overclock it to 1.267GHz. We could probably go even higher, but that requires more extensive changes. Here are the changed source files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/supersonic_oc-uv.tar.gz

It also includes an undervolt courtesy of pershoot (a whole 0.1V lower when idle, which should help battery drain a lot!). Here is a test update.zip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/supersonic_oc-uv_signed.zip (working WiFi). Make sure to do a nandroid backup first!

Sensors/camera do not currently work in this kernel because the source is not yet complete.

There is an overvolt on the highest frequencies. It should not cause any issues. Thanks to toastcfh for his source, Hero_Over for creating the first booting overclocked kernel on the EVO, all the kernel devs in the N1 community, especially pershoot and kmobs, richardtrip from the Desire community, koush for anykernel updater, and all who helped to root the EVO. Enjoy!

Update 6/15: Fixed 950mV undervolt. Raised voltages from 1228800 above to improve stability. Source files updated and update.zip uploaded.

old said:
I posted these in an earlier thread, but I think I should bring this to everyone's attention. Here are some simple patches that will overclock the Evo up to 1.267GHz (though by any means it's not guaranteed to get that high!):

Edit: please don't flash the below update.zip, as it doesn't seem to boot. Devs, the patches are still below, and a zimage is in the anykernel update zip.

Update: I compiled it myself. Here is an update.zip: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/update-oc_signed.zip. This uses toastcfh's sources, Koush's excellent anykernel updater and a config.gz pulled from a stock Supersonic. If this doesn't boot, no damage will be done to your phone. Just reboot into recovery and reinstall your ROM. You can test overclocking by grabbing SetCPU from my sig or changing the cpufreq values if you know how. Once we get this working, I will create an undervolted version for battery savings. I'd get an Evo, but it's sold out everywhere T_T

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/36553/supersonic_oc.zip

cpufreq.c and acpuclock-scorpion.c are in arch/arm/mach-msm, and supersonic_defconfig is just the config. I don't have an Evo, so I can't test these out, but these should work with the source files toastcfh posted earlier: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=686240.

Undervolting can be achieved simply by adjusting the voltages (in mV) in the acpu_freq_tbl table in acpuclock-scorpoion.c. For those not familiar with his work, you can see pershoot's safe (but lower) voltages for the N1 here: http://github.com/pershoot/nexus-kernel/blob/master/acpuclock-scorpion.c. If you want to overvolt or go under 1000mV, you have to make one further adjustment to the voltage regulator in board-supersonic.c.

Note that the N1 and the Evo are completely different devices (with similar processors), so what may work for the N1 may not work for the Evo.

Last edited:
J

jigglywiggly

Awesome... until I am sure this is stable, I will wait, but I must have overclock :p

Neotelos_com

Jul 29, 2008
Seattle
Awesome... until I am sure this is stable, I will wait, but I must have overclock :p

I don't recommend overclocking, the devices already can run warm at current settings.
But then again, you are entitled to do as you wish.

Options better than overclocking are to remove the Sprint bloatware and strip down parts of Sense, this speeds things up alot by removing excess background applications.

J

jigglywiggly

Well it ain't too bad, my Droid at 1 ghz(550 stock) runs great.
So this should be good too.

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
I like overclocking as much as the next geek, but on the Evo... WHY?

This phone has yet to respond anything slower than instantly to my input and I expect a difference of .26 ghz would not make it so it could read my thoughts.

Undervolting, on the other hand, could help with the abysmal battery life...

Jus10o

Mar 11, 2010

This phone has yet to respond anything slower than instantly to my input and I expect a difference of .26 ghz would not make it so it could read my thoughts.

Some people love to run benchmarks. Try to improve on them over and over. Others like the feeling of just going faster. Also some apps or some in the future might require a faster running phone. What better way to achieve that (other then buying a new phone) then OC.

Also in the future, are you not gunna buy a 1.5ghz processor phone running 2.1 because a 1ghz processor can already do it? OC has many benefits, just not to everyone, most because they dont understand the consequences or benefits.

My htc hero clocked to 768mhz can run 2.1 and everything near instant. Still doesnt keep be from wanting a 1ghz or higher.

Also one more thing, 2.2 will be out soon. With full flash support, i have a feeling its going to require a lot of CPU. An OC Evo would probably run many things from 2.2 a lot easier.

