[XT860][CM9] Working 3G data... finally!

Search This thread

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Hey guys,

I finally got 3G data working in Hashcode's port of ICS to the Droid 3/XT860. I'm currently using the isuacell (Mexico) revision on a Bell XT860; I wasn't able to get ICS to boot up on the current Bell update, although I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked. I'm fairly certain it'll work on other software updates such as the ones from Argentina/Brazil, and possibly the ME863 but I don't have the time to test it myself, let me know if it works for you if you're running any of these updates.

Nevertheless, I got it working pretty easily. I don't have time to do a full writeup right now but it was exactly what I suspected earlier, a minor issue in the Android framework causing an exception that would disconnect 3G data a few seconds after a connection to the APN was successfully made. That, combined with Motorola's RIL library from the isuacell firmware and a few build.prop tweaks were all it took, and so far it is running pretty good.

Only major thing I've noticed so far is that the cell status indicator only seems to indicate either perfect reception or none, no in between, but for now I'm pretty stoked this is working as I can finally use ICS on a daily basis instead of switching back and forth a dozen times a day.

Here's a link to a .zip to be installed via Safestrap. Be sure to perform a factory reset and to be safe, mount system and format it in the "mounts and storage" area before installing the zip to ensure a clean install. Also, as Hashcode had mentioned in his release thread, don't let it restore your old settings when you run through the Setup Wizard on the first boot. Enjoy, and be sure to thank Hashcode for all the effort he's put into making our phones even better!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22632665/CM9_XT860.zip
md5=6302b1733777ad5d7e3d5483d9291591
176820984 bytes

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I was lazy earlier and just posted the link to the full update, I finally got around to releasing a significantly smaller, more sensible patch:

http://db.tt/HEbusNM3
xt860_ics_patch_01_30_2012-safe_system-signed.zip
md5=60dc2db347c7310d0f5e51b0e02b9952
4231015 bytes

I recommend flashing Hashcode's Alpha 5 release, then doing a factory reset before installing this update in Safestrap. I can make one for the non-safe system users out there too, just didn't bother but it'd take two seconds.

Also, check out my github repos for the changes I made to get 3G data working. (You'll probably laugh when you see the change to android_frameworks_base):

http://github.com/buddyrich

I've kind of mimicked Hashcode to keep things simple; my changes are in the branch "ics-xt860". The easiest way to compile it all from scratch is like this: (Assuming you're in your working directory)

1) repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics
2) cd .repo
3) git clone git://github.com/buddyrich/android_local_solana.git
4) cd android_local_solana
5) git checkout ics-xt860
5) cp local_manifest.xml ../
6) rm -f -r android_local_solana
7) repo sync -j24
8) Place this file in the root of your working directory, eg: ~/android/system/ : http://db.tt/1HpM2m6r
9) vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
10) . build/envsetup.sh
11) brunch solana

Last edited:

emprize

Jan 15, 2007
funny....i got 3G, but i cant make a call nor receive a call......
is that my problem or known problem?

Last edited:

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I see this mentioned everywhere, and now I just have to ask. What happens if you do let it restore your old settings?

The world will explode.

No, to be honest I have never tried. I think the idea is that you don't want any settings from a completely different Android release (ie: Gingerbread vs. ICS) being restored. It will still sync up your contacts and everything, just not any wifi connections, system settings, etc.

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
kinda strange, i wipe and try now, sometimes clean install but got phone.apk freeze, my latest try is ok....

Very nice man!! I was actually talking to this with Hashcode a while ago and we figured that the best way to get things working for xt860/me863 might be to release small patches to enable data etc. Is it possible to pop your modified files in a smaller patch that can be applied against the current and future cm9 builds? (With a list of what's modded I think most people can do this pretty easily and the patch should be easier to update than the ~175 meg cm9 zip as well when carriers release newer firmwares with updated libs etc).

I have this running against my bell 2.3.6 cwm rom that I flashed non-safe, only problem I have is that I have to boot the phone plugged into the computer with ICS, Hash has fixed and broke that a few times I think, not the most important thing. I notice with your build I don't need to have my phone plugged in to the computer to boot ics.

Edit: For some reason I have data and "Sim card not detected" in the status bar, everything is populated correctly in phone info, phone works for calling and data. Switching out the included libmoto_ril.so with the one from bell 2.3.6 took care of the "Sim card not detected" up top(srsly, maybe it was just the reboot) but when I try to make a call phone fc's lol.

Last edited:

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
nice ill try later

Enviado desde mi XT860 usando Tapatalk

It's worth trying now, with libertys dl site going down last night I flashed this knowing I wouldn't have data only to wake up and find that it's my every day rom now. Any hacking etc from this point might as well be done while using/on this (although I would still really like to see data working on cm7 as well personally, perhaps if Rick#2 makes this into a smaller patch we can test it on that as well). Only a few things that are holding us back now like camera/some codec/module issues.

dasilva333

Apr 1, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm using the stock Bell 2.3.4 rom and I installed this zip on my safe system enabled mode however it doesnt work. I wish someone could show me how to provide more meaningful logs but this is what I get from dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/jHhTiCC3
a longer dmesg:
http://pastebin.com/k5PMF3r4
and finally heres /proc/kmsg
http://pastebin.com/ygW2Fb4Y

if anyone could look through it and tell me why my xt860 is not booting this build of cm9 that'd be great thanks :)

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Hey Congrats on setting this up Rick#2!

Get me a patch of just the changed files and I'll host it under the builds so that people can download both files at the same time as new updates happen.

You've single-handedly brought ICS to the XT860!

Reactions: killster

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Is anyone else finding that touch events take longer to register?

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium

LaZiODROID

Feb 6, 2011
Toronto
Very nice man. Thanks

Has anyone tried to send an MMS picture message (on Rogers?) I double checked my apn's. It didn't seem to send. But data is nice!

Sent from my XT860

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Hi!

I put this patch up on the blog as well:
http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/android-downloads.html
(See XT860 sub-patch)

Rick#2: I can get that frameworks change into my build via a build.prop setting..
ro.ril.ignore.linkiperror=true
(add this to your build.prop and I'll get it in for the next release)

That you don't need to patch frameworks.jar each release.

And I might build in a prop check for disabling the GlobalNWStats trigger which causes a looping FC for non-VZW Droid 3 users. Not sure what to use tho.

Also in your update-script the mount command references:
mount("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk1p23", "/system");

That will only work for Safestrap users.

Let's change it to:
mount("ext3", "EMMC", "/dev/block/system", "/system");

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
Yeah, I was wondering what to do about that. Didn't think I could just use /dev/block/system, nice for compatibility!

Pretty funny how I spent countless hours sifting the radio logs, trying a billion permutations and combinations of proprietary binaries, libraries and build.prop settings when all that needed to be done was to comment out *one* line of code. I had an itch to try getting rid of that bit regarding the exception a few weeks ago but thought it couldn't possibly be that simple... :)

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, I was wondering what to do about that. Didn't think I could just use /dev/block/system, nice for compatibility!

Pretty funny how I spent countless hours sifting the radio logs, trying a billion permutations and combinations of proprietary binaries, libraries and build.prop settings when all that needed to be done was to comment out *one* line of code. I had an itch to try getting rid of that bit regarding the exception a few weeks ago but thought it couldn't possibly be that simple... :)

I sometimes get asked why development takes so long when they take a look at the commit changes and the code hasn't been edited much at all.

*cough* This is a fine example of just such a case.

I'm sure the entire XT860 community appreciates the hard work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I finally got 3G data working in Hashcode's port of ICS to the Droid 3/XT860. I'm currently using the isuacell (Mexico) revision on a Bell XT860; I wasn't able to get ICS to boot up on the current Bell update, although I'm sure it's something simple I've overlooked. I'm fairly certain it'll work on other software updates such as the ones from Argentina/Brazil, and possibly the ME863 but I don't have the time to test it myself, let me know if it works for you if you're running any of these updates.

Nevertheless, I got it working pretty easily. I don't have time to do a full writeup right now but it was exactly what I suspected earlier, a minor issue in the Android framework causing an exception that would disconnect 3G data a few seconds after a connection to the APN was successfully made. That, combined with Motorola's RIL library from the isuacell firmware and a few build.prop tweaks were all it took, and so far it is running pretty good.

Only major thing I've noticed so far is that the cell status indicator only seems to indicate either perfect reception or none, no in between, but for now I'm pretty stoked this is working as I can finally use ICS on a daily basis instead of switching back and forth a dozen times a day.

Here's a link to a .zip to be installed via Safestrap. Be sure to perform a factory reset and to be safe, mount system and format it in the "mounts and storage" area before installing the zip to ensure a clean install. Also, as Hashcode had mentioned in his release thread, don't let it restore your old settings when you run through the Setup Wizard on the first boot. Enjoy, and be sure to thank Hashcode for all the effort he's put into making our phones even better!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22632665/CM9_XT860.zip
    md5=6302b1733777ad5d7e3d5483d9291591
    176820984 bytes

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I was lazy earlier and just posted the link to the full update, I finally got around to releasing a significantly smaller, more sensible patch:

http://db.tt/HEbusNM3
    xt860_ics_patch_01_30_2012-safe_system-signed.zip
    md5=60dc2db347c7310d0f5e51b0e02b9952
    4231015 bytes

I recommend flashing Hashcode's Alpha 5 release, then doing a factory reset before installing this update in Safestrap. I can make one for the non-safe system users out there too, just didn't bother but it'd take two seconds.

Also, check out my github repos for the changes I made to get 3G data working. (You'll probably laugh when you see the change to android_frameworks_base):

http://github.com/buddyrich

I've kind of mimicked Hashcode to keep things simple; my changes are in the branch "ics-xt860". The easiest way to compile it all from scratch is like this: (Assuming you're in your working directory)

1) repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics
    2) cd .repo
    3) git clone git://github.com/buddyrich/android_local_solana.git
    4) cd android_local_solana
    5) git checkout ics-xt860
    5) cp local_manifest.xml ../
    6) rm -f -r android_local_solana
    7) repo sync -j24
    8) Place this file in the root of your working directory, eg: ~/android/system/ : http://db.tt/1HpM2m6r
    9) vendor/cm/get-prebuilts
    10) . build/envsetup.sh
    11) brunch solana
    UPDATE: ok, I re-added the XT860 patch to the blog:
    http://hash-of-codes.blogspot.com/p/android-downloads.html

This one is only 200k. I removed the framework.jar and added the new build.prop change instead. So it's a lib file + build.prop. And it should be compatible with ANY future ICS update as well.

Let me know if you have any problems with it. I didn't sign it, but I did put up the md5sum.
    Hey Congrats on setting this up Rick#2!

Get me a patch of just the changed files and I'll host it under the builds so that people can download both files at the same time as new updates happen.

You've single-handedly brought ICS to the XT860!
    I think there have been a few users banging their heads on this one lol. Tyvm for the smaller patch, figure I might give it a shot against cm7 if I can find the build to download somewhere and remember what rom it's built off etc.

I actually had the same idea. I'm pretty sure I have cm7 on my computer somewhere still. I'll check later on and if you need I'll upload it wherever. As I recall cm7 was pretty close to complete

Sent from my XT862 using xda premium