OrionSX

Dec 11, 2007
Well, I agree with the benchmarking comments but on the subject of Froyo... Froyo is designed to be even faster on equivalent hardware than 2.1... and 2.1 on my Evo is smooth as silk. And the Evo handles most Flash I can throw at it, so I'm not sure. I have however noticed a small performance difference with live wallpaper running, so maybe OCing will clear that up a bit.

phinnaeus

Apr 25, 2010
Seattle
Some people love to run benchmarks. Try to improve on them over and over. Others like the feeling of just going faster. Also some apps or some in the future might require a faster running phone. What better way to achieve that (other then buying a new phone) then OC.

Also in the future, are you not gunna buy a 1.5ghz processor phone running 2.1 because a 1ghz processor can already do it? OC has many benefits, just not to everyone, most because they dont understand the consequences or benefits.

My htc hero clocked to 768mhz can run 2.1 and everything near instant. Still doesnt keep be from wanting a 1ghz or higher.

Also one more thing, 2.2 will be out soon. With full flash support, i have a feeling its going to require a lot of CPU. An OC Evo would probably run many things from 2.2 a lot easier.

You know, this is an excellent point and I feel like I failed the developer community in some small way when you had to bring it up. You shouldn't have to provide a reason for wanting progress, it should happen for its own sake.

Proceed.

Roman G

Feb 10, 2010
Oregon

Agree with everything you just said, and I am less than excited about the benchmarks with the EVO thus far:mad:

thebluecoat

Aug 7, 2009

I'm not trying to start an argument at all but you have to think broader mathematically. If the processor runs at 1000Mhz or 999mhz (In the case of my N1) a .267 increase is 267mhz, a 26.7% increase in computational performance... That's pretty raw especially in cellphone terms, that have no way to vent or displace that kind of heat.

Has anyone noticed how much hotter the kickstand gets? I bet you that it's attached to something the cpu is connected to. $5 bucks says we will see KICKSTAND HEATSINK + FAN MOD 2GHZ OC! LOL

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
I'm not trying to start an argument at all but you have to think broader mathematically. If the processor runs at 1000Mhz or 999mhz (In the case of my N1) a .267 increase is 267mhz, a 26.7% increase in computational performance... That's pretty raw especially in cellphone terms, that have no way to vent or displace that kind of heat.

Has anyone noticed how much hotter the kickstand gets? I bet you that it's attached to something the cpu is connected to. $5 bucks says we will see KICKSTAND HEATSINK + FAN MOD 2GHZ OC! LOL

This is a patch for developers, not a discussion thread for the merits (or lack thereof) of overclocking.

If you don't want to overclock your phone, nobody is making you.

It has worked out fine in the Desire and Nexus One community.

mccurt29

Dec 9, 2008
This is a patch for developers, not a discussion thread for the merits (or lack thereof) of overclocking.

If you don't want to overclock your phone, nobody is making you.

It has worked out fine in the Desire and Nexus One community.

how do i apply this ???????
can u make it flashable?

joeykrim

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 9, 2009
how do i apply this ???????
can u make it flashable?
need to follow the directions in the first post. the .c files need to be loaded into the kernel source (right now just have toast's soruce) and the kernel has to be compiled with them.
if somebody wants to compile up a kernel with these, we could start testing. if i get some free time i'll help out here and compile a kernel but somebody else will prob beat me to it!

madunix

Jan 16, 2009
New York
please someone let us know how this works out for your evo 4g... benchmark, test results... anything to show better/worse performance, whether your got ALOT warmer, or just a lil, etc.. ne information would be greatly appreciated it, i'm not a 100% noob, i just know how to follow instructions very well, doesn't mean i understand everything that's going on, just the basic concept of what i want. thank you in advance.

coolbho3000

Dec 26, 2008
please someone let us know how this works out for your evo 4g... benchmark, test results... anything to show better/worse performance, whether your got ALOT warmer, or just a lil, etc.. ne information would be greatly appreciated it, i'm not a 100% noob, i just know how to follow instructions very well, doesn't mean i understand everything that's going on, just the basic concept of what i want. thank you in advance.

I'm waiting for someone to compile this first.

If nobody steps forward, I'll make my own attempt, but I'll be working blind with no test hardware.

tkrechel

Feb 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure most devs are waiting on the htc source kernal before playing with this. I can't wait but I understand them being hesitant to do too much with this for now. Still awesome of you to post it and have it rdy for when that time comes